Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Home Curb-Rash Repair

• Admin

Home Curb-Rash Repair

Courtesy of Nasa Racer Pete (used with his permission) - posted by Loren Well, there I was...backing into a parking space against a curb and I was in a hurry and I heard it...SCRAPE! One fraction of a second...barely moving. Got out and looked at the rim...OOOOOOWWWWW! Well, no need to fear...I've done this enough times to have a easy way to do home repairs with a few simple items. Note that this ONLY covers light scuffs, this isn't meant to be used to repair a DAMAGED wheel or one where the

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, yes, that question has been asked in the past. Obviously it would be easier to do the wheels off the car. In this case I didn't have a torque wrench handy so masked the car. Same warning applies though. If you spray this paint in one corner of the garage, it's going to be all over EVERYTHING in your garage...the metal flake travels amazingly far and will affix permanently to anything within range.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Being the skilled driver that I am, I put a nice 5-8" smiley on my rear rim tonight.

Is there any way to derive the information off the pictures?

It says Wurth, I got that, but what about the specific product so I can get it off their site and start my repairs?

The tutorial matches the paint nearly perfect and his rims are the exact same as mine. Or at least they appear to be the same, CIII rims.

Edited by tweety

• 3 months later...

I have a set of Sport Designs on my 2001 C2. These are 2-piece wheels with the outer section natural polished aluminum that is clear-coated. When I purchased the car, the rears had been repaired as the outer portion of the wheel was now painted aluminum color that matched the center section. Now I have put a scuff on one of the wheels and would like to make the repair.

I have two questions. First, does anyone have experience taking the 2-piece wheel apart for refinishing? Second, does anyone know of a paint that will closely match the natural aluminum finish?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

• 5 months later...

I have exactly the same issue, how to remove the clear coat and repair this wheel?

I have a set of Sport Designs on my 2001 C2. These are 2-piece wheels with the outer section natural polished aluminum that is clear-coated. When I purchased the car, the rears had been repaired as the outer portion of the wheel was now painted aluminum color that matched the center section. Now I have put a scuff on one of the wheels and would like to make the repair.

I have two questions. First, does anyone have experience taking the 2-piece wheel apart for refinishing? Second, does anyone know of a paint that will closely match the natural aluminum finish?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

• 3 months later...
I have exactly the same issue, how to remove the clear coat and repair this wheel?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

The two pc. Sport Design wheels are manufactured in what is called "Diamond-Cut" finish. This is cut by machine (cost: $60,000)..... The best way to replicate on your own is to take the wheel down (apart) and strip the entire lip. After this, give it a polish then follow-up with a brush finish which can be made with a harsh pad or harsh foam or steel fiber etc. Once this is complete you'll need to clean the surface and clear. This is one way to do it.... Or you can take down the set of four and just polish and clear which IMO looks much better anyhow....

Attached is a set I did..... Polished the outers and gloss black on the centers.

-Eli

Wheels-1.gif

Edited by Fast Forward Wheels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...