Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing the Sim card tray in a PCM2

Replacing the Sim card tray in a PCM2

So, if you've got a sim card tray in a PCM 2 unit which either stays in or stays out, you'll need a new sim card tray. You can order a new one by contacting Becker direct and asking for your local becker parts reseller. In the UK, its around £20 plus VAT. In terms of fitting, you'll need a set of torx head drivers, numbers 8 and 6. You'll also need a 5mm hex head allen key. You don't need to disconnect the battery, but its probably adviseable. Remember on UK (and probably all European cars

Edited by t1m

• 1 month later...
So, if you've got a sim card tray in a PCM 2 unit which either stays in or stays out, you'll need a new sim card tray. You can order a new one by contacting Becker direct and asking for your local becker parts reseller. In the UK, its around £20 plus VAT.

hi tim.

so what does it give you? as far as i understand, you can insert a SIM card into a PCM system which shows you your address book and allows you to dial in/out using the car as the phone, right?

the only problem i see with that is it might get annoying to remove/insert your SIM card in/out of the phone every time you get into the car - right?

The Sim card concept, while used in some U.S. phones, is really something that (in my understanding) is a European thing.

Either they are used to moving their Sim Card around or they just keep one in their car.

When you buy a Porsche in the U.S. the Sim slot on the PCM is blocked out. I would imagine that someone who is somewhat courageous, could use this DIY article to try to add the SIM card reader to their PCM to see if it would work, but it could use a different frequency.

I have Cingular and I have a Sim card that I move from phone to phone on occasion and it works great.

• 5 months later...
So, if you've got a sim card tray in a PCM 2 unit which either stays in or stays out, you'll need a new sim card tray. You can order a new one by contacting Becker direct and asking for your local becker parts reseller. In the UK, its around £20 plus VAT.

post-10533-1149279044_thumb.jpg

In terms of fitting, you'll need a set of torx head drivers, numbers 8 and 6. You'll also need a 5mm hex head allen key.

You don't need to disconnect the battery, but its probably adviseable. Remember on UK (and probably all European cars) leave the key in the ignition turned on before you disconnect your battery, else your neighbours will be as unhappy as mine with the secondary siren going off!

1 - Remove the horseshoe facia. There are other posts on this, but it is a push fit. I got mine off by pullinig gently the inside of the facia from each side of the air vents.

2 - With the allen key, rotate the 4 screws (2 either side) of the PCM unit, which will push in some arms which stop the unit coming out.

3 - Pull out the unit and disconnect the connections on the back.

4- Unscrew the two torx head screws on the of the unit. The top half then pulls off from teh front first. Be gentle with this, as it holds the CD player and there is a wired connection between the top and the bottom parts. You'll need ot pull off the connector.

post-10533-1149278577_thumb.jpg

post-10533-1149278743_thumb.jpg

post-10533-1149278660_thumb.jpg

5 - Unscrew the two screws on either side of the case holding the bottom to the front casting. The front then pulls off with some teasing but again, be careful as you'll need to disconnect wire connectors.

post-10533-1149278769_thumb.jpg

6 - Once the front is a stand along piece, unscrew the torx head bolts all around the outside and you now need to get the front off of the casting. This is a little tricky, but the best way is to insert (gently!) a chisel inbetween the plastic casing and the casting around the push on slots to push the plastic up enough to pass over the casting, then use a flat blade screw driver inserted and twisted into the slot in the side to push off the front. You'll need to do this side by side.

post-10533-1149278788_thumb.jpg

7 - Lift off the casing and thread the wires out (you'll need to thread them back through the casing when you refit it)

8 - Lift off the LCD screen and the metal side springs and disconnect the wire connector. By now, you can see the sim card holder.

9 - Pull off the volume know (its a push fit) and lift up the circuit board, and the rubber button moldings.

10 - Unplug the sim card holder (if you havn't already) and unscrew the 4 screws (number 6 torx) holding the sim card tray in.

post-10533-1149278809_thumb.jpg

11 - Put the new tray in and reverse all the above. Don't forget to take a note of where all connections were, and reconnect all wires on the way back.

Can you tell me how long that this will take to do?

Is it a job for the unskilled. The nearist I have been to this is building a PC?

In terms of fitting, you'll need a set of torx head drivers, numbers 8 and 6. You'll also need a 5mm hex head allen key.

