Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sirius SAT Radio - MOST Integration SUCCESSFUL - 997

Sirius SAT Radio - MOST Integration SUCCESSFUL - 997

Folks, I successfully installed the Sirius Satellite Radio into my 997 via the MOST fiber optic system. I have a 2006 997S with PCM 2.1B. I used the Cayenne Sirius Parts kit. Pix are below and the part numbers are below. Note that this is NOT supported by PAG. It is a custom installation using Cayenne parts. Note also that you must proceed at your own risk. You must have PCM 2.1B. When ordering parts kit, differentiate between XM or Sirius and whether or not you have a CD changer (diffe

Once again you post with those wonderful pic! :thumbup:

This is helping all of us who wanted it from the factory, but factory having yet to approve the install, let alone finding an antenna that matches just for the 997.

I'd advise anyone thinking about doing this to review this post here and on RENNLIST 997 forum for all details!

Can't wait for my C2S to arrive so it too can be retro-fitted with Sirus!

Thanking you once again big guy!

Regards,

Deanski

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I got my daughter a new car (her grad present :-) and it had satellite radio built-in and turned-on (trial period). It was the first time I tried satellite radio and I have to admit that I really liked it. So I checked ona retro fit with my Porsche dealer...they said that they've done a number of 997 retro fits with Cayanne parts and it works perfectly.

They said that the only small glitch is that the mounting of the new antenna is a custom fit because (as decribed in this thread). The installed cost is $1500 and they said that it would be perfect and look all original although the warranty would only be that of the parts department which I don't see as a problem.

I haven't done it yet as I'm considering the SRX built-in radar detector and I'd prefer to do both together and I'd prefer to do them myself...not just to save $...

A few weeks ago I got my daughter a new car (her grad present :-) and it had satellite radio built-in and turned-on (trial period). It was the first time I tried satellite radio and I have to admit that I really liked it. So I checked ona retro fit with my Porsche dealer...they said that they've done a number of 997 retro fits with Cayanne parts and it works perfectly.

They said that the only small glitch is that the mounting of the new antenna is a custom fit because (as decribed in this thread). The installed cost is $1500 and they said that it would be perfect and look all original although the warranty would only be that of the parts department which I don't see as a problem.

I haven't done it yet as I'm considering the SRX built-in radar detector and I'd prefer to do both together and I'd prefer to do them myself...not just to save $...

I am glad to see someone did the retro. i contacted PCNA and they actually admitted that the reason they did not offer SAT was b/c there was no where to mount the antenna that they would accept. how lame is that. now if i decide to keep the car i know it can be done. i did ask them about the Cayanne retro and of course they blew me off. but it only makes sense.

Folks,

I successfully installed the Sirius Satellite Radio into my 997 via the MOST fiber optic system. I have a 2006 997S with PCM 2.1B. I used the Cayenne Sirius Parts kit. Pix are below and the part numbers are below. Note that this is NOT supported by PAG. It is a custom installation using Cayenne parts. Note also that you must proceed at your own risk. You must have PCM 2.1B. When ordering parts kit, differentiate between XM or Sirius and whether or not you have a CD changer (different part numbers for CD changer or not CD changer).

The antenna replaces the NAV antenna under the cowl cover.

It works FANTASTIC.

:eek:

p.s. I also included antenna install pix in the cowl cover (under the wipers) (both before and after).

Wow! You're crazy. Good for you figuring this all out. How long did this project take you to do? I can take anything in the world apart, just getting it back can be a b****.

Folks,

I successfully installed the Sirius Satellite Radio into my 997 via the MOST fiber optic system. I have a 2006 997S with PCM 2.1B. I used the Cayenne Sirius Parts kit. Pix are below and the part numbers are below. Note that this is NOT supported by PAG. It is a custom installation using Cayenne parts. Note also that you must proceed at your own risk. You must have PCM 2.1B. When ordering parts kit, differentiate between XM or Sirius and whether or not you have a CD changer (different part numbers for CD changer or not CD changer).

The antenna replaces the NAV antenna under the cowl cover.

It works FANTASTIC.

:eek:

p.s. I also included antenna install pix in the cowl cover (under the wipers) (both before and after).

