Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gas won't go in correctly

• Admin

Has this always been a problem?

There is a TSB for a Fuel Tank Hose Modification (dated 8-12-99) where:

1. Difficulty filling the fuel tank can occur if the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank obstruct the inner flap of the fuel filler neck.

2. Incorrect fuel gauge readings can also be caused by the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank, should they interfere with the travel of the fuel sending unit arm and/or float.

Has this mod been done to your car?

Has this always been a problem?

There is a TSB for a Fuel Tank Hose Modification (dated 8-12-99) where:

1. Difficulty filling the fuel tank can occur if the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank obstruct the inner flap of the fuel filler neck.

2. Incorrect fuel gauge readings can also be caused by the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank, should they interfere with the travel of the fuel sending unit arm and/or float.

Has this mod been done to your car?

Loren,

I have no idea since I bought the car used. This just started about a week ago. Until then never had a problem and gas guage has always been accurate. As far as I can tell the guage is still accurate.

How would I check to see if this has been corrected previously, other than checking with dealer. Do they affix a sticker somewhere when corrections are made.

Do you know what fuse on a '99 would be used instead of fuse E6?

Thanks

• Admin

Any dealer should be able to pull up service and recall records by the car's VIN. There was a problem on earlier cars that might be still occurring. Difficulty filling the fuel tank can occur if the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank obstruct the inner flap of the fuel filler neck. This was caused by hoses that were not tie-wrapped down and they would work their way up and cause the pressure problem.

On a MY99 Boxster E6 should be a 7.5 A fuse for Terminal 30 Telephone/Handy Prep CU Navigation Orvr -- Options M614 / M618 M664. This fuse is the same for all model year Boxster's I looked at (through MY01).

• 1 month later...

Dan

I've just purchased a 2001 Boxster and have had the same intemittent problem. I do have all the service records included and the prior owner had the problem twice. They fixed the vent tube that was crimped twice.

I had the problem and thought the gauge was incorrect and the tank was full. I ran out of gas and realized that wasn't the case. I called to have the dealer that did the work originally to check it out again. On my way to the dealer (right after I started the car and it was sitting for several days) I got gas. I was able to fill the tank without a problem. I took it to the dealer anyway and they couldn't find a problem.

I think the problem may be with some type of vent. As you drive and the gas moves, pressure builds and it won't allow you to fill the tank. I've filled the tank about four times since this incident. I always go directly from my house to the gas station (about a mile). I don't think it's a fix, but may help you if no one can figure it out.

• 1 year later...

To bump an old thread...

This happened to me today (inability to fill fuel tank). Fuse E6 was blown. I tapped into the circuit (which has a pigtail under the dashboard) to power some data acquisition equipment and it accidentally shorted momentarily. Circuit E6 powers some sort of valve in the fuel filler neck. Once I replaced the fuse, I heard a "click" from the front of the car and I could fill the tank with fuel again.

Weird stuff, Porsche.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed satellite radio on my 00' Boxster S and used the pre wired cell phone harness for power. I accidently shorted the fuse and for the next two weeks when putting fuel in my car, the gas tank would 'throw up' the fuel, allowing for only short, VERY SLOW fill up attempts. After reading the forum and checking fuse E6, I had discovered that this was causing the whole problem. A 75cent fuse was causing a MAJOR problem in a $75,000 car.

This forum has saved me over and over......also with my MAF sensor, which a Canadian dealer wanted $800 to replace ($560 for the sensor). I bought the sensor from Suncoast Porsche for $260, installed it myself (in 10 minutes) and then had Porsche reflash my ECU ($75) to recognize the new sensor. Saved over $400 with DIY.

Please message me if you have any questions about either of these two subjects.