Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Insuficient or Remote Control TSB 9662 Made Easy

Insuficient or Remote Control TSB 9662 Made Easy

Here are the pictures and instructions. This TSB is easy to do, and the range in my key remote went from 4 ft to 30 ft. 1999 996 Cabrio. Here are the tools you will need. The following steps: 1. Remove the sun visor. It simply pulls out 2. Use the small flat screw driver to pry of plastic cover on visor base. When removed, you will see the Hex bolt heads 3. Use the 4 mm Hex wrench key to remove both bolts. Hold on to the part, it has washers on the other side and can get fall off

• Moderators

Very good. When I first saw the TSB I was not sure where to measure the 130 mm from since I have never opened up the foam sleeve to see what was in there.

I think there will be a few people cutting the antenna wire since this has been a common complaint in the 6 years I have been Boxstering. And it only took Porsche only how many years to figure out this easy fix....

The only thing I can add is that on the Boxster our visor is held in place with Torx screws.

Great job - Thanks!

I will move this to the DIY forum and pin it at the top.

Thank you Loren. I got more pics if needed for additional detail. My camera uses about 250Kb per frame on low resolution.

Glad to be of help, this forum has helped me whole lot, and saved me a lot of cash!

Izzy

• 1 month later...
8.  Measure off 130 mm from the end of the black sleeve upwards into the white antenna, and cut the the rest off.  You need to keep 130 mm (25 mm is about an inch) of antenna above the black sleeve.

Izzy,

I am attempting to duplicate your terrific DYI on my 2000 Cab. I have run into a question and a little confusion.

Your step 8 appears to direct that I cut excess antenna length in order to leave 130 mm in place.

The TSB (I read it a bunch of times) appears to say in step 6 to REMOVE the last 130mm, leaving the remainder behind .... quite a different approach.

Before I cut, can anyone (Loren?) shed any light on this? Does it really matter?

Kim

• Like 1

I have to agree - the TSB seems to indicate removing 130mm from the end for North America frequency. When I first set forth attempting this mode, I just took the antenna and fastened to the plastic trim, giving it a little more room from the rest of the cables in the bundle and the metal A-pillar and that gave me enough of a range increase to about 10 yards. I used some small diameter heat shrink to give the wire some rigidity and electrical tape so I don't consider it a long term fix but my little experiment has worked well for about a month. I think that it should be possible to fold the antenna to the two sizes in question and get a good idea if it makes much of a difference. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

PS. Okay. I folded back the wire so it mimics as if I cut off 130mm of wire and taped it together so I have about 70mm of wire above the black sheathing. Again, I'm trying to keep it away from the cable bundle and A-pillar as much as possible. The range is still about 10 yards. So in my case, I don't believe that the length makes that much difference. I'm going to leave it that way for awhile and see what happens.

Edited by 98Boxster98

As I read the TSB there are two steps.

One is shortening the antenna wire 100 mm.

The other is removing the insulation on the last 130 mm of the wire.

Loren - you are right (no surprise.) I guess the black sheath has a metallic weave as described in the TSB and is the shielding. The white wire in conjunction with the black sheath form a coaxial cable in essence. As correctly described by izzyandsue, the white wire should be 130 mm long as measured from the top of the black sheath to the end of the white wire. Izzyandsue doesn't describe cutting the white wire 100mm as described in the TSB and therefore the nonradiating part of cable is longer by 100mm than the TSB method. So the TSB says cut the antenna to the right length and get it away from the A-pillar. For me, getting the antenna farther from the A-pillar seems to have the greater effect.

Edited by 98Boxster98

• 1 month later...
PS.  Okay.  I folded back the wire so it mimics as if I cut off 130mm of wire and taped it together so I have about 70mm of wire above the black sheathing.  Again, I'm trying to keep it away from the cable bundle and A-pillar as much as possible.   The range is still about 10 yards.  So in my case, I don't believe that the length makes that much difference.  I'm going to leave it that way for awhile and see what happens.

From what I understand about antennas (in this case, the white wire), folding the wire doesn't "mimic" the cut off effect. :oops: The metal is still there to act as a function of the wave length. The antenna (metal part of the wire) length needs to be exactly at a multiple of the wave length or the reception will be really bad. If TSB is requesting a cut off of 130mm you have to be really precise. Or we could measure the length of the wire that runs to the "brain" (to the soldering point) and increase the length at it's multiple. (i.e. if it's 300 mm, we could go with 600 mm, 900 mm, etc.) It would allow you to run it the full length around the windshield. That would really increase the range.

