Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jinster's New Gps And Cupholder Solutions Installation

Jinster's new GPS and cupholder solutions installation

I got sick of not having cupholders in my Boxster. So I set out to find some. The options seemed to be OEM cupholders, either the clip on type, or the single DIN type. And we all know the problems with those - not secure enough fit, not accommodating large cups, etc. Also, the DIN type takes up an entire vertical DIN slot, making fitting double DIN GPS impossible. Other solutions seem to be to use a cutout for cups in the centre console box - which means the lid needs to stay open; and "ultimate

Edited by Jinster

Thanks, Richard. I have taken away lots from this board, time to give a little back.

Systech, I am using IGO 8, which came with the GPS unit. Is there a better map program out there? Is Tomtom or Destinator better? I haven't used those.

Edited by Jinster

Thanks, Richard. I have taken away lots from this board, time to give a little back.

Systech, I am using IGO 8, which came with the GPS unit. Is there a better map program out there? Is Tomtom or Destinator better? I haven't used those.

I am no nav expert but assume that the navigation application supplied with the kit can utilise maps in standard PND or other common formats. My questions are:

- did you get Aussie maps with the kit?

- as far as you can tell, who is the source of the maps (Sensis, Teleatlas ?)

- do they work and are they any good?

Edited by systech

Systech, I think the maps used by IGO are Navteq branded. It came with with the kit. It works fine. I just don't have another program/map to compare it with.

Geoff, I don't really know. Are you refering to the slim cupholders that swing out like a triangle? I posted a question about this earlier on the board, but I don't think anyone know/replied. I think that cupholder is integrated into the horseshoe frame? I am may well be wrong. Maybe someone else could chime in?

• 1 month later...

Thanks to your post I am in the process of doing the same to my Carrera 4 having long ago got fed up with PCM.

Where did you mount the new gps receiver/sensor?

Did it fit in the same place as the original, at the top of the dashboard?

Was it critical?

Did you use the Porsche amplifier or wire the new unit direct to your speakers?

DJ

• 1 month later...

Hi Jinster,

You did a great job with the VW install. It really looks great.

I just have a quick question though: Can you remove the VW background picture at start-up and have a Porsche background picture instead?

Thanks again for sharing all this valuable information!

- Laurent

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the late replies. I haven't checked the forum for a while.

I mounted the GPS sensor right next to the alarm sensor cover. I don't know where it's mounted OEM.

On start up, the GPS unit can display a selection of car brand logos. But there is none for Porsche and I don't seem to be able to add a custom logo. There is a generic logo that just shows a globe, so I use that one.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Awesome work Jinster! That install is extremely clean. I just have one question; what year/generation Passat bezel did you use?

Sorry, very late reply. Again, didn't keep an eye on this thread.

2004 model I believe.

I believe something like this would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Passat-Jetta-Polo-Bora-Golf-DVD-GPS-Digital-screen-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c14b3b3bdQQitemZ120606405565QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_16237wt_1009

Most sellers on eBay would give you the dimensions of the unit. As long as your measurements fit, it probably doesn't matter which year. But obviously from my experience, the aftermarket units made for 2004 Jetta models seem to fit well. The bezel was included with the sale from the seller. Most sellers of these units are very friendly and you can ask them for bezel measurements if you are not sure or it's unclear.