Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Picked Up Hard Top Last Night - Questions

I picked up a used hard top for my 2000 Boxster last night. It is from a 98, so it has the "ears" that cover attachment points for the roof transport system. This site was a great source of information on installation of the spin locks.

I have two questions:

1. The seller didn't have the cover for the latch that attaches to the windshield header. Does anyone know how much these cost and where I could buy it? Are there any recyclers who might sell them? It's not that bothersome that I want to spend a lot of money on it at the dealer.

2. It required several attempts for the seller and me to install the top. The driver's side rear wouldn't go in. Eventually, we aligned the pins in the holes and simultaneously closed the passenger's and driver's side spin locks and pressed the top in place. It went in and fit perfectly - no gap, wind leak or noise. I realize that you can adjust the top by loosening the allen bolts under the plastic covers. Is it worth fooling with in this case? Do you think the top will adapt to the shape of my car?

Thanks.

1. It depends on what is a lot of money to you. Part number 986.563.551.00+colour code - under $8.00

2. I'd advise you adjust the Hardtop, as no matter how hard the Germans or Finns tried, all cars will have flexed and 'settled' differently. If you have no leaks past the window seals when the soft top is up, use this as your datum and don't touch the windows at all.

a) Take off the plastic covers from each side of the hardtop and loosen the five alen bolts each side so you can just move the spinlocks in both planes.

b ) Open both doors and fully lower the windows, get your assistant to offer up the hardtop, clip in at the screen, make sure the spinlocks drop in, latch the top at the screen then make sure the top is sitting squarely on the car.

c) Give each spinlock a 45° turn, then carefully using a 5mm drill as a spacer, have your assistant gently press down on the top to provide a 5mm gap between the metal of the top and the bodywork on both sides, tightening the alen bolts each side. The remaining 45° turn on the spinlocks will make the top 'snug'.

d) Now have a look at the side window seals. On one side, gently pull the seal out of the aluminium channel - revealing the channel retaining screws. Loosen the screws enough to give some lateral movement of the channel. You will notice there is still a small strip of rubber on the outside of the channel - this forms the seal to the window. Now close the door and close the window, taking care that you and your assistant guide it into the slot with the small strip of rubber providing even pressure to the window. It doesn't require much, just even.

e) Hold the channel in this position, reopen the window and tighten the screws, then start at one end of the rubber seal and push back into the alumium channel in small increments. Repeat for the other side window and your hardtop will be fitting and sealing perfectly.

Edited by 0586slb
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I've only had the car 3 months, and $8 is the least expensive item I've had to buy for it.

I washed the car with the top on it today, and I didn't notice any leaks, so maybe I won't have to adjust the window.

• 2 months later...
  • 14 years later...

Reviving this old topic.

Recently acquired a '97 stuttgart built 986 that came with a hardtop (a first for me) that the previous owner had never installed. Figured out I needed to install the B-pillar receptacles (see below) but could not get the locking levers to fully engage in the rearmost position.

After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to get them to lock all the way without using too much force (which could break the small 3mm pin that affixes the lever to the locking bolt) by loosening (just a bit) all 5 x 5mm hex bolts on either side, allowing the bracket to move around just enough that it would position the bolt correctly while making the final 20-30 degrees of locking twist. Not sure if the little squirt of WD40 helped, but don't think it hurt..

Once the levers were in place, I pushed down on the top - holding the hardtop down to properly seal around the tonneau, and fasten all 2 x 5 hex bolts. Going to leave everything in place for a while so it can settle and keep an eye on the seal over the next few days.

Edited by flyingpenguin

If the hard top hadn't been installed for over 20 years, the metal may have flexed so that it slightly out of shape.  I expect that it needs time to conform to the shape of your car.  I had a very difficult time fitting mine the first time, but subsequent installations have gone smoothly.

By the way - this thread is a trip down memory lane for me.