Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY Dashboard Assembly

I removed my dashboard to fix a "pop" that I would get when raising one front wheel, like driving up a curb. It involves placing felt and a couple of teflon pads in strategic places. I documented the reassembly in case anyone wanted to see what's involved.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahc1c18/n/...Board_color_pdf

Edited by blue2000s

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's not a bad job, actually, as long as you stay organized. There's not really any specialty tools involved, nothing's prohibitively heavy or cumbersome, and there aren't may things that need "adjusting" or fine tuning to get back together.

Orient Express - I didn't take any pictures while the dash was coming off, but the assembly instructions can pretty much be followed in reverse for disassembly. The only big thing that I can think of on the dash removal that isn't noted in installation is to be sure to set the front wheels straight before taking off the steering wheel, mark the steering wheel and shaft positions before pulling the wheel off with some white-out, and be careful not to pull or twist the airbag ring when working in the area once the steering wheel is off. Be careful with the little protruding "fingers" that interface the airbag ring to the steering wheel, they're fragile and will break easily. Also, if you think you have all the screws out and the dash is ready to come out, but when you pull it out, it's not coming, don't force it, there are probably a couple more screws that you forgot. That was the case for me with the bracket that holds the ignition switch to the inside of the dashboard and the screw at the top center of the dash that attaches to the windshield defroster plenum.