Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adding Factory Keyless Entry/Alarm

Hi guys,

I am a new owner of a 99' Boxster. I purchased a "no option" Boxster, but am a proud owner none the less :rolleyes: . It didn't come with keyless entry/alarm. I asked a local dealer how much it would cost to add factory keyless entry, and he said it would be impossible for less than $10k, yes that's a k, and that basically the wiring harness of the car would have to be replaced.

Then the search began, I saw a posting from Tool Pants for this part:

000 044 900 32

and this description: boxster retrofit remote control interior monitoring anti-theft device. It's a $520 part. No one i have talked to knows anything about this part though. Whether or not it is indeed the keyless entry/alarm (although the description sounds like it)

I have another local dealer checking out what the part actually does. He told me that there is only 1 available in the whole world and that it is in Germany, but that it could be ordered.

Does anyone know anything about that part? Has anyone out there added factory keyless entry/alarm to their Boxster that did not originally have it? I do not want to go with an aftermarket keyless enter/alarm.

Thanks,

larez2

• Moderators

Another one of those $499 per month lease specials with no options. We have a few local owners like that.

I have no info on this retrofit kit 000 044 900 32 other than what you already know. Never seen it and do not know what this retrofit kit can do or if it will even work on a US car. The tequipment part number is listed on pet only in the ROW section, not US.

The kit includes a horn (which I assume is the alarm horn), a key cap, rear trunk unlock, and some other parts. I can send you a list of the parts if you want but your dealer can also print it out for you. The radio frequency used in the US is different than ROW.

For $500 you are not going to get much even if it would work on a US car.

You might try the German board and see if they know anything out this kit. There is a technical section. http://stau.jowood.de/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4

There is a local to me guy on renntech with a no option car. Tensia. He has an aftermarket alarm. I think it is made by Clifford. But it does not work the door locks or trunk release.

Thanks for the info. I'm am probably going to buy the retrofit kit and try to make it work on my car; I really want to keep the factory look that has everthing integrated into the key. If it doesn't work, I might try to go smart key or proximity key - just walk towards your car and it unlocks, or walk away and it locks automatically - anyone ever do that?

That German board is in German :huh: guess i could babelfish it...

You know, Tool Pants, you are very highly regarded in the Boxster world. Every board I have been on refers to you as the one who knows :notworthy:

Thanks,

Larez2

Edited by larez2

• Moderators

I ask questions there in English and they answer in English. I met one of the German guys on the board, Olaf, a few months ago when he was in San Jose for a convention if you need help. I email him all the time for German info.

When we were trying to figure out if there was a sport exhaust for the facelift one of the German guys simply called the factory to find out what was going on. Maybe one of them will do that for the retrofit kit.

Zuffenhausen also has a parts department believe it or not. When I could not get info in the US I have faxed them a letter in English and they answered my questions in English. I have the fax number somewhere if you want it. The only thing is that Zuffenhausen will not sell parts to an individual to an address outside of Germany.

I looked at the parts list again and it looks like your car needs option M535 for the retrofit kit. Option 535 is anti theft lock 315 mhz.

There is also another retrofit kit listed in the same section for 1998-2000, 000 044 900 30. And it lookes like this kit requires the car to have M534, the alarm.

Your car does not have either of these options if they are required for either of the retrofit kits to work. In the US market our remote is for the door locks and alarm. That may not be true in all markets. I guess you can have factory remote locking without remote alarm, or the other way around. I doubt if there is anyone in the US who will know if either kit will work on your car.

Edited by Tool Pants

Bummer dude, do you really think the factory retrofit is not worth it? I actually have a $35 aftermarket crime stopper keyless entry unit that i just put in it temporarily because it will take several months to get the retrofit kit.

I just used some in line wire taps - I didn't have to cut any wires, it's the first one I've ever put in and it was disturbingly simple to install. The only thing i sort of screwed up on was that i didn't disconnect the battery before I took out the front driver seat and now the airbag light is on. (I read in another post from "Loren" that if you do that, then then the airback light will come on and the only way to get it turned off is with a PST2 tool.) Anyone know of another way to turn it off, like disconnecting the battery or something?

Thanks,

Larez2

• Moderators

The only way to know for sure is to contact Germany as I doubt if anyone in the US knows about the retrofit kits.

I am going through this now because there is a retrofit kit not sold in the US for a tilt sensor and alarm siren with a built in rechargeable battery. But I can order it from Germany. It is about $300. Always thought it was funny the alarm did not have a tilt sensor.

Well, in the UK the tilt sensor/siren is standard because their insurance companies require them. I'm on the UK board and 2 people sent me pictures so I know what it looks like. Then I went to Boxster guru at my local dealer, Peter, and we looked at the ROW wiring diagrams to see how it was hooked up to the alarm control unit. Peter thought the retrofit kit would work on a US car.

But the only way to know for sure is if I buy the kit and hook it up.

In your situation I would love to find out what can be done with both kits as you are not the only owner who has asked the same question over the years. Maybe you can sit down with one of the mechanics at your dealer and go through the 2 kits which are in the parts computer under ROW tequipment. A parts person is not going to know because they never sell them. Or send a letter to Germany.

The only way to turn off an air bag light is with a PST2. Disconnecting the battery will not do it.

• 3 years later...