I did this to many of my cars, including RC cars and Clifford alarms. On my '98 328 with Clifford, originally a 100 ft range is good. After the mod, I could start my car from about 600 feet away. That's barely seeing the car. Great for finding your car in a parking lot. (no need anymore, I have a Speed Yellow. Can't miss it.) I pull the wire and tucked it into the seam between the moulding and the rubber seal of the glass. I'm going to try it on my 03 C4S and let you guys know. I'll document it with pictures in the next few days.

Edited by alexcwt

I've done this mod in two cars, a 1999 Boxster and a 2003 Boxster (non-S).

In the 1999, the antenna wire is covered with an opaque white sheath.

On the 2003, the antenna wire is convered with a translucent white sheath AND a black sheath that starts 130 mm (multiple of wavelength for US cars according to the Porsche TSB) from the end.

In both cases, I just pulled the antenna wire out of the wiring harness and foam cover. I didn't tape the antenna, strip the wire, or add any exposed wire.

In the 1999, the range went from 15 feet to 62 feet.

In the 2003, the range went from 18 feet to 60 feet.

• 8 months later...

Great article on an annoying problem. However, I run into a problem.

How do I remove the A-pillar cover on a Targa?

I tried this DIY method, but the cover stayed firmly in place.

Edited by ydoganis

• Admin

Pull the A-pillar trim 7 inwards along the roof frame and windscreen frame.

post-2-1144599575.png

Pull the A-pillar trim 7 inwards along the roof frame and windscreen frame.

post-2-1144599575.png

Thanks Loren - couldn't do it without your post.

The A-pillar trim was *very* stubborn. There was some sort of glue applied on the two plastic guides, probably as an anti-rattle measure.

The way the trim came out was by undoing the coat hanger and getting a good hold of the trim, pulling down and toward the inside of the vehicle. Once the first 2 clips were out, some firm pulling undid the rest. BTW, the visor didn't need to be removed on the specific car.

The antenna was 134 mm, from the end of the black coax shield to the tip of the translucent insulator of the core. There were 6mm of heat shrink tube at the end of the black coax to hold the core in place. The antenna was trimmed to 130mm.

The range went from 15', to +90'. Now if we could figure an elegant way to make it beep when locked...

Edited by ydoganis

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Does anyone know if 130mm applies to a UK spec car, ie do they operate on the same frquency? I could really do with some additional range from my keyfob.

TIA,

Rob

From the TSB...

"- for a frequency of 315 MHz: 130 mm (USA/Canada/Mexico/Australia/Japan/Hong Kong)

- for a frequency of 433 MHz: 100 mm (all other countries)."

• Admin
The antenna lead of the remote control was previously incorporated in the wire harness running in the area of the left A-pillar and was routed together with the wire harness. This caused the antenna lead to have an unfavorable installation position, and, come into contact the wire harness and left A-pillar.

This caused excessive shielding of the antenna toward the outside, reducing the reception strength of the antenna. This lead to the range of the remote control being reduced. To avoid shielding the antenna and to increase the range of the remote control, the routing of the antenna lead in the area of the A-pillar has been changed as of the introduction date listed below.

If the customer complains that the range of the remote control continues to be insufficient (e.g., even after the remote control battery has been changed), the antenna lead should to be rerouted as described in work procedure (see page 2) in order to increase the reception strength of the antenna, thereby increasing the range of the remote control.

March 25th, 2004, as of the following VINs:

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for that, worked a treat. Best ten minutes I've spent on the car!

If anyone else is doing this mod the antenna is in the left hand pillar on RHD cars as well. I did wonder if they might have switched the loom before I started but they haven't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished the mod on an 02 Coupe. Just pulled the wire outside the bundle and got well over 25 feet. I did not modify the wire length at all. On a coupe, pull the coat hanger piece off first and start from there. On reinstall tucked the front in and than go to the back next to the coat hanger than pop the back into it slot first, seems to work better that way. It's easy. Thanks to whoever discovered this. My remote work at only 3-4 feet before the mod. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Admin
Anyone know how to remove to trim on the cabriolet?

post-1-1175726617.png post-1-1175726621.png

post-1-1175726625.png

1. Remove convertible-top peg housing (image 1)

Unscrew fastening screws 1 from the convertible-top peg housing 2.

2. Unclip the A-pillar trim (image 2)

Pull the A-pillar trim inwards along the windscreen frame in the direction of arrow.

3. Remove the A-pillar trim (image 3)

Remove the A-pillar trim 3 upwards in the direction of the arrow.

• 2 months later...

Why does the wire have to be 130mm?

I follow the hack, and it looks like it is easy to do but I do not understand why the wire needs to be cut to 130mm, or only have 130mm exposed outside the foam wrap. Wouldn't more wire being exposed extend the range?.

Thanks!