Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shift Knob and Boot

I am looking for the part number for the 6 speed shift knob with Porsche crest, with a black boot, that has the aluminum ring at the base. I think this is from the "Aluminum Look" interior. This would be for my 2003 S.

I think this is the one you want but I cannot verify the part number.

That is exactly what I want. Does anyone know where I can get one or even how to identify the part? I recently bid on Ebay ( and lost) for a similar gray carbon fiber shifter and boot. If I won it was my plan to dye the gray leather to black. It went for about $240 to a bidder who topped me by a few $.

I have been looking on EBay for quite a while and these things never seem to appear.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who might be interested the part number is:

996.424.981.15.VRJ

I got it from Sunset Imports. It is a $400 item less the Sunset discount. They were quick and easy to deal with....highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

:clapping: I know that, but I just wanted to know if The Porsche OEM Black boot has grey seams or black because on my boot hte seams are black and I emailed the guy from Carnewal and he claimed this are Porsche OEM parts!

SO where is the reality?

regards

• Moderators

Your shift knob will work with that boot.

It is hard to figure out part numbers for shifts because there is only a hundred of them and no pictures.

Dannov said the 6 speed is 996 424 981 15 VRJ. VRJ is the code for black. This part is listed with the options 480 and X97. 480 is 6 speed manual transmission. I do not know what fancy interior option X97 is.

I see listed 986 424 981 05 VRJ, with options 481 and X97. 481 is 5 speed manual transmission, and since it starts with 986 it would be a Boxster only part as the 996 does not have a 5 speed manual transmission.

So the 5 speed version might exist.

A long time ago I think Gert had for sale just the aluminum look trim. You might check.

TP thanks for your investigation! I'll ask Gert for this, laast week i asked him for the shift knob with the porsche crest but he told me only for 6 speed, maybe he can have it on special order or so??? I'll give him de partnumber you mentionned, maybe he can help me!

But where do you find all this info on the PET program or the PDF version of the PET, I'm really interested in this!

• Moderators

The standard shift knob/boot is a single part/piece. You have to cut the boot to get the knob off.

The optional shifts are 2 separate parts/pieces. If you remove the 2 black plastic ties then you can remove the knob from the boot. If you lift up your shift boot you will see what I mean.

Gert must have a source for just the boot or just the 6 speed knob, because I do not think Porsche sells it as separate parts. He may not have a source for just the knob with the crest for the 5 speed. Perhaps he thought you also wanted just the knob, and not the assembly.

Do not spend money in reliance on my part number. This is an educated guess. I can't tell what shift for sure it is without seeing it.

In fact I just found this old pic of when that 6 speed shift with the crest first came out and I remember the complaints that is was not colored. Like the 2000 S air bag crest was silver.

post-4-1108513559_thumb.jpg

I prefer the colored porsche crest realy classy according to me!

For a start I just gonna buy hte the but with the "alu" horse shoe, wil be nice in my black interior! Already installed the "alu" dash strips( not easy to fit but could manage to do it without the damaging the old one and without removing the dash, just unscrewd the old one and srewed the new ones) and door handles.

TP thanks for all you info! looked at the boot and now i see how it's attached ( black plastic ties ;-) )

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I know someone who was selling a a 6 speed aluminum 986S/996 colored crest as shown for $170. I would of purchase it, but the day before I order a brand new one from Suncoast for $335 before he contacted me. I just chose to keep the new one(it was actually a gift for me). If anyone is looking for one, I can ask the guy if its still available.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. I know someone who was selling a a 6 speed aluminum 986S/996 colored crest as shown for $170. I would of purchase it, but the day before I order a brand new one from Suncoast for $335 before he contacted me. I just chose to keep the new one(it was actually a gift for me). If anyone is looking for one, I can ask the guy if its still available.

I may be interested, did it include the boot with horseshoe...qikqbn