Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 Manuals online (at PPBB)

• Moderators

They have been on RennTech for a while. Same thing for the 997.

The Product Information booklets are good for a consumer because they are written for the sales department.

I like the part that there is no dipstick because our habits have changed away from manual measurement. In the old days I wonder how many years it took the public to accept a fuel gauge, rather than putting a calibrated wooden stick in the fuel tank.

For some reason I think it strange to have an optional 6 speed on the 2.7. Time to get use to new things.

The external vs. windshield radio antenna is also interesting. I remember about 5 or 6 years ago Becker asking if Boxster owners would buy it as a retrofit. There was no demand. Now it is a no cost option. Would like to see what it looks like in the right front fender.

Just a note...I'm not so sure that the product guide is really intented for the US as the name of the pdf file states.

On page 142 of the guide it says the following:

"All descriptions are based on the EU model".

So...i'd imagine that at some point they'd release a product information guide specifically intended for the US spec car...because I know that the standard options between the US and Europe are different.

Stacey

• Moderators

I think it is published for the English speaking market, North America and ROW. I have the 2003 Product Information in paper form and it also notes differences between markets. So does the 997 Product Information.

The only publications I know of specifically for the North American market are published by PCNA. The product information is published by the PAG marketing department.

In any event, it is an ok source for basic info and overview. The more technical publications are the tech intro booklets which comes out each year. This is what is given to the mechanics when they go to the training school.

post-4-1101671757_thumb.jpg

987 Manuals online (at PPBB)

one surprise, the standard and sport seats have no recline adjustment.

This information I gave before is not correct - reading the details, there is a seat base tilt adjustment on a couple of seat upgrades, All versions of the seats have a reclining adjustment.

Now I got to wonder - It appears with the 987, they share the radiators with the 997 Carrera so the book shows NO center radiator for the S unless it is an S with the Tiptronic transmission. Yet there is a center opening in the S bumper. I understand the branding reason to have a center opening, but it seems like a fairly high drag penalty to pay for appearances.

I never use my dipstick so I won't miss it - I check the electronic a few times a week.

Sport Chrono sounds like it would be a nice toy, as well as helping clear out most of the PSM complaints. I wonder how hard it would be to keep the features and loose the clock, a big clock on a separate dash binnacle is way too retro looking for my taste.

I kinda miss the old fashioned 030 - though PASM seems like a good idea. Remapping throttle response to make things feel better seems more like a sales cheat than an advantage.

Overall, a lot of the 986 complaints seem to ave been addressed. Footwell lighting, PSM aggressiveness, low roll hoops, brake pedal high vs throttle, shallow fenders, better exhaust, redesigned intake snorkel, removing the alarm on the center console, new cup holders, etc. It seems Porsche has done a good job responding to the demands of their market.

Styling, the 987 seems to be a mixed bag(I like the lights and dislike the new body lines and interior changes). The performance and functional improvements seem to be solidly in the right direction.

• Moderators

Yep, no third coolant radiator for the S. In England the 987 launch was a few days ago. Mark Bennett from England who is on renntech and the Porsche Club of Great Britian board reported that the opening is covered with a piece of black plastic. Looks like Porsche made up for it with slightly larger radiators, higher flow water pump, and variable speed radiator fans instead of the two-speed fans. Want to bet if there will be a third radiator kit that can be used on the 987.

I would rather have the spare and jack and the extra 22 pounds. Guess I will have to move to Brazil to get it.

Going to have to figure out how to hack some of the options.

This pic is from someone on the UK board.

987_at_OPC3.sized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No spare tire on the 987! I hated the skinney spare but now there is not even that option. I can just imagine someone with a blown or ripped tire out in the middle of nowhere. SOL with a can of sealer and an air pump. There are many places in the US where you are far, far from a dealer, and a 18" replacement is impossible to find. I have been there and did that, and it was an experience never to repeat. I notice that the recent road test (Vette vs 911 Carrera S) in Road and Track mentioned that the 3rd generation Goodyear run-flats have improved immensely with regard to handling. I wonder how the newest Goodyear Eagle F1 Super EMT would work on a Boxster.

• 7 years later...