Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interior light control panel switch defect.

2003 Cayenne Turbo.

I have an issue with the interior light control slide switch located adjacent the rear vision mirror.

The switch seems intermittant in all its positions and does not work in the extreme right 'automatic' position.

Anyone able to advise on how to remove the roof console in order to access the switch mechanism?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Any tips on how to remove the console from the roof?

I have removed the two screws from inside the sunglass holder and have pulled the rear part of the console down. The problem is I cannot seem to release the front part of the console from the ceiling adjacent to the mini middle sunvisor. It feels like I will break something if I pull any harder.

Thanks in advance.

RFM, which side does the light panel release from.

I am levering the lens from the front and back and it doesn't want to let go, it springs back in to its home position.

Any tips on the best way to remove the light lens?

doesnt matter - springs on the sides. pull out light lense (it might be in you manual as you need to be able to change thouse light bulbs). there are two screws there. i have two more under storage for glasses (dont know if you have that)

Thanks for the info for lens/panel removal.

Managed to disassemble the unit and found the centre contact tab to have localised heating damage around the plastic base, which was slightly melted and allowed the contact to move slightly preventing a positive contact surface.

Repair was carried out by bending the contact tabs for a more positive contact with the sliding metal tab and filling in the melted plastic base under the damaged contact surface with epoxy resin.

Operation is now 100% in all positions. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to disassemble the unit and found the centre contact tab to have localised heating damage around the plastic base, which was slightly melted and allowed the contact to move slightly preventing a positive contact surface.

Repair was carried out by bending the contact tabs for a more positive contact with the sliding metal tab and filling in the melted plastic base under the damaged contact surface with epoxy resin.

My 2004 S had exactly the same problem, found the exact same melt point under the center contact and I did the exact same repair except I filled the melted gap under the contact with a similar piece of thin plastic coated with super glue...also 100% fix. This is clearly a design problem Was at the dealer the other day, 2009 has same flimsy switch set-up. Guess some of the electronics never got long term testing and the flaw lives on.

• 11 months later...

My center dome light is not working in either position, to include the DOOR position (light comes on with door open). I didn't see in anyone's post if that was the case w/r to this topic. Did your light not turn on when the door was open either?

Matt

• 1 year later...

can you post a DIY mine also stopped working if I tap on the middle light switch the light comes on but then it goes off like if a contact is loose

• 1 year later...

Hi bigbuzuki and mjg928:

I have the exact same problem as you. 2004 Cayenne S, center upper panel light dead. Ruled-out bulb and fuses.

Thanks to this thread and your posts (I love Renntech.org) I was able to remove my panel. I placed the panel on a table upside-down and was ready to go for it, copy what you did to repair, but I could not see where the faulty switch was -- I saw the switch, but not where the fault was.

Did you have to remove any circuit boards from the panel to find the switch? Do you have pics or can you describe the switch location a bit more -- where it failed? (I reassembled everything but will pull it out again.)

Thanks!

Edited by odix

You have to remove the large circuit board to reveal the switch underneath.

There are about 5 screws to remove to release the board.

You also have to remove the remote garage opener module which is located near the board and unplug some connections.

It's all quite basic once you remove the circuit board.

• Upvote 2

Update: I set aside some time and was was able to again remove the the lens, the panel (four T15 screws), and detached all the cables.

I put the panel on a static-fee cloth and removed the circuit board and homelink/garage transmitter (small T6 screws), detached the proper cables and got the small plastic bits and metal spring off the switch. (The T6 tool was all I needed once the panel was removed.)

The middle metal switch had visible melting underneath and the sides and had sunk down a bit -- exactly as bigbuzki and mjg928 described. It's a hassle that the place the melting occurs is the main plastic structural panel housing.

Patience was key -- some of the pieces around the switch are delicate and very brittle plastic. Again a big thanks bigbuzki and mjg928 -- they described it perfectly and gave me the courage to go for it.

I was able to loosen the center metal post (the plastic had melted enough that it had slightly bonded to the post) and prop it back up with a small tabs and epoxy, so it aligned with the left and right metal posts. I confirmed visually and with feel that switch worked, did not damage anything, nothing shorted, etc. Then I reassembled everything and installed the panel back into the Cayenne.

And...foiled! No luck. I can tap the switch and its works briefly but I failed to repair it. I need the lights to turn on when the doors open (far right selection). The upside is I did no damage, everything else works as it should, homelink (settings intact), the two accessory lights, etc.

I took pics of the entire process but it would be somewhat ridiculous post them here for my job not well done.

I'll send a personal message to RFM, he mentioned a repair kit being available. ("There is a repair set available for the front interior light on Cayenne.")

I'm obsessed with getting this fixed. Ideally I would not have fully reinstalled the panel before I tested the switch but I ran out of time and the car was needed. And, frankly, I'm not sure what else I could have done. As bigbuzuki said, it's quite basic once you can see the damage and what is needed to repair. (At least I'm now an expert on removing the panel.)

If I do get this repaired I will post yet again and include photos. The irony is, when I purchased the vehicle (CPO) I plugged in a CTEK and literally sat in in the driver's seat for hours reading the manual and testing all the settings so I would not have to ask stupid questions here on Renntech. And, the entire time I was reading I had the interior light on, slowly melting the housing...

Edited by odix

The amount of melted plastic housing around my switch apparently made it too difficult for me to epoxy and properly line-up the tabs so I PM'd RFM and he gave me some tips on what to order. The folks at Sunset Porsche are shipping me a repair kit (Renntech.org discount).

>

Thank you for your inquiry with Sunset Porsche Parts. There is a kit for this repair. It may come with a couple extra pieces but the only way to get the parts you need is to order the kit. With your discount pricing, the kit is currently $83.24 (plus shipping to get to you).

Once you are ready to place this order, we could get it from the warehouse, which usually takes 3-5 business days, and then we can ship it to you.

Since we are a Porsche dealership, these are genuine factory Porsche parts.

>

Once I have the parts and have it repaired I'll post an update. And if anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll put together a DIY document. Thanks again all.

• Like 1

Sunset Porsche sent the parts (really fast service by the way) -- Sunset is awesome. 15 minutes after opening the box, all fixed.

Thanks again to all in the thread for overall info and to RFM for the specifics.

Update: for those of you with the same issue, I posted a DIY with pictures and basic description of the steps. In the Cayenne (9PA, 9PA1) - Common Fixes and Repairs DIY section.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/269-2004-cayenne-s-center-ceiling-panel-melted-housing-repair/

Edited by odix

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 2/28/2012 at 12:16 AM, odix said:

Sunset Porsche sent the parts (really fast service by the way) -- Sunset is awesome. 15 minutes after opening the box, all fixed.

Thanks again to all in the thread for overall info and to RFM for the specifics.

Update: for those of you with the same issue, I posted a DIY with pictures and basic description of the steps. In the Cayenne (9PA, 9PA1) - Common Fixes and Repairs DIY section.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/269-2004-cayenne-s-center-ceiling-panel-melted-housing-repair/

Hi Just joined and was trying to find this fix for our Cayenne but sadly the link seems to have expired. I know its a very old post but hopefully someone cant point me in the right direction

cheers

• Like 1