Wow! You're crazy. Good for you figuring this all out. How long did this project take you to do? I can take anything in the world apart, just getting it back can be a b****.

1080i, where are you located? I live in Atlanta, GA and would like to get this done, but don't know who to trust.

UPDATE:

Porsche NA has pulled the avalibility of the satellite kits for the Cayeene. What was avalible is no longer avalible. :censored:

It seems they (Porsche) got wind of what some dealers were doing (installing the sat kit) without an authorized TIB for the 997.

Going forward for Cayeene users, I'm sure if a VIN was provided the kit would be released to the dealer.

It looks as if Porsche may have a kit becoming ready for the 997 with improved antenna as the Cayeene does work, but was not designed for the 997 under cowl mount.

This is speculation as to the 997 satellite kit, but then again, why pull ALL satellite kits from in stock avalibility to unavalible? Porsche must be working on a resolution and I do hope soon.

By the way, my Sirius works great in my C2S!

If you doubt this, go to your parts department and try to order a kit. It will show none avalible.

Regards,

Deanski

UPDATE:

Porsche NA has pulled the avalibility of the satellite kits for the Cayeene. What was avalible is no longer avalible. :censored:

It seems they (Porsche) got wind of what some dealers were doing (installing the sat kit) without an authorized TIB for the 997.

Going forward for Cayeene users, I'm sure if a VIN was provided the kit would be released to the dealer.

It looks as if Porsche may have a kit becoming ready for the 997 with improved antenna as the Cayeene does work, but was not designed for the 997 under cowl mount.

This is speculation as to the 997 satellite kit, but then again, why pull ALL satellite kits from in stock avalibility to unavalible? Porsche must be working on a resolution and I do hope soon.

By the way, my Sirius works great in my C2S!

If you doubt this, go to your parts department and try to order a kit. It will show none avalible.

Regards,

Deanski

Dont count on it, i talked to PCNA directly and wrote them letters. They made it very clear to me that they have no intention of offering Sat for the 997 due to the lame excuse of antenna placement. I even asked them about the Cayenne retro and the would not comment. Now you say they are pulling the kit? Total BS if you ask me.

Thankfully for those of us that put in the kits.... we can take them with us and move them when we purchase new cars.... (if they never get around to making this available for the 997 again).

Mine is still working great except the occasional attempting to acquire signal.

~erik

• 2 weeks later...
Thankfully for those of us that put in the kits.... we can take them with us and move them when we purchase new cars.... (if they never get around to making this available for the 997 again).

~erik

Me too in regard to the acquiring signal! It does happen more near dusk and mostly under tree covered roads. Odd thing, when I was in my garage, the **** signal is fine!

I wish they (PCA) or someone come up with a new antenna for this! At one point, Germany was stating that they have a vendor working on an antenna for the "sport car" versions, but no ETA at all.

The other item is that I do not have the Sirius dog logo when I'm on satellite. But at least it works for the most part! Who needs the IPOD adapter when I have 7 CD's and satellite? Maybe if I was doing long trips I'd go with the IPOD, but no need to now! :D

Deanski

~erik

Even when installed as original equipment on my Cayenne Turbo I lose the signal more often than I expected. Out in the wide open it works pretty well, but driving down a tree lined street can result in a loss of signal. And sometimes I can go under a bridge with no loss and other times I get a loss that even lasts a few seconds after coming out from under the bridge. I guess it depends on the direction you are going in relation to the location of the satellite.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I rent a lot of cars for business trips and now you can get XM and Sirrus in rental cars. I have XM in my H2 and I rent a lot with Dollar and they use Sirrus. I like the programming on Sirrus better but I do notice Sirrus has more drop outs than XM does. I do not think it is your anttena placement so much as it is the Sirrus signal.

