Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mystery of the 987 Side Vent Removal

• Moderators

Can't just pull them off but it is not hard to figure it out when the guy in the picture is a mechanic friend at my dealership who went to Boxster training school where they show the mechanics how to take the car apart. Once I saw how it came out I put it back in.

There is no reason for the large vents on 987 other than it has been said it was done this way to resemble a CGT. :rolleyes:

If I had a 987 I would take it to Dell and fix those vents.

post-4-1122412372_thumb.jpg

post-4-1124045640_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tool Pants! With these photos, last evening I De-Snorked my 987S. The sound is amazing! I have photos and I'll put together instructions if anyone is interested.

These photos helped a great deal. i couldn't figure out how to take the titanium vent frame off. When you pull at it, it feels like it is clipped or screwed in. As your photos show, it is not. Very easy after the vent frame is removed.

Now, do I sent the frames to Eric to be painted or not?? :)

• Admin
How do I post pics here?  I post these on PPBB.  I'll post more w/ instructions as soon as I finish them.

KTS

http://tinypic.com/acxt2c.jpg

http://tinypic.com/acxtl3.jpg

http://tinypic.com/acxtu1.jpg

http://tinypic.com/acxvde.jpg

http://tinypic.com/acx6xx.jpg

Did you read the "Forum Features Explained" Forum?

Here is a link to the section on attachments Attachments

Thanks Tool Pants!  With these photos, last evening I De-Snorked my 987S.  The sound is amazing!  I have photos and I'll put together instructions if anyone is interested.

Yes please!!!!!! Is the desnorkeled sound much louder than normal...... I have a 987S but would like it to be a bit more raucous.

• Admin

(Posted for Kevin the Slow)

Sorry for the delay but here it is. All you ever wanted to know about De-Snorking a 987 but were afraid to ask. These instructions will work for the 987 and the 987 S because the intake area is exactly the same on both models.

Tools Required: A grinding tool, saw, flathead screwdriver, Interior trim removal tool, plastic screening or other mesh, and a glue gun.

Step One- Removal of the Titanium Vent-Frame:

The plastic frame has no screws or clips attaching it to the intake frame. It is held in place with two small tabs at the top, two on the 2nd slat from the top, and one just on the fourth slat, directly above the bottom false vent opening.

To remove the Titanium Vent-Frame, reach into the top opening and grab upper edge and pull down. The two tabs at the top are about 1/16 of an inch long and go into corresponding notches of the black inside frame. While doing this, grasp the outer edge of the frame at the rear of the top and pull it downward and out to you. The top of the Vent frame should pull away from the opening.

vent_TP_DSC09591.JPG

Then, reach under the underside of the 2nd slat and pull the vent-frame down while continuing to pull outward on the top of the vent-frame. When the vent pulls away from the 2nd slat, grab the underside of the last slat and pull downward while pulling out the top of the frame. The frame will come free. It is made of a plastic that is slightly flexible so it will bend a bit without breaking or causing a wrinkle in the finish.

vent_TP_DSC09595.JPG

Thanks go to Tool Pants for these 2 pictures.

aetdnr.jpg

aete82.jpg

Step Two- Removal of the Inner Vent Frame:

Once the Titanium Frame is removed, there is a black plastic frame around the edge of the vent opening.

aetf91.jpg

This is also mildly flexible and will bend without breaking. It is held in place with 4 black plastic pushpins, 1 at the very bottom, 2 along the front vertical of the frame, the part closest to the door, and 1 just below the top of the rear vertical.

aetgy9.jpg

I used a simple interior trim removal tool to lift the pins out of their holes in the metal rim of the intake, still attached to the plastic frame. Do them 1 at a time and remove each pin from the plastic frame as you pull it from the hole.

I later figured out a much simpler method. Looking at the pin, there is a plastic tab of the frame locking the frame to the pin. With a flathead screwdriver, pry up the tab and push the frame into the intake area, there is a lot of play with the rubber in there, and the frame will slide off of the pin. After sliding the frame off the pin, remove the pin from the metal frame of the intake before proceeding to the next pin. Be careful not to drop the pins in the intake area! There is a drain hole at the bottom that the pins could fall in. Removing the pins will leave the frame room to move as you remove each of the remaining pins.

