Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof Alignment

2002 986

I have an issue that's currently just an annoyance and hopefully isn't a sign of a major problem. With the top up, if I lower the passenger window, when I raise it, the window goes outside of the slot in the top. It is in the fully up position. Sometimes opening the passenger door (window goes down a bit) and closing it again fixes it, but usually I have to unlock the top latch, let the window go down a bit, then lock the latch again, and the window aligns perfectly. In addition, if I put the top down, when I put it up again the window aligns perfectly. This only happens with the top up. Would you consider this to be a window or a top alignment issue? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
2002 986

I have an issue that's currently just an annoyance and hopefully isn't a sign of a major problem. With the top up, if I lower the passenger window, when I raise it, the window goes outside of the slot in the top. It is in the fully up position. Sometimes opening the passenger door (window goes down a bit) and closing it again fixes it, but usually I have to unlock the top latch, let the window go down a bit, then lock the latch again, and the window aligns perfectly. In addition, if I put the top down, when I put it up again the window aligns perfectly. This only happens with the top up. Would you consider this to be a window or a top alignment issue? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

To try to narrow down whether the problem is with the window alignment (probable) or with the roof alignment, try the following:

Put the window all the way up, then open the door all the way to its stop. Then, standiing alongside the door (and blocking the door so that it doesn't move), grab the top edge of the window with both hands and push and pull it (outboard and inboard) and see if the top edge of the window actually moves appreciably outboard or inboard. If it does move, it will most likely pivot at a point about 4 inches below the top edge of the door, with the bottom legs of the window regulator assembly (seated on the horizontal bottom of the door fore and aft) shifting back and forth.

If it moves, then you have determined that one or both of the points at which the bottom legs of the window regulator assembly have come loose.

IIRC, it may be possible to make the adjustment (by moving the each leg's stud, probably a little outboard in your case) without taking the door apart.

Look under the door (the horizontal bottom part) and see if you can locate the (13 mm?) nut that is holding each leg in place and, if you move the stud that it is mounted on slightly outboard before tightening it down snugly) the top of the window will end up slightly more inboard at the top of its travel. There is one leg near the front and one near the rear of the door. Each nut will become visible after you remove the oblong shaped black rubber plugs that seal the openings that give you access.

There are two sets of black rubber plugs at each end. I think you want the ones that are on each end and closer to the middle than the others.

Here is a photo of one of the legs. This leg is on the driver's side door, towards the rear. The red arrow is pointing to the opposite side of the stud. The threaded part of the stud and the nut are on the underside.

post-6627-1222559514_thumb.jpg

You can also see the "other, outer" black plug just to the left of the base of the leg. You want the black plug that is directly under the stud, sealing the bottom of the door opening.

I hope I have remembered this correctly because I replaced the window regulator more than a year ago. I don't have my Boxster handy, but I'll check it out tomorrow and repost if necessary.

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.