Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension Questions?

Hello,

I want to change my shocks and springs and I found those coilovers: Ksport Coilovers

Did anybody tried these already, if yes I would like to find out if they are worth buying or should I stick to RoW suspension. I've got Boxster stock suspension with almost 90K miles. 18'' wheels. Car is a daily driver.In future maybe autox, DE. I don't mind stiff setup.

Thank you for help.

Hello,

I want to change my shocks and springs and I found those coilovers: Ksport Coilovers

Did anybody tried these already, if yes I would like to find out if they are worth buying or should I stick to RoW suspension. I've got Boxster stock suspension with almost 90K miles. 18'' wheels. Car is a daily driver.In future maybe autox, DE. I don't mind stiff setup.

Thank you for help.

My opinion, FWIW, as a guy faced with the same decision 6 months ago: ROW M030 is T-H-E way to go for a street/track car. The difference in the handling is impressive to say the least. A bit stiffer, but not objectionable for every day use, but get a good alignment done and start hitting some tight corners hard, and I guarantee your mouth will drop when you begin to see what it can do. Roll is unnoticable, if any. It just plants and rails through the twisties. Drops the car just enough and gives it a more aggressive look as a bonus. Best $1000 I have spent by FAR.

Good alignment setup is critical. I also have 18's. I went -1.2 degrees front camber; -2.0 degrees rear camber; Front and rear toe both at at 1/32". Some like 0 toe front and 1/16" rear, but I was more comfortable with a touch of toe dialed in. Tire pressures I keep at 30psi for "spirited" driving or track, drop to 28 to soften the ride a little for long trips.

Andy

The price is pretty much the same (plus coils comes with top mounts). If you compare RoW M030 to a softest setting on coils, Is the coils still stiffer?

Well, that would depend a lot on the valving and spring rates of the specific units your looking at, but generally yes, they will still be stiffer even on the softest settings.

• 2 months later...
I will find it out in 2 weeks. I just ordered them.

Thanks for help

Please keep us updated.

K Sport has gotten reviews all over the board,some good some bad.

Their coilovers are really stiff from what I hear. A member on 986forum is trying to get springs that have a different spring rate because of how stiff they are.

Oh yes they are stiff.

I have found out that the rears are almost 500 lbs. Whereas the H and Rs and PSS9 are closer to the 300 range.

If you are installing the KSPORTS I would recommend installing the helper spring I understand that makes them better. Update us with what you think of them and after I figure out my spring rates or if I go with the helper spring I will update everyone here also.

I will find it out in 2 weeks. I just ordered them.

Thanks for help

Please keep us updated.

K Sport has gotten reviews all over the board,some good some bad.

Their coilovers are really stiff from what I hear. A member on 986forum is trying to get springs that have a different spring rate because of how stiff they are.

Oh yes they are stiff.

I have found out that the rears are almost 500 lbs. Whereas the H and Rs and PSS9 are closer to the 300 range.

If you are installing the KSPORTS I would recommend installing the helper spring I understand that makes them better. Update us with what you think of them and after I figure out my spring rates or if I go with the helper spring I will update everyone here also.

What does the spring rate mean exactly? K Sports are 500lbs. vs the 300 on other coilovers.....what does this translate to performance and ride wise?

Finding the spring rate info has been very hard. From what I can see no one knows or can release what oem rates are and the aftermarket spring rates are hard to come by.

From what I can figure out, the rate is how much force it takes to compress the springs 1 inch.

Cross uses 393/450

PSS9 260/345

H and R 220/230

If anyone has additions to this list please post them.

Oh yes they are stiff.

What does the spring rate mean exactly? K Sports are 500lbs. vs the 300 on other coilovers.....what does this translate to performance and ride wise?

Edited by Gary in BR

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Thank you for help.

My opinion, FWIW, as a guy faced with the same decision 6 months ago: ROW M030 is T-H-E way to go for a street/track car. The difference in the handling is impressive to say the least. A bit stiffer, but not objectionable for every day use, but get a good alignment done and start hitting some tight corners hard, and I guarantee your mouth will drop when you begin to see what it can do. Roll is unnoticable, if any. It just plants and rails through the twisties. Drops the car just enough and gives it a more aggressive look as a bonus. Best $1000 I have spent by FAR.

Good alignment setup is critical. I also have 18's. I went -1.2 degrees front camber; -2.0 degrees rear camber; Front and rear toe both at at 1/32". Some like 0 toe front and 1/16" rear, but I was more comfortable with a touch of toe dialed in. Tire pressures I keep at 30psi for "spirited" driving or track, drop to 28 to soften the ride a little for long trips.

Andy

Andy,

Where did you find M030 for $1K? I haven't been able to find anywhere near that price.

THanks,

Hung

• Moderators
Finding the spring rate info has been very hard. From what I can see no one knows or can release what oem rates are and the aftermarket spring rates are hard to come by.

From what I can figure out, the rate is how much force it takes to compress the springs 1 inch.

Cross uses 393/450

PSS9 260/345

H and R 220/230

Cross are also available with 450/500 (504) and 500/560.

The Cross coilovers (made by JIC) use standard 60mm dia, 150mm long springs and AFAIK the PSS9's use 2.5" dia 6" long springs, so you can get pretty much any spring rate you want with either of those setups. OTOH H&R uses a variable rate spring, so you are stuck with their choice of spring rate.

I have a set of the Cross 450/500's and I don't find the ride too harsh for the pretty decent roads around where I live. I do try to avoid potholes and manhole covers though :)

One last thing. Please use the 986 Boxster Suspension, Brakes, and Wheels sub-forum above for future suspension discussions.

Hello,

Thank you for help.

Andy

Andy,

Where did you find M030 for $1K? I haven't been able to find anywhere near that price.

THanks,

Hung

I got my setup here: Suncoast Porsche

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hung,Are U goint do the install urself?

Thanks! I ordered one from them for under $1K. Only problem is there is only one available and must be brought in from Germany, if Porsche inventory system is correct. Otherwise, up to 8 months !?!@*$

Waiting on pins and needles,

Hung

Hey Gary,I wonder if you heat your Coilovers for afew seconds each if you can reduce it without damaging them permanently?

Cross uses 393/450

PSS9 260/345

H and R 220/230

Oh yes they are stiff.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still debating although I am leaning towards DIY. Stefan said that it was pretty straight forward with no surprises. I'm all for saving $1K. I am expecting my kit by end of Feb.

Hey Hung,Are U goint do the install urself?

Thanks! I ordered one from them for under $1K. Only problem is there is only one available and must be brought in from Germany, if Porsche inventory system is correct. Otherwise, up to 8 months !?!@*$

Waiting on pins and needles,

Hung

Edited by pomocanthus