Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sport Exhaust

ok.... i spoke to the guys in germany....

Apparently what they do is buy 2nd hand boxster exhausts from ebay and modify them. They install the bypass vavles as seen on the pictures.

The guy did sound rather reliable and seemed to know well what he was talking about....

but if someone has actually bought from them and can comment... would be much appreciated.

A person with the screename "ppbon" on the ppbb.com board recently posted a thread showing how he built his own exhaust similar to one that Tool Pants posted.

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showfla...b=5&o=7&fpart=1

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showfla...b=5&o=7&fpart=1

A project for the skilled DIYer or the local muffler shop?

• Moderators

I just asked on one of the German Boxster boards if anyone has experience with these modified mufflers. Interesting how the bypass pipes are located on top unlike the original sport exhaust.

This is the prior thread on modified German mufflers.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=sport++exhaust

THAT' S IT, I HAVE DONE IT!!

I am not usually raving on websites about things but today i am really enthusiastic so i thought i' d share it with you guys!

I have bought the exhaust above.

After looking for 2 years on all possible boxster & porsche websites, i decided to take the plunge.

For 3 reasons:

-the price was very attractive EUR 350 + shipping (all in roughly £260).

-The exhaust is standard porsche exhaust only modified (the guys buy second hand items on ebay, modify them, then sell them).

-The technical solution (bypass pipes) is clever.

So the car remains standard. I hated the looks of 'shower' OEM sport exhaust.

I got the exhaust fitted to my 2002 boxster S 3.2 (manual) yesterday.

Took the guy about 3 hours as some of the weldings were not perfect and he had to slightly modify them.

I also got the guys to polish the exhaust + pipes so it looks great from the rear.

THE RESULT IS OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st essential moment was puting the key and starting the car: awesome!

What a change!

The sound is completely transformed: very deep and raw.

Very much like a 996 equiped with a factory exhaust.

Even the guys from the Porsche garage were impressed!

(they usually deal with classic 911s.....)..

I went for a drive and honnestly after reading much about sport exhausts was not expecting in performance increase....

If anything, i was even expecting to loose a bit of low down torque....

It is actually the exact opposite!!

I cannot believe it, it feels like someone had removed the handbrake!

I also got a bit scared that the noise in the cabin would change and get boomy at 3-4000rpm, but not at all.

The noise is very similar although a bit more aggressive across the rev range....

Bottom line: i spent about £400 between the exhaust and the fitting, and it feels like a new car.

I am over the moon!

• 2 weeks later...
THAT' S IT, I HAVE DONE IT!!

I am not usually raving on websites about things but today i am really enthusiastic so i thought i' d share it with you guys!

I have bought the exhaust above.

After looking for 2 years on all possible boxster & porsche websites, i decided to take the plunge.

For 3 reasons:

-the price was very attractive EUR 350 + shipping (all in roughly £260).

-The exhaust is standard porsche exhaust only modified (the guys buy second hand items on ebay, modify them, then sell them).

-The technical solution (bypass pipes) is clever.

So the car remains standard. I hated the looks of 'shower' OEM sport exhaust.

I got the exhaust fitted to my 2002 boxster S 3.2 (manual) yesterday.

Took the guy about 3 hours as some of the weldings were not perfect and he had to slightly modify them.

I also got the guys to polish the exhaust + pipes so it looks great from the rear.

THE RESULT IS OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st essential moment was puting the key and starting the car: awesome!

What a change!

The sound is completely transformed: very deep and raw.

Very much like a 996 equiped with a factory exhaust.

Even the guys from the Porsche garage were impressed!

(they usually deal with classic 911s.....)..

I went for a drive and honnestly after reading much about sport exhausts was not expecting in performance increase....

If anything, i was even expecting to loose a bit of low down torque....

It is actually the exact opposite!!

I cannot believe it, it feels like someone had removed the handbrake!

I also got a bit scared that the noise in the cabin would change and get boomy at 3-4000rpm, but not at all.

The noise is very similar although a bit more aggressive across the rev range....

Bottom line: i spent about £400 between the exhaust and the fitting, and it feels like a new car.

I am over the moon!

