Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor)

I have the classic problems related to a failing MAF (99' 2.5L Boxster - MAF Part # 996 606 123 00). I want to replace the unit myself, but is it neccessary to recalibrate the MAF and ECU after a new one is installed?

(My dealer wants $375 for the unit and 1.5 hours labor, when I can buy it for $235 and install it myself in about 15 mins.) :soapbox: I cleaned it today and will see if this helps, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced.

Only issue I have is whether I need to have the ECU recalibrated.......and if so, how much should I expect to pay the dealer for this?

Thanks mucho :thumbup:

Edited by Dave986

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Good for you. You will be fine with your 2.5 if cleaning it does any good. Sometimes they get physically damaged from flying junk - look at the thing that looks like a mirror and see if there are any flaws. 2 Porsche factory trained mechanic friends said it cannot be cleaned as the parameters will be changed. The 3rd had not tried but thought it was worth a try.

Nothing needs to be recalibrated if it is replaced on a 2.5 as there is only one version.

For the 2.7 and 3.2 a more contamination resistent sensor came out in 2000. If this revised sensor is put in a 2.7 or 3.2 programmed for the original style sensor, then the DME/ECU has to be reprogramed for the new style sensor.

This has nothing to do with a 2.5 sensor as there is only one style. Jeff

air_flow_sensor_2_5_004.sized.jpg

air_flow_sensor_2_5_003.sized.jpg

Wow....thanks for the great reply!

Mine looked identical to the pictures....even with the dust!

So far so good as the Check engine light has not come on again (been about 40 miles so far). I still feel some hesitation at times...so I'm not real optimistic....but ya never know till ya try! I'm temped to buy a new one and just swap it out to see if there is it solves some of this issue.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Toolpants. By the way, I still have the same AOL address. I just use the hotmail account to sign up for websites.

I found this place online that's selling a new MAF for $170, a lot less than sunset or suncoast. I've used them before to buy O2sensors. The sensors were less than 100 each.

I'm going to give them a call to confirm they have the correct part. By the way, they list the 2.7L MAF for $370! That must have been some update.

• Moderators

Let us know if you find an aftermarket source for air flow sensors and the part numbers. They are way over priced at the dealer.

Local owner Jean has been in 5 times for an idle problem. He has an early 2000 2.7 with the old style sensor. They tried to replace it with the new style but after they reprogramed the DME for the new style the car did not run right. Ended up putting in a new old style sensor. Peter said this is the second car where the new style sensor did not work. Jeff

There are 2 different MAF's (Mass Air Flow Sensor's) for 2.5L engines.

"996 606 123 00" - Standard MAF - Roughly $375 at most dealers!

"986 606 125 01" - Some engines had a tech bulletin, that required this MAF - $495 at most dealers!!!

The part number on the above picture I assume is for a 2.7L engine.

Little update on my attempt to clean the MAF......

700 miles so far and NO Check Engine Light thus far! Cleaning the MAF has solved the CE light so far.

However, the engine is still experiancing hesitation at various times under hard acceleration. I will be swapping out the MAF to a new one and will see if this corrects the hesatation.

• Moderators

Good eyes Dave. I should not have posted the third picture as it is a new style 2.7/3.2 sensor and the part number has changed in any event. The new style has a curve at the bottom of the sensor which you can see in the third picture.

Dave, please post the Bosch part number for your 2.5 sensor for Mark when you take it out.

I just checked with parts and these are the current part numbers and full list prices. My dealer does not charge me full list.

996 606 123 00 - 2.5 sensor - $372

996 606 124 00 - 2.7/3.2 old style sensor - $471

986 606 125 01 - 2.7/3.2 new style sensor - $492

We might have a winner!!! I just called up the place and I've asked them to read the Porsche number on their MAF. They gave me 996.606.12300.

Several websites have the part, one I'm going to try is:

http://www.autopartsperformance.com

They call it an Air Mass Meter, PN B3130-70627. It's in stock. They confirmed it's a Bosch part. The list price is $327.69 and their price is $166.26. Shipping is free for anything over $50.

I contacted both Sunset and suncoast, their price was $245 and $275 respectively.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig and try to order this MAF online. They also have the new style MAF, but that's around $400.

I have a pesky CE light that's been bugging me. It started after I added a K&N (a month after I bought the car). It keeps throwing O2 sensor codes at me. P1102, P1107, P0140 and P1117. All 4 points to the heating element. I've tried swapping out relays and checking the voltages and checking for shorts, no luck. I've swapped out the O2 sensors. Still no luck.

I've tried cleaning it with contact cleaner, no luck! Now, I'm going to try swapping the MAF.

I've taken it to the delaer, and the work order said it had a vacuum leak. They cleared the code and the CE light came back on after 1 month.

I'll update you folks if this website is any good.

• Moderators

Sure sound like the correct sensor at a more reasonable price. Us 2.5 owners are lucky, I guess, as there is only one sensor. I once asked the guys at AB why Porsche did not improve the design of the 2.5 sensor like Porsche did for the 2.7/3.2. We have old cars is what I was told.

Get rid of that K&N if you have done so already and put the paper filter back in or you might contaminate the new sensor.

Just called http://www.autopartsperformance.com as well.......... they're main site is actually http://www.thepartsbin.com

Talked to "Bill" @ #206 - very helpful. B)

Was able to find the exact part for my MAF (using Porsche's part #) @ $189 :clapping: (free shipping as noted above). Will get it Friday and report back with my experiance......as well as pics and details of my existing MAF once removed as well as the "new one". He said "Bosch" retail price was about $345....dealer's retail is usually higher (as is the case). :angry:

Air Filters by the way are $23.56 (my dealer $39.32!) Pollen Filters $36.84 vs. $59.09. Price's look very good !

Dave

(with fingers crossed)

Edited by Dave986

Keeping my fingers crossed, too. I think the parts bin has multiple websites, not just two. I've ordered from one of their websites before. All of the websites have the same interface and points to the same SSL site.

By the way, the airfilters and Pollen filter are branded Mahle. It doesn't have the magical Porsche brand (in gold leaf) ;) thus the lower price.

It looks the same stuff to me.

Toolpants, I got rid of the K&N as soon as the my CE light lit up. Anyone want a free K&N filter? :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Good luck guys and give us a report when you get the sensor.

Mahle and Mann make the filters for Porsche. Next time you buy a filter from Porsche in the gray box look at the part numbers and they have the same Mann or Mahle part numbers - but without the price. I have also see the local dealer using filters that did not come in the Porsche box.

filters_001.sized.jpg

• Moderators

Good detective work. Same part at about half the price.

I have looked at many electrical connectors. Have yet to see one with a Porsche logo. Instead, BMW, VW, Audi, and Mercedes with their part numbers plus sometimes an AMP part number.

Done many trip computer retrofits over the years and we buy from Porsche a connector and a cover for the connector to plug into the trip computer stalk. Years ago it was $1.50 from the Porsche dealer. Then everyone started doing the trip computer retrofit. Porsche then jacked up the price to almost $10 for two little pieces of plastic. It has a BMW and AMP part number on it. Down the street from my local Porsche dealer is a BMW dealer. I showed their parts department the connector and cover with the BMW part numbers on it. $1.50. It is used for their alarm system.

Porsche makes nothing. We need to out smart them. Almost $400 for that sensor is crazy.

$10 of plastic in the pic.

trip_connector_obc2.sized.jpg

• 3 weeks later...