You don't need to disconnect the battery, but its probably adviseable. Remember on UK (and probably all European cars) leave the key in the ignition turned on before you disconnect your battery, else your neighbours will be as unhappy as mine with the secondary siren going off!

1 - Remove the horseshoe facia. There are other posts on this, but it is a push fit. I got mine off by pullinig gently the inside of the facia from each side of the air vents.

2 - With the allen key, rotate the 4 screws (2 either side) of the PCM unit, which will push in some arms which stop the unit coming out.

4- Unscrew the two torx head screws on the of the unit. The top half then pulls off from teh front first. Be gentle with this, as it holds the CD player and there is a wired connection between the top and the bottom parts. You'll need ot pull off the connector.

5 - Unscrew the two screws on either side of the case holding the bottom to the front casting. The front then pulls off with some teasing but again, be careful as you'll need to disconnect wire connectors.

6 - Once the front is a stand along piece, unscrew the torx head bolts all around the outside and you now need to get the front off of the casting. This is a little tricky, but the best way is to insert (gently!) a chisel inbetween the plastic casing and the casting around the push on slots to push the plastic up enough to pass over the casting, then use a flat blade screw driver inserted and twisted into the slot in the side to push off the front. You'll need to do this side by side.

7 - Lift off the casing and thread the wires out (you'll need to thread them back through the casing when you refit it)

8 - Lift off the LCD screen and the metal side springs and disconnect the wire connector. By now, you can see the sim card holder.

9 - Pull off the volume know (its a push fit) and lift up the circuit board, and the rubber button moldings.

10 - Unplug the sim card holder (if you havn't already) and unscrew the 4 screws (number 6 torx) holding the sim card tray in.

11 - Put the new tray in and reverse all the above. Don't forget to take a note of where all connections were, and reconnect all wires on the way back.

how do know what pcm model do u have i 2005 996 c4s

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Tim, can you please give me the number of Becker direct in the UK. I think I need a new CD drive and maybe a SIM replacement. Thanks Shap

I'm trying to obtain this part at the moment.

Becker are being funny about supplying the part -"Porsche only"

I have emailed a contact at Becker - he might be able to help.

Regards,

Joe

Hi...... Just wanted to thank you. I was quoted £1,000 +, by Porsche Glasgow for a replacement unit (which was they're answer to the problem.

I noticed a couple of people stating that moving your sim card around could be too much hassle but I have a second sim card supplied by Orange which means if I don't answer my hand held phone or it's switched off the calls are automatically switched to the car phone sim. Maybe this would be of interest to others.

I would be grateful if you could confirm a telephone number for Becker and I will follow your guidance notes to the letter.

Thanks again...... Stephen

For info:

Advanced Electronics & Logistics Ltd., High Street, Princess End, Tipton, West Midlands DY4 9HG Tel.: 121-5226652, Fax: 121-5201352

Hi guys,

I just phoned Advanced Electronics who said they need the make and model number of the sim card drawer.... my car is a '03' 996 Carrera 4S. Can you help me out with this info??????

Hi

Just wanted to thank you again for an excellent write-up. I have ordered the sim card tray and will let you know how I get on with replacing it in a few weeks time.

Maybe worth noting for others with the same problem that, Advanced Electrinics initially refused to send me the sim card tray when I mentioned Porsche but when I said I wanted a "Becker PCM2 tray" - NO PROBLEM

Thanks again..... Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did it!

But now I have a problem: The PCM2 unit doesn't work properly

I think it's a software problem, because it's blocked. The screen works, volume blocked, phone works, radio station blocked, but all the buttons aren't operative.

I have to replace the car battery

• 1 month later...
I did it!

I think it's a software problem, because it's blocked. The screen works, volume blocked, phone works, radio station blocked, but all the buttons aren't operative.

Did you get it fixed in the end?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I did it!

Did you get it fixed in the end?

No

The PCM unit is not working

I dismantled it again and I couldn't repair it

I sent the unit to Becker harmann spanish tecnichal service , but they told me that the mainboard was in bad conditions.

It's too much expensive the repair price, to get a non updating navigator

Last update CD were 2005

PCM 2 it's is obsolete

I'm going to purchase a Becker Indianapolis Pro

But I don't know if it will work with the BUS MOST

Anybody knows?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have any idea of the placement of the two small copper/brass coloured pieces between/near the white plastic frame and the screen itself ?

And the SIM tray is no longer available as a separate part except to Porsche, but there are DIY repairs using paperclips melted through the plastic, which is apparently stronger.

Edited by dvenman