Eric - it sounds like your long wait has paid off

I too have been looking for an exhaust upgrade for my 2000 S. It sounds like the system you had fitted would be perfect. I would love too have a deeper tone (something like my SSI + modified dual outlet muffler on my previous 911SC would be great) but dont want to have any resonance.

My problem is I live in Australia and freight here is prohibitive so I have been thinking about modifying my own exhaust. Key question is how big to make the bypass tubes. Obviously the larger these are the noise the modified system will be. Someone had a posting on the PBB board and he used 1 1/8" tube but looking at the photos this seems larger than the tubing on your system. The tubing on yours seems to be about 25mm OD. Could you confirm this.

Nifty,

I did not measure it but about 2.5cm seems correct.

I drove the car again yesterday (back from holiday).

And still amazed by the change in both noise and performance.

I was thinking about selling the car.... no way now!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You can replace the muffler without removing the bumper cover, but it is easy to remove the cover and you will have more room to work.

Nick on the Porsche Club Great Britain board bought one for his 996, and gave it a good review. The German seller said he can make it not so loud, loud, and louder. I assume this is done by changing the diameter of the bypass pipe. Do not know if you have this choice for the 986

post-4-1138478261_thumb.jpg

I hope that the unit can be installed without removing the rear bumper and all the related body pieces. Was that just to illustrate the look?

There is no need to remove the bumper cover as in the picture.

There are 2 important points to removing the muffler

#1 - disconnect the exhaust pipes at the SLEEVES between the muffler and cats rather than at the 3-bolt flange. In the picture below - left is good - right is bad

MUFFLER.JPG

#2 - It is tricky to locate and loosen the TOP mounting nuts. See the two bolts sticking out of the flat bar spanning the top of the muffler? You can see them in the picture but they are not visible on the car. These bolts attach to a large aluminum bracket which attaches to the transmission. All of the bracket bolts and nuts are basically invisible until removed and in some cases you have to reach an arm around each side of the transmission to operate a ratchet wrench with a swivel attachment.

Pictured below is the aluminum muffler bracket for the S. This can be left on the car for muffler replacement. The muffler is only mounted with 4 nuts. 2 nuts are removed at the top(one is removed in the photo) and two screw/nut sets are loosened at the bottom to allow the wire/bar at the bottom of the photo to come loose. These are obvious and easily visible from under the car.

MUFFLER_BRACKET.JPG

• 1 month later...

Jeff,

I bought the 996 exhausts with Bypass pipes from this seller in Germany and am absolutely 100% satisfied with the product and the service I received from them.

A friend of mine has a 996 with the official PSE (3.4) and our cars sound identical.

Definitely the best mod I've done to any car I've owned. :jump:

I think that the e-bay listing has a downloadable 986 sound clip fitted with the exhaust you're referring to.

Dave

Jeff,

This one is not for your benefit, as I'm sure you already have a workshop manual for the 986, but thought I'd post this web site address for everyone else's benefit.

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

There are free downloadable workshop manuals in PDF format for most Porsches.

I found the 986 Workshop manual invaluable when I owned a Boxster, especially when changing components like the exhaust and all the associated connecting sleeves etc, that may have corroded.

Dave

Guys it is now 3 months since i have the exhaust and it is definitely a great mod for the 2002 boxster S.

When the roof is down it sounds like a 996 C4S equiped with the factory sport exhaust.

When the roof is up, you can barely notice the difference (ditto my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars, but is quiet fussy about noises!).

A great mod, and very surprising given the price and the quality of work.

Guys it is now 3 months since i have the exhaust and it is definitely a great mod for the 2002 boxster S.

When the roof is down it sounds like a 996 C4S equiped with the factory sport exhaust.

When the roof is up, you can barely notice the difference (ditto my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars, but is quiet fussy about noises!).

A great mod, and very surprising given the price and the quality of work.

Sounds good... What about resonance? Is there any rpm range during which you can hear the exhaust resonate?

How much increase in noise is there with the top up at highway speeds?

Thanks,

Gary

no resonance in the boxster.

when i used to drive lotus elises, i could barely find any exhaust with no booming in mid-range.

No such problem here: remember there are bypass valves added to the exhaust. Meaning that when the engine is under load, then the flow of gas is forced into the 'normal' exhaust (same as standard and not through the bypass pipes), so the noise tends to be less loud.