Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cheapest way to obtain PST2

So here's the question,

I have the durametric software already, which is fine for checking on codes etc. I'd really to get something better, preferably so I can change settings, add and program a new key to my vehicle, etc. I don't feel or see the need to purchase a completely new laptop or the Porsche touch screen bosch knock-off for $2500.

I'm a pretty computer saavy guy, in fact my job is software engineering. I've got more laptops, servers, and old pcs laying around the house that I can't justify paying more for things I already have.

For an 00' boxster S, I don't quite fully understand what the difference is between the KTS 500 and the PST2, or if an even older model such as the KTS 300 would even work. I don't understand the relationship as to why people are saying they need a PST2 vs. a KTS 500 and what the differences or "lack of functionality" exists between them.

On the otherhand, isn't there some simplistic way to either "build" an interface cable, purchase whatever PCMCIA card you need for a laptop, and obtain and install the software yourself vs. paying for a closed-loop system? What's the value in a PST2 / KTS 500? I assume it's the "key" to unlocking all the things you normally have to take your car to a porsche dealership for, such as programming a new key to your porsche?

Thoughts? :huh:

• Upvote 1

So here's the question,

I have the durametric software already, which is fine for checking on codes etc. I'd really to get something better, preferably so I can change settings, add and program a new key to my vehicle, etc. I don't feel or see the need to purchase a completely new laptop or the Porsche touch screen bosch knock-off for $2500.

I'm a pretty computer saavy guy, in fact my job is software engineering. I've got more laptops, servers, and old pcs laying around the house that I can't justify paying more for things I already have.

For an 00' boxster S, I don't quite fully understand what the difference is between the KTS 500 and the PST2, or if an even older model such as the KTS 300 would even work. I don't understand the relationship as to why people are saying they need a PST2 vs. a KTS 500 and what the differences or "lack of functionality" exists between them.

On the otherhand, isn't there some simplistic way to either "build" an interface cable, purchase whatever PCMCIA card you need for a laptop, and obtain and install the software yourself vs. paying for a closed-loop system? What's the value in a PST2 / KTS 500? I assume it's the "key" to unlocking all the things you normally have to take your car to a porsche dealership for, such as programming a new key to your porsche?

My thought is your best answers are going to come from Duram the developer of durametric. He's always quick to answer my questions and he could explain to you better then anyone (as software geek to software geek) the concerns with cables and propritary code. Duram will develop and fix things on demand, he did for me and getting the HVAC values a few years back. If he had the oppertunity to do security based items he would and there is a reason for it is my guess. I believe reading from him years ago that that data is propriatary from Porsche. Now you argument is why cannot the right cable and such solve those needs, which I cannot answer...but I know he can. Drop him a line through his website and you'll get more info then you need...he's as sharp a guy as I would expect.

But then again maybe someone on here knows better...

• Upvote 1

I think you should write an open-source diagnostic program and share it with us.

Or even better, an App for my iPhone with a wireless interface.

Lol... yea i'll get RIGHT on that ;) :eek:

I sometimes wonder if Durametric is holding back features because Porsche doesn't want them to be public. Might be worried about being sued.

But for a backyard mechanic you can do pretty much anything to your own car. And if you can hack into the DME i am sure there would be plenty of people that would wax your car for free in order to get a deeper look into their cars. Start writing the code...

This is a great book that gets you thinking about what is possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Management-Sy.../ref=pd_sim_b_5

• Admin
So here's the question,

A KTS 500 is not a PST2. A PST2 has Porsche specific software and an interface cable that different from the generic KTS 500.

You can turn a KTS 500 into a PST2 (clone) with the right cable and software.

There is no difference between the capabilities of a PST2 on the property hardware and a PST2 on a laptop - the Bosch I/F box for voltage inputs has always been an option.

So here's the question,

A KTS 500 is not a PST2. A PST2 has Porsche specific software and an interface cable that different from the generic KTS 500.

There is no difference between the capabilities of a PST2 on the property hardware and a PST2 on a laptop - the Bosch I/F box for voltage inputs has always been an option.

So as a matter of "budget" per say Loren... What's the easier most cost effective way to go about obtaining it, and where would you suggest getting a hold of the necessary parts? I've tried google searches on PST2 hardware, the Bosch PCMIA card etc, and have found very little.

I think Porsche restricts a lot of the alarm-related and key-programming functions for the security of the cars. If the cables and software were cheap and readily available, you know there would be people reprogramming stolen cars and rolling back odometers like it was going out of style.

• 1 year later...

Not as good as that kit but just to let you know, I purchased a goLink cable & downloaded the free goLink iPhone app which allows me to pull the OBD2 codes & sensor inputs onto my iPhone. Works pretty well & charges the iPhone at the same time, so technically I suppose you could dock the iPhone each time you drive & look for trends if you so wish. The data is squirted off to FuzzyLuke, which logs most of it on your (free) account.

No, I don't work for any of the above-mentioned (I work for an airline), I just thought I'd throw it into the ring for info.

I too would like to get hold o a cheap solution for the PST2 so I could do more jobs (eg. bleed brakes on my S with PSM).

Cheers,

Matt

www.fuzzyluke.com

http://gopointtech.com/blog/2009/10/13/golink-is-worlds-first-obd-ii-iphone-accessory/

• 4 years later...

Did anyone come up with a way to build a PST2?

I already have a Mercedes Star Xentry laptop with Durametric installed on it, but I am frequently finding limitations with Durametric, eg not pulling all the fault codes, not identifying all the modules in the car, inverting parts of the fault codes, detecting a fault in a module but not providing a fault code etc.

My ideal solution would be a single workshop laptop that I use for online manuals/forums, Mercedes and Porsche PST2 diagnostics (with the appropriate cables). I don't want to keep a different laptop / scanner in my garage for each car brand I have.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Did anyone come up with a way to build a PST2?

I already have a Mercedes Star Xentry laptop with Durametric installed on it, but I am frequently finding limitations with Durametric, eg not pulling all the fault codes, not identifying all the modules in the car, inverting parts of the fault codes, detecting a fault in a module but not providing a fault code etc.

My ideal solution would be a single workshop laptop that I use for online manuals/forums, Mercedes and Porsche PST2 diagnostics (with the appropriate cables). I don't want to keep a different laptop / scanner in my garage for each car brand I have.

As Loren noted above, you need to find a correct Bosch PCMCIA card in order to build one, and that will not be easy.

• 2 years later...
On 1/14/2009 at 0:00 PM, Loren said:

HI,

I am interested to know more about your suggestion that a KTS500 can be turned into a PST2 (clone)...      Can a KTS550 be used or is this clone strictly KTS500?

Matt

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Matt_o_70 said:

HI,

I am interested to know more about your suggestion that a KTS500 can be turned into a PST2 (clone)...      Can a KTS550 be used or is this clone strictly KTS500?

Matt

I see no reason a KTS 550 would not work as it is just an enhanced version of the KTS 520 - which does work.

Of course you would need the proper OBD II cable and software.

• 2 months later...

I see. It's too bad they don't update to current times and get an app for android and Apple. I use Torque via a Bluetooth connection. I'm still learning about Porsche since this is my first (1999 996 Carrera) and there was a lot of issues that I'm killing off one by one with it. A PST2 might resolve my remote key issues. Maybe I will be able to catch one of the pancake breakfast meetings and find some local Porsche owners that can teach me more about my car. This site has been very educational for me. :)