Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition switch update

• Moderators

Looks like Porsche finally give up with the Audi/VW plastic ignition switch. The one that has been revised 4 times over the years. My 1997 has been replaced twice. Once under warranty due to electrical problems and then years later under the recall - sorry - service action.

TSB was issued 3 months ago. As of September 2003 there is a new switch installed in production cars. But the new switch does not fit in the older steering wheel lock. The new super duper switch only fits in the - you guessed it - the new steering wheel lock. A $30 typical switch replacement part cost is now a $115 lock replacement.

An experienced mechanic can replace the old style switch in about 5 minutes. The lock assembly replacement takes more time

The TSB says the old switch is not available. But Porsche still has them in the US unless they decide to pull them. But, there is always Audi/VW.

Update. Porsche has in fact pulled the switch so now you just buy it as an Audi/VW part.

ignition_switch2.sized.jpg

ignition_lock_with_lables.sized.jpg

Edited by Tool Pants

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

When I met Peter he had already installed the new version lock/switch so I did not watch him do it. He said you remove 2 bolts and then press on a button and the entire assembly comes out. I think he said the key had to be in the ignition when you did this. No special tools.

Only time will tell if this new version switch is any better. The old version changed design 4 times. I had some version put in my 1997 Boxster under the recall 3 years ago and it has been fine.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the VW/AUDI PN? I called Stevens Creek asking for the 4A0 905 849 B, and they mentioned the $122 cost for the whole widget. I asked the guy to look at Audi parts but he mentioned only the $122 deal.

I have a link on ebay for a AUDI PN 80 90 100 A4. His specs say it can be used on Boxster?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My 98 Boxster infrequently has an issue with the ignition switch. Reading through these posts, I do not know if my car's problem requires replacement of the ignition switch. Over the past few months, this has only happened twice, so I am not too worried. However, sometimes, I can not turn the key once it is in the ignition. Like, it will not budge for a few seconds, and then I can wiggle it a little and then start the car. What is going on? Please help... it's strange. Thanks.

James

• 3 years later...

My ignition switch finally failed. when I try to turn off the car to positon 0, it feels mushy, not a positive click. I can remove the key but the car remains on.

I had to disconnect the battery or it would go dead.

I searched this site and found the following resolutions.

1. replace the ignition switch with a $15 part.

2. replace the entire assembly with the new assembly, $120+ (was an older thread)

I went to a local independent service/parts/dealership and they told me that if the switch did not turn to the position 0 that I might have to replace the entire assembly.

but he could order the part or the entire assembly for me during the week.

I recently bought the Bentley manual that will arrive on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me if this manual covers changing out the entire assembly if required?

I am going to attempt the switch first. if that does not work, I want to be sure that I can start my car into the service bay the event that it is something that will require some type of special tools or something.

From what I have read, no special tools are required. just getting under the dash will be the hard part. probably removing the driver seat will be required too.

Kind regards,

Halo

• Admin
My ignition switch finally failed. when I try to turn off the car to positon 0, it feels mushy, not a positive click. I can remove the key but the car remains on.

I had to disconnect the battery or it would go dead.

I searched this site and found the following resolutions.

1. replace the ignition switch with a $15 part.

2. replace the entire assembly with the new assembly, $120+ (was an older thread)

I went to a local independent service/parts/dealership and they told me that if the switch did not turn to the position 0 that I might have to replace the entire assembly.

but he could order the part or the entire assembly for me during the week.

I recently bought the Bentley manual that will arrive on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me if this manual covers changing out the entire assembly if required?

I am going to attempt the switch first. if that does not work, I want to be sure that I can start my car into the service bay the event that it is something that will require some type of special tools or something.

From what I have read, no special tools are required. just getting under the dash will be the hard part. probably removing the driver seat will be required too.

Kind regards,

Halo

DIY Upgraded Ignition Switch/Lock Installation for 996/Boxster

Thanks Loren,

I looked at the TSB for the replacement number and I am going to attempt to replace the whole switch assembly.

charging the camera battery to post any additional photos if possible.

Halo.

:renntech:

Yes, more pics would be great.

Thanks!

Loren,

finished the DYI last night, took a bunch of photos of the steps that were involved and some that were not covered.

my question is, should I create a PDF or would it be better to add the photos right into the thread?

I would post in the my experience in the original location "DIY Upgraded Ignition Switch/Lock Installation for 996/Boxster"

please advise,

Halo

• Admin
Yes, more pics would be great.

Thanks!

Loren,

finished the DYI last night, took a bunch of photos of the steps that were involved and some that were not covered.

my question is, should I create a PDF or would it be better to add the photos right into the thread?

I would post in the my experience in the original location "DIY Upgraded Ignition Switch/Lock Installation for 996/Boxster"

please advise,

Halo

I would put them in the thread. Once in the thread it is easy to amke them into a PDF (if folks want that).