Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Boxster Bumper (EURO Style)

I finally got around to ordering a new rear bumper and it came in yesterday. I went to install it today and realized DPS parts sent me a Euro style 2004 Bumper for my 2001 Boxster. Naturally I got kind of excited because I could finally get rid of the rear bumperettes. I removed the old bumper took off the actually bumper, and drilled out the rivets that hold the plate for the bumperettes. I installed the new bumper everything looked great until I realized that you can see the heat shield through the diffusers.

Now my question is, along with a new bumper in 2004 does the Boxster heat shield change? Or do I have to just bend and adjust it to fit which would kind of be easy. Also does the new style spoiler on the 2004s require a new assembly or and I just dumb and couldn’t figure out how to attach it?.....I currently left the old 2001 style spoiler on and it doesn’t look half bad but I would like to eventually get the 2004 style on there just to finish the look.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out