Once the frame is off the pins and the pins have been removed, remove the frame from the intake area. There are no other pins or clips attaching it. You are now looking at the Restrictor Plate.

aethcw.jpg

Step Three- Removal of the Restrictor plate:

This plate is held in place by the 4 tabs you see in the center of the plate.

aethq8.jpg

There are no other attaching points and it actually stays in place with the small amount of tension put on it by the part behind it. Bend those tabs, don’t worry about breaking them because you won’t need them again, and wiggle the plate out of position and out of the intake.

aeti80.jpg

aetijc.jpg

Once the Restrictor Plate has been removed, there is a frame with the 4 tabs that held the plate in place, surrounding the Snorkel tube opening. Grab hold of the frame and gently wiggle it free, there is nothing holding it in place except the tension of the rubber around it. Keep this piece safe, as you will use it again.

aetkbt.jpg

aetkqo.jpg

Step Four- Removal of the Snorkel:

aetl41.jpg

There are no clips, pins or screws holding it so just grab the end of it and wiggle it back and forth until it pops out.

aetlp5.jpg

aetn3d.jpg

Step Five- The Screen:

I never put screening in my 986, but the 987 vent openings are much wider. Therefore, I highly recommend that you install screen or mesh to the vent frame. I chose plastic screen over the aluminum type. Lowes has it in a charcoal color that blends well with the color of the Titanium Vent-Frame. I also chose to do an inner screen over the opening to the air box, the opening where the Snorkel was. It is very simple and seemed like a sensible thing to do.

The Inner Screen:

Take the frame that surrounded the Snorkel

aetnk0.jpg

and saw off the 4 posts. Grind down the remaining material with your grinder so you have a smooth surface.

aetnxx.jpg

aetoav.jpg

Cut a piece of the screen large enough to cover the opening of the frame and leaving enough material to hold while working. Lay the frame facedown (the side where you just did that great job of grinding) and use a glue gun to attach the screen to the rear of the frame face. Keep adjusting the screen so that you get a nice tension on the screen face. Trim off the excess material.

aetopw.jpg

aetq9z.jpg

Install this screened frame back into the intake area by pushing it in place until you feel it seat. No clips or screws are needed, it is held in firmly.

aetqmu.jpg

The Outer Screen:

The Titanium Vent-Frame has a small protrusion on the second slat that must be ground down even with the slat so that it doesn’t push out into the screen.

aetr0k.jpg

The Inner Vent-Frame has 2 cutouts at the top where the tabs for the Titanium Vent-Frame fit. Be careful to glue the screen around these openings so the tabs will still fit in.

aetraw.jpg

Also, the center slat on this frame that has 2 cutouts for tabs. I did not glue the screen to this slat so that the screen wouldn’t tear if I needed to remove the vent later.

Cut a piece of screen large enough to cover the rear of the Vent-Frame, leaving enough for you to hold while working. Glue one section to the frame and let the glue set. Then, pulling the screen tight across the opening, glue the remainder of the screen. Trim off the excess.

aettns.jpg

aetxr5.jpg

Step Six- Reinstall the Inner Vent-Frame and the Titanium Vent Frame:

Place the Inner Vent-Frame into the intake so that it is actually in the intake beyond the metal rim. Place the 4 pushpins back into the holes in the metal rim.

aety5y.jpg

You then guide the Inner Vent-Frame outward over each pin until they all lock in place with an audible click.

aetzte.jpg

aeu0ar.jpg

Position the Titanium Vent-Frame into position starting at the bottom and, working upward, push it into place.

aeu0ld.jpg

aeu1e8.jpg

You are now De-Snorked! Start your car and go for a drive.

KTS

Thanks Loren and KevinTheSlow.

I have a silly question though. My right side vent is a real opening, and I always thought that is where the one (and only one) intake for the engine is. But now, it seems you are showing there are actually 2 intakes! So you are showing that this 2nd intake on the left side is BLOCKED?!?

Why the heck would Porsche design a perfectly good intake, with that snorkel you removed, jammed right up into a wall? Bad design no? I must be missing a big detail here somewhere.....

Could anyone clarify?

Thanks

Jester

2005 Silver/Black Boxter S

Good instructions and pictures.

However, why remove the snorkle when it is well shaped to enhance air flow to the air filter housing? The pictures indicate that with the snorkle removed the inlet tract will not be as smooth resulting in greater pressure loss.

Also, with the restrictor plate removed how do you prevent water from entering the air filter housing? Why not remove only the lower part of the restrictor?

Has anyone done a flow test or dyno test to see if removal of these components actually increases HP and torque? It appears to be too ricey if all the mod does is increase noise.

Also, with the restrictor plate removed how do you prevent water from entering the air filter housing?  Why not remove only the lower part of the restrictor?

Living in the UK (where is rains a fair amount!) I'm a little concerned that water could get in as well...... is that the main function of the restrictor plate? I assumed it was to restrict noise but it may be to restrict water entry? :help: