Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tequipment Parts

Loren & Don:

1. I am about to order the Carrera rear spoiler from Gert. His kit does not come with the wiring harness to deactivate the spoiler light. Is this necessary to fool the computer and not get the warning light? Do you have a part number?

2. My center console just arrived. Do you know what size Torx drivers I need for this project?

Thanks,

Eric

Couple of more Q's:

1. I bought the upper center console/A/C surround. It is a one-piece unit. Do you just just pry out the old one and put the new one in its place?

2. I also bought the door handles/storage covers. Can I assume the whole door panel doesn't have to come off to change these? Loren, I know you sent me detailed instructions of door replacement.

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi.

I can answer your door bin question, having just done this.

The door handles come off with a little prising using a butter knife but you need to be careful at the top ends not to snap off the correctors (easily done). The new ones just clip on.

The bin lids can be done in 2 ways:

1. The hard way is to pull out the steel bolt at the handle end of the handlewith some snub nose pliers-I abandoned this as it looked like these bolts were going to suffer from my repeated attempts. If you are successful with this, the bin lids will come off.

2. The easy way is to use a size 6 torx bit on a short handle and unscrew the small screws with the lid open. This was easy except for the screw near the handle end. However, after some manipulating it did come out easily. The new lids can then be screwed right on.

The key to this is to have the torx bit on the smallest handle you can find-mine was about 2 to 3 inches.

I am tod that the central console just snaps off with a butter knife. I was looking for a burr wood one which I haven't yet got so this mod will have to wait.

Im sure Loren will know how to get this off correctly!

Good luck.

RE: Torx drivers.

Porsche uses a wide variety of bolt sizes, I'd just pick up a complete Torx set at Home Depot or your local hardware place. Cheap and ultimately very useful. Another option, and more convenient, is a set of folding torx keys.

I've used virtually every bit in my set although there are one or two sizes that are used much more commonly.

The oil drain plug is an oddball XZN socket, more commonly used by Mercedes. That's the only non-standard fastener I've run across. In general I find my baby surprisingly easy to work on.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a Torx set at lunch.

Loren, my Cab is an '03. I'm just changing the surround piece (upside down U) with the cutouts for lighter, cab top, defroster, etc.

Thanks,

Eric

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 2/20/2012 at 4:44 PM, dtwinters said:

Thanks for this post Loren! One thing that I will mention to help others is that there are two tabs (#3 in the diagram), one centered just over each vent louver. This was tough for me to tell until I had it all apart.

Old thread but worth updating.  There are 2 tabs for the air vent removal, they are on either side of the center.  Go through the second louver so you can get a good angle.  The tabs have a small rectangular hole you grab with the corner of a flat end screwdriver and pull down as you are pulling out on the vent.  Do RH side first then do LH side to fully remove the vent.  First time is PITA but afterwards you will see its fairly easy.  Flashlight is your friend.

• Admin
56 minutes ago, BMiller33 said:

Old thread but worth updating.  There are 2 tabs for the air vent removal, they are on either side of the center.  Go through the second louver so you can get a good angle.  The tabs have a small rectangular hole you grab with the corner of a flat end screwdriver and pull down as you are pulling out on the vent.  Do RH side first then do LH side to fully remove the vent.  First time is PITA but afterwards you will see its fairly easy.  Flashlight is your friend.

The center console removal is different for MY02 and newer cars.