Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Input requested: buying a 2000 Boxster

My first post... I'm very excited about (soon to be) becoming a first time Porsche owner.

I am very close to buying the car listed below and would like some input from all of you -- the experts -- on what you think.

The price has been haggled down to $12k out the door, which seems like a pretty good price.

2000 Boxster 2.7

55k miles

5spd

Silver exterior / gray-black interior

outside edge of 3 rims are scratched -- used as curb feelers

small gouge/rip in RH part of dash

driver seat upholstery is worn, small rip in seat bottom

RH airbag door is loose -- I verified airbag is still there

I had a PPI performed at a local Porsche dealer (SF bay area). These are some of the results:

• needs a clutch
  • needs front brakes
  • spark plug tubes leaking
  • mud flap missing (??)
  • tools missing
  • needs hood latch
  • suspension looks good
  • no RMS leak
  • frame looks good
  • great paint

So whaddya think?

(btw, love the site and look forward to actually performing some of the work in the DIY and Mods sections!)

Wow, really? This is good to know.

Regarding e-bay, I don't see much available in this price range (+ a couple grand) within 250 miles of my area. The only couple that are somewhat comparable have many, many more miles or had frame damage.

The one repair I wouldn't be able to do is the clutch, so I would have to invest about $1k at a reputable independent shop. The $12k price includes tax and license (about $1k), so the sticker price of the car is $11k.

Well, thanks for giving me more to chew on... much appreciated ;-)

Definitely sounds like a lot of work :huh: ...for the money you'll invest, you should definitely be able to find a good deal. ;) Car sounds a little rough for 55K miles...I have 137K on my Boxster and the only thing I've done on the list you've provided is front brakes. I'm the original owner, but my front seats are like new; and my Boxster is a daily driver.

Best of luck on your Porsche. Happy Holidays!

Bill B)

Three years ago, when the car market wasn't depressed, I purchased a 98 Tip with 28K for $18K. There was nothing wrong with the car and all I have done so far with 60K on the clock is routine maintenance. Even if you have to travel a couple of hours you should be able to find a nicer one for less money. The truth is that it is a buyers market and with money , you rule. Ed

Heh, heh.. I admit, the Porsche fever has hit me. I test drove the vehicle again and the CC doesn't work + the CEL came on. It is indeed a rough one. I'm moving on and resuming my search. Many Thanks.

For a point of reference I bought my 1999 Boxster for $12.5 from a private party in early November. 25k miles, Arctic Silver Ext., Premium Boxster Red leather Int., sport package, and factory hardtop included. After having my mechanic take a look at it, I spent about $1300 getting the oil changed, one leaky piece replaced (oil fill tube) and two new front tires. The rear tires had about 200 miles on them. The interior is perfect. The car smells like it is new still. It was an amazing deal!

That said, times are tough right now and there are plenty of deals out there. Be patient and really make sure the one you find is "the one." Trust me once you buy it all you'll want to do is drive it, not nickel and dime your way through repairing it.

Cheers,

-Jeremy

All good advice...it sounds like the car you were considering has been abused. Who knows what oil change intervals were and how the car was driven? Definately buyer's market; look a little further away for the right car...a road trip is always fun!

I bought my '02 S in Texas with 8k miles on the clock...flew down and drove it home to Chicago and had a blast (helluvalot cheaper than enclosed shipping).

All good advice...it sounds like the car you were considering has been abused. Who knows what oil change intervals were and how the car was driven? Definately buyer's market; look a little further away for the right car...a road trip is always fun!

I bought my '02 S in Texas with 8k miles on the clock...flew down and drove it home to Chicago and had a blast (helluvalot cheaper than enclosed shipping).

Out of curiosity, when did you buy it and how much did you pay? I'm now looking at a very clean '00 in Texas with a Carrera front-end.

thanks!

"Out of curiosity, when did you buy it and how much did you pay? I'm now looking at a very clean '00 in Texas with a Carrera front-end. thanks!"

I bought over three years ago; a whole different world then. Paid $33.4 if my memory still works; very clean, like new car (it still is, as I've just broke 15k miles).

If I'm not mistaken, the '00 in Texas with the Carrera front end is a poster on 986Forum under the name of Jeph...here's a link to his ad:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/962242486.html

Edited by jmatta