Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

yet another dead battery issue on MY02

I've done pretty extensive searching on this topic but have yet to find my particular problem...please forgive me if I've missed this one on a previous post.

MY02 Boxster; tiptronic; top is down

Got home from a trip and inadvertently left key in ignition after unloading trunks, etc. After nearly a week, wife went to get in (her) car and found the key and a dead battery....oops. :o

Here's what I've done and checked:

1. Checked all fuses - none blown

2. Voltage at fuse block is only showing 2.3 VDC

3. applied 12VDC to red trunk jumper in fuse block - no help

4. applied 12VDC to fuse terminal C3 (remote/key lock) and tried key - key lights when sending signal but in the end, no help

5. battery booster to cig lighter several times for varying amounts of time - no help

6. regular battery charger w/ amperage cut back to cig lighter for varying amounts of time (up to 1 hr) - no help

7. searched Renntech and 986 forums for "dead battery" and "front trunk" issues - nothing with my exact problem

8. tried manually locking/unlocking the door w/ the key to disarm any alarm issues - no help. BTW, the alarm light is

not blinking. However, the radio alarm light IS

9. referenced Boxster factory service manual for information on front trunk access - no real help beyond what I've already

tried.

10. Would be nice to gain access to the starter and jump from that, but can't get to it because the top is down.

I've read on here that US Boxsters all have the front trunk emergency cable but the factory service manual doesn't support that...which is correct?

I'm thinking the battery has been pulled down so far that it is beyond recharging from the cig lighter, too far down to let the red trunk lock terminal work, and/or the battery has a "dead short" in it and is grounding any voltage attempts at the above.

Does anyone have thoughts on where to go from here? I'm going to improve on the original engineering once this is solved - I'll post my complete upgrade at that time so you guys never have to deal with this issue again.

Many thanks.

Edited by rodsnhawgs

All Boxster's have the emergency front and rear release cables.

Perhaps you are confusing it with the - inside the trunk emergency release cable (Trunk Entrapment) - those started in MY03.

Apparently that was/is the case...I'M IN!! Loren, once again, you are the man!! Watch for my fix.

As promised, I did a little re-engineering to make the problem of dead battery/locked front bonnet (trunk) access a little easier. Before proceeding to the fix, I’ll share a few things I learned during this rather frustrating event:

1. Never ever leave your key in the ignition for any length of time – it will drain the battery

2. The “red” pull-out tab in the fuse panel apparently is NOT a direct 12VCD link to the bonnet switch

3. Apparently ALL Boxsters have the manual bonnet release cable under the right (passenger side) front fender. Reading the various threads and the factory service manual can be confusing re MYs pre 2000 and post 2000. Mine is a 2002 and sure enough…the cable was there (thank goodness and the Porsche engineers).

4. The cigar lighter point is not sufficient to recharge an extremely depleted battery. Even if it were, I personally have my doubts that one could use it without a wiring meltdown…just my opinion, but my recommendation would be to avoid this route if at all possible if there is any question re the amount of amperage being transferred across this point.

On to the fixes. This is the first of two issues I plan to make changes to. The second will come later because I have to gather up some parts. Here’s version 1 involving the manual pull cable.

Porsche did a very sensible job of providing a (secure) manual backup. However, it’s so secure, it is a real ordeal to access. Therefore, my fix makes it easier to access while at the same time keeps things secure from the standpoint that most (Boxster-savvy) would-be criminals will likely assume the cable is factory OEM.

All I did was extend the OEM cable and loop it over the outer-most fender liner tab. I used .06” stainless cable. The extended cable works the same. Now we only have to remove one fender liner retainer to reveal the cable loop. A simple pull and we’re in.

I did make one change that is not shown in the pictures – the cable extension is actually routed BEHIND the horizontal cross member and held in place with a cable tie. Note that the pic of the two “loops” shows the cable running out of view to the left – this is to illustrate the two loops only.

post-11346-1222728329_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222728347_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729312_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729329_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729350_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729363_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729373_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729398_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729411_thumb.jpg

post-11346-1222729422_thumb.jpg

Edited by rodsnhawgs