Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing GHL muffler

• Moderators
Hi,

I was wondering has anybody installed a ghl muffler or pse by themselves?

Is there TSB available that shows where all the nuts and bolts are located?

Thanks

I don't have a soft copy, but the PSE instructions are in the 996 set, binder 2 #6/02 2601. The latest one is dated 5-23-03

Ask your Porsche Service department to print you a copy. If you are just exchanging mufflers, it is very easy.

Check out the pictorial section in the following site:

http://www.smiley.net/boxster

There are quite a few images where you can figure out the install. I've done the install/uninstall a few times myself and I used the images for my 1st go at it. BTW, if you do not desire to remove the rear bumper cover, then just remove the bracket at the rear of the transmission as the top of the bracket is fastened to the top of the muffler. Once you get underneath the car, I'm sure you can figure out what to unbolt. Good luck.

Hi,

I was wondering has anybody installed a ghl muffler or pse by themselves?

Is there TSB available that shows where all the nuts and bolts are located?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Help guys

I removed all the nuts and bolts...but those two long bolts in the top bracket are killing me. I removed the nuts but the bolts are too long and does not push out. Plus those pipes that connects to the exhaust does not slide out...I used a lot of wd40 and I cannot wiggle it out. Do anyone have any tips or tricks. I been working on this for 3 hours now and I seen other done it in 2 hours.

I have a 03 Boxster S.

thanks

You need to remove those U-pipes first before you can drop the muffler. For each side, you need to remove the bolts/nuts for each joint connecting to the u-pipe. From the secondary cat, there are two sets of bolts/nuts that you need to remove from the joint. From the muffler side, there is just one bolt for the joining clamp (looks like a "C", remove the nut and wedge a screw driver or hit one end of the clamp to widen the clamp. After the bolts are removed, spray down the joints with wd-40 and let it soak for a few minutes. Then, take a mallet (hammer with padding) and hit the u-pipe to loosen it. The pipe it pretty tough so don't worry about hitting it too hard.

To address the two long bolts, take out the support bracket that is attached to the transmission. There are four bolts and you can push back the muffler if you need more clearance. Good luck.

Help guys

I removed all the nuts and bolts...but those two long bolts in the top bracket are killing me.  I removed the nuts but the bolts are too long and does not push out.  Plus those pipes that connects to the exhaust does not slide out...I used a lot of wd40 and I cannot wiggle it out.  Do anyone have any tips or tricks.  I been working on this for 3 hours now and I seen other done it in 2 hours.

I have a 03 Boxster S.

thanks

Finally after 7 hours I finally got the GHL muffler installed. The hardest part was taking out the U pipes. I had to wd40 them and wiggled them out. Those took me like 1 1/2 hour.

Wow the muffler sounds very throaty and nice. The muffler isn't too loud that everyone states...must be the 4 cats in the 03 S. I have to say this is a very nice exhaust.

Wow the muffler sounds very throaty and nice.  The muffler isn't too loud that everyone states...must be the 4 cats in the 03 S.  I have to say this is a very nice exhaust.

I just hope you're not losing any driveability ie. bhp/torque in the process like in my case with the Dansk exhaust (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4073). I don't suppose you did any before/after dyno measurement...

People usually equate nice sound or an increase in sound level with an increase in power...

Wow, 7 hours might be a record. hehe Those U pipes just need several good wackings from a mallet. I mean, you literally have to hit them as hard as you can. Those pipes are tougher than they appear. Anyway, glad to hear that you've completed the install. The GHL definitely has a lot of resonance around 2.5-3.5k rpm, but it mellows out over time. I've happy with mines as well and love the exhaust note after 4k rpm. Also, I love the weight savings as it's much lighter than the OEM muffler. I had a Gemballa before and was not impressed. It was heavier than the stock piece and was only a little louder than the original muffler.

Finally after 7 hours I finally got the GHL muffler installed.  The hardest part was taking out the U pipes.  I had to wd40 them and wiggled them out.  Those took me like 1 1/2 hour. 

Wow the muffler sounds very throaty and nice.  The muffler isn't too loud that everyone states...must be the 4 cats in the 03 S.  I have to say this is a very nice exhaust.

... I had a Gemballa before and was not impressed.  It was heavier than the stock piece and was only a little louder than the original muffler.

Interesting. The Gemballa one is supposed to give fairly decent gains in power. Do you still have it? The only downside I'm told is the price... muchos $$$. How much is it brand it in the US?