Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fitting an Outside Air Temp Sensor

• Moderators

I did the retrofit about 5 years ago on a December 1996 Boxster that did not have the temp sensor. All US cars have a/c as it is standard, as did this Dec. 1996 car. But cars made before January 1997 do not have the sensor unless it has the OBC option. US cars made in January 1997 and after have the sensor even if it does not have the OBC option.

I do not think any UK cars have the sensor unless it has a/c or OBC. Strange how the specs are different than a US car.

You have the temp sensor in the front grill and 2 wires that run through the trunk to a white 21 pin connector. You need to put 2 female pins in the connector for the 2 wires. The other half of the connector has/may have the 2 male pins that go to the instrument cluster for the temp sensor. The car I worked on had in the connector the 2 male pins going to the cluster. So I only needed to add the 2 female pins/wires from the sensor into the proper slots of the connector so that they mated with male pins when I put the connector back together.

So, the first thing you need to do is to separate the white 21 pin conector to see if there are 2 male pins in the connector that have no mate, as those male pins go to the cluster. If you do not have these 2 unused male pins then I will have to ask Peter what to do next.

This connector is next to the brake booster on a LHD. No clue where it is on a RHD.

This is the connector on my car as an example. I separated it to get to the horn wire/pin. The purpose of this picture is to show the white 21 pin connector. I do not have a picture of same from when I did the temp sensor retrofit.

post-4-1141072030_thumb.jpg

TP reports that all US cars made post 1/97 have the temp sensor even if no OBC, as is the case w/ my 2000. Does that mean my car is set up for outside temp display, and that the system needs only to be activated? If so (speaking of guilt re being lazy and not searcjing for possible answers) how do I activate it? I'd love to have that info displayed.

Best

• Admin
TP reports that all US cars made post 1/97 have the temp sensor even if no OBC, as is the case w/ my 2000. Does that mean my car is set up for outside temp display, and that the system needs only to be activated? If so (speaking of guilt re being lazy and not searcjing for possible answers) how do I activate it? I'd love to have that info displayed.

Best

Yes, all you need is a PST2 or PIWIS.

Where are you located (I have a PST2)?

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I had the front bumper replaced and the body shop did not fix correctly the outside temperature sensor. It is hanging by its wire inside the right side air intake in the bumper. It is not clear to me how it should be fixed but if I can do it myself, I'll spare me a trip to the body shop which is not close. Can someone post a picture or explanations on how the sensor fits in the bumper

Thanks

Benoit

Thank you. By the way I noticed that because after the bumper installation I had a whistling noise at highway speed coming from the front.

Turned out that even after correctly installing the sensor that was not it. It seems that it was the hood which too high compared to the bumper.

Benoit

• Admin
By the way I noticed that because after the bumper installation I had a whistling noise at highway speed coming from the front.

Turned out that even after correctly installing the sensor that was not it. It seems that it was the hood which too high compared to the bumper.

When the front bumper cover is aligned it takes two people. With the bumper cover mounting screw/bolts loose align the bumper cover and tighten the screws. Close the front hood and check the alignment - if it is not right (even with the hood height) open the hood and re-adjust. Once the hood and bumper cover are aligned you can tighten the other bumper cover screws/bolts.