My wife and I have a 07 997 C2S Cab on order due in August.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on Sirius Sat installation? My dealer referred me to their "go to aftermarket guy" who was essentially clueless. Makes sense that the Cayenne kit would work but now you can't get your hands on them. No one at the dealership seems to have any idea as to whether a kit will come out for the 997. :help:

someone on the boxster board (www.ppbb.com) posted today that porsche is offering the caynenne kit for other cars now

8 hours book time for install!

aloha

steve

Any updates on Sirius Sat installation? My dealer referred me to their "go to aftermarket guy" who was essentially clueless. Makes sense that the Cayenne kit would work but now you can't get your hands on them. No one at the dealership seems to have any idea as to whether a kit will come out for the 997. :help:

I just checked with my local dealership again about the Sirius install, and got the blank stare followed by head scratching. They're generally are on top of things so I'll keep the board posted as to what they say. Some dealerships may be more open to using the Cayenne kit in the 997's. Cost may also be a factor( eg. it costs about $2200 to get a phone module installed even though it's only a $900 factory option...labor is not cheap).

Edited by Nsurg

someone on the boxster board (www.ppbb.com) posted today that porsche is offering the caynenne kit for other cars now

8 hours book time for install!

:huh:

AFAIK and it has not been confirmed, but PCA has not "approved" this install yet. I don't think dealers have the TIB or other announcements. Besides, last I hear, the vendor who makes the antennas is still developing a new antenna for the 997. That being said from a letter from Porsche Germany to one of the RENNLIST members who posted the info.

Therefore, most dealers will or will not do the install. It's a good money maker for the dealer as they really do not have to use a lift for install, so lift-time is not an issue. Cost me about $600 +/- labor for my kit install. A dealer that has a service staff that does not know how to install can contact other dealerships for info. Danbury Porsche in Danbury, CT is one.

Once in, if it's a Sirius unit, you'll get drop-outs often due to antenna location. I hear it's not so bad with XM. It may be a Sirius thing and if and when they get the other satellite into orbit, it may improve. Most drop-outs are in the AM and obviously under tree-lined roads. Depending on where you are that is.

So now it's go at your own risk as it will not be a warranty item. So far, no issues with my kit.

Deanski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is this a "do it yourself job"? I did the Sirius upgrade on my M5 even though it wasn't supported. However, it really only took about 90 mins.

Yes it is! Don't let anyone tell you different. If you know how to use a few minor tools, and have some patience in some tight areas, you'll do just fine. It is important to order the kit that is for the CD changer, whether or not you have one. The "Y" MOST harness that comes in this kit is essential and key to a sucessfull installation. It took me about 2.5 hrs to install and I didn't hurry. It works beautifully and I didn't have to take it to the dealer to hook up to their PIWIS tester as some have done or suggested. It's been working for over three weeks with no issues, and actually gets better reception than the Sirius in my Cayenne S. I would be glad to help anyone with any questions or if you are in the D.C. Metro area, perhaps I could assist you in person.

Steve

Thanks.

One other thing? Do I need to have NAV or CD changer in order to put in satellite? I don't have NAV in my S.

FWIW, I just completed my own XM install in my '06 C2S Cab. Like dbdr51 noted, the important thing is the Y cable from the kit made for the CD Changer. I don't have nav or a changer and had ordered the kit for "no cd changer" - mistake. After fighting the install, I figured out that it needed the other cable and overnighted it in. If you order the XM/Sirius kit for the Cayenne with a CD Changer, it should come together nicely.

It worked perfect as soon as it was activated - didn't require anything from my dealer.

Ryan

FWIW, I just completed my own XM install in my '06 C2S Cab. Like dbdr51 noted, the important thing is the Y cable from the kit made for the CD Changer. I don't have nav or a changer and had ordered the kit for "no cd changer" - mistake. After fighting the install, I figured out that it needed the other cable and overnighted it in. If you order the XM/Sirius kit for the Cayenne with a CD Changer, it should come together nicely.

It worked perfect as soon as it was activated - didn't require anything from my dealer.

Ryan

Did the kit come with any installation instructions? If not, what did you use to guide you as you installed it?

Thanks,

Rick

Ryan

Did the kit come with any installation instructions? If not, what did you use to guide you as you installed it?

Thanks,

Rick

No install docs - at least none that were worthwhile. Pretty simple to connect - the toughest part was antenna. You'll end up with several spare parts and probably a spare cable (for XM, anyway). In terms of connections, the power for the unit comes from the unused connector behind the carper to the left of the compartment where the CD changer mounts. I also removed some of the unused cables from the antenna bundle (optical, etc) that were Cayenne-specific; made for a cleaner install.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...