Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternate Jack Points

I've done a lot of searching and reading here on Renntech along with PCA's site and the web. I found several people talking about hockey pucks and such and I found three different "alternate jack points", but only the first two are referenced on Renntech (other than in someone's photo on a RMS post):

1. On the frame, just in front of the rear jack point. That makes me very nervous.
  2. Near the sump on the engine. I think that applied to the 996, though, and probably wouldn't work
  3. On the skid plate just behind (or in front if looking at the car front to back) the muffler. This makes the most sense and even seems to be the one the factory

The last one is referenced on PCA's site as:

Jack stands can be placed close to and under any of the four lower control arms by the ball joints. You can also place them under the rear lateral struts up to the third nuts from the front of the struts.

and

You can jack up the car from the rear at the

center of the car where the 2 nuts are for the bottom

support plate and then use the jack points for putting

the jack stand under.

and

After reading past questions you state that there are two bolts which attach a plate over the engine, it is these two bolts, which can be used to lift the car. However, there are two bolts near the rear of the plate right in front of the muffler and two bolts near the front of the plate. Should one lift using the rear "two bolts" or the front "two bolts"?

The 2 nuts in the rear are too weak to lift the car. To the left or right and foreward of those 2 nuts are 4 nuts that hold a support bar, those 2 nuts on either side is where you can jack up the car.

I find the PCA explanation confusing because it's not clear if they mean front of the car or front as if you're looking from the tailpipe forward.

I found a clearer photo of this jack point here with this photo:

JackSideView.jpg

What are your thoughts? How many have tried this jack point and is this the best one? Thank you in advance for your reply.

• Upvote 1

I use the one you describe from the PCA site - it's also the one recommended in the Bentley manual. Their [PCA's] explanation means toward front of car when looking under from tailpipe. There are 2 very similar looking locations...... one just in front of the muffler and the correct one on the forward side of the plate. The engine safety cable is bolted to the correct one (which is also the rear axle support) as shown here....

2588887970_0f49254481.jpg

Problem is.... w/out a long handled jack, it's tough to use the more forward one PCA recommends. So people will often use the rear one. Don't know if it's good or bad but if you look closely in the picture they are showing the rearward one being used (muffler just in foreground by jack - plus rainyday admitted to using it on another forum b/c they thought it was the correct one).

Edited by Cassiebox

Cassiebox - thanks for your reply - though I'm still not 100% sure and the diagram isn't exactly clear to me as I can't see the support cables under my car. I jacked her up and took a quick photo and then had way too much fun in PhotoShop. It would seem that you, Bentley, and the first PCA post refer to what I've labeled 'PCA Jack Pt "A"'. From their second description, it sounds like the two bolts on the side, 'PCA Jack Pt "B", and then I also labeled the RainyDay jack point as well. From what I see, the two "B" points look the most solid, and "A" looks too close to the engine. But I'm no expert - that's why I'm here asking :D

post-11589-1213759691_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackguyver

You'll see the cable when you look in a little further and up higher.....

Anyhow, nice job marking the photo - you identified all the locations. However, PCA pt B is a location for placing a jack stand, not necessarily a place to jack from. This spot is useful if your jack can't reach point A and you therefore need to raise one side at a time from the rear lift location. If your jack will reach point A (which it looks like it should if yours is in the photo) then you need not worry about pt B. When you raise the entire rear from A, you can easily place stands under both rear lift points at once. After you lower the car onto the stands, it's easiest to leave the jack in position and raise it back up to touch the crossmember again - but do not take the carrying load off the stands. This serves both as a double safety (in case a stand failed for any reason - unlikely) and eliminates the need to crawl back under to reposition the jack when you're ready to lower the car again ;)

Not sure where you searched previously, but here's a good thread w/ recommendations from Tool Pants, one of the resident experts here on Renntech.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...851&hl=jack

Cassiebox - thanks for your reply - though I'm still not 100% sure and the diagram isn't exactly clear to me as I can't see the support cables under my car. I jacked her up and took a quick photo and then had way too much fun in PhotoShop. It would seem that you, Bentley, and the first PCA post refer to what I've labeled 'PCA Jack Pt "A"'. From their second description, it sounds like the two bolts on the side, 'PCA Jack Pt "B", and then I also labeled the RainyDay jack point as well. From what I see, the two "B" points look the most solid, and "A" looks too close to the engine. But I'm no expert - that's why I'm here asking :D

post-11589-1213759691_thumb.jpg

Now that you know how to lift your car correctly, I hope you doing some cool mods to it B)

I just went outside (I work from home) and found that I was able to slip my jack under what I labeled 'PCA Jack Pt "A"'. I had about 3/4" clearance and bumped the jack handle on the exhaust tip for the first few pumps but was able to do it. I'm very glad I went for the low-profile jack, now :) The only bad thing was that I noticed my rear P-zeros have less tread left than I thought (maybe the autocross wasn't such a good idea - nah, it was fun).

As for upgrades, Uncle Sam and his friendly tax auditors have taken away several thousand of my "fun" dollars this year, so it might be a little while before I do anything big. I'm just focusing on maintenance for now - I've got 10 qts of Mobil1, a Motive bleeder, new plugs, and some other goodies on the way to keep my baby running well.

• 5 months later...