Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant cap -03

Can anyone verifiy that there is a new updated cap .03?

Sputter:

There was one that was on a new 2009 997 with PDK transmission at the dealer about 1 month ago.

I have a photo of the .03 coolant reservoir cap but the photo upload feature does not seem to be working on Renntech right now.

I'll try to post the photo again later.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought my coolant cap from Suncoast about 8 month ago (before they released the 03 version). I called Suncoast and found out that if i take the bad coolant cap that i have to ANY Porsche dealer they will replace it free of charge as long as i have the invoice. They also told me that if i didn't have the invoice they would email me one. All original Porsche Parts have 2 years unlimited kilometer warranty on them and these warranties are honored at any Pporsche dealer.

I was very happy about. I did that on Saturday and it did work. :D

I bought my coolant cap from Suncoast about 8 month ago (before they released the 03 version). I called Suncoast and found out that if i take the bad coolant cap that i have to ANY Porsche dealer they will replace it free of charge as long as i have the invoice. They also told me that if i didn't have the invoice they would email me one. All original Porsche Parts have 2 years unlimited kilometer warranty on them and these warranties are honored at any Pporsche dealer.

Ramo:

Thanks for sharing that info. :cheers:

You just saved me a few dollars, and you will also be responsible for imparting that really good inner feeling I will get when my Porsche dealer has to actually give me something without being able to charge me for it. :cheers: :cheers:

I know they will be reluctant to do it because on one of my only two visits to this dealer they just ignored their responsibility to replace my old, orginal gas cap which they pointed out to me had been recalled. The other visit they soaked me good for a key replacement. They have been plying me with discount offers ever since.... but they are going to have to get up pretty early.....! :P

Regards, Maurice.

Ramo:

Thanks for sharing that info. :cheers:

You just saved me a few dollars, and you will also be responsible for imparting that really good inner feeling I will get when my Porsche dealer has to actually give me something without being able to charge me for it. :cheers: :cheers:

I know they will be reluctant to do it because on one of my only two visits to this dealer they just ignored their responsibility to replace my old, orginal gas cap which they pointed out to me had been recalled. The other visit they soaked me good for a key replacement. They have been plying me with discount offers ever since.... but they are going to have to get up pretty early.....! :P

Regards, Maurice.

Just remember, They have to check the old cap and make sure that it is defective. I proved it by showing them the mist on the bottom of my trunk lid.

• 2 weeks later...
Just remember, They have to check the old cap and make sure that it is defective. I proved it by showing them the mist on the bottom of my trunk lid.

Hi, I also have this mist (condensation), even after I replaced my cap with a new 03 version. From my research on this board ( :renntech: ) this could be caused by worn o-rings on the bleeder valve housing. I have yet to verify that this is what is causing this on my car, but just wanted to let you guys know that the condensation could have other causes than a bad cap.

Atle

Hi, I also have this mist (condensation), even after I replaced my cap with a new 03 version. From my research on this board ( :renntech: ) this could be caused by worn o-rings on the bleeder valve housing. I have yet to verify that this is what is causing this on my car, but just wanted to let you guys know that the condensation could have other causes than a bad cap.

Atle

Atle:

If you have a new coolant cap and you are still getting condensation on the underside of the trunk lid, the problem is definitely in the bleeder valve assembly. It's either the o-rings or one of the two rubber gaskets that you will find in there. Sometimes the rubber gaskets get "warped" or get a pinhole in them.

There was a write up on PPBB.com, with photos and part numbers. If I find the link, I'll post it here.

Regards, Maurice.

Atle:

If you have a new coolant cap and you are still getting condensation on the underside of the trunk lid, the problem is definitely in the bleeder valve assembly. It's either the o-rings or one of the two rubber gaskets that you will find in there. Sometimes the rubber gaskets get "warped" or get a pinhole in them.

There was a write up on PPBB.com, with photos and part numbers. If I find the link, I'll post it here.

Regards, Maurice.

It was not easy to get my non-macro lens to capture this, but as you can see there is a lot of yellow residue around the bleeder assembly. Better change out the o-rings and gaskets - and perhaps the entire assembly if its not too expensive? The residue looks yellow, as does the coolant. Is this normal?

Atle

post-32293-1242652144_thumb.jpg

Edited by atta

It was not easy to get my non-macro lens to capture this, but as you can see there is a lot of yellow residue around the bleeder assembly. Better change out the o-rings and gaskets - and perhaps the entire assembly if its not too expensive? The residue looks yellow, as does the coolant. Is this normal?

Atle

post-32293-1242652144_thumb.jpg

Atle:

This is NOT normal. The entire assembly can be replaced, and it is not expensive.

However, since it's a relatively easy DIY, with easy access, buy the O-rings first and change those out. If you inspect the diaphram and gaskets and they are serviceable it will be a very inexpensive repair. If you still get condensation or leaking/residue, then you can change the entire assembly.

The only caution with this repair is to be very careful not to overtighten those long, thin bolts. They can easily shear off, and then it's likely you will need a whole new coolant tank.

Regards, Maurice.

Atle:

This is NOT normal. The entire assembly can be replaced, and it is not expensive.

However, since it's a relatively easy DIY, with easy access, buy the O-rings first and change those out. If you inspect the diaphram and gaskets and they are serviceable it will be a very inexpensive repair. If you still get condensation or leaking/residue, then you can change the entire assembly.

The only caution with this repair is to be very careful not to overtighten those long, thin bolts. They can easily shear off, and then it's likely you will need a whole new coolant tank.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks. Is changing the entire assembly the same amount of work as just changing the o-rings?

Looks like a very straight forward DIY. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14754

Atle

Edited by atta

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. Is changing the entire assembly the same amount of work as just changing the o-rings?

Looks like a very straight forward DIY. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14754

Atle

It's the same amount of work. AFAIK the only other parts that can cause problems in there are the two gaskets/membranes.

Regards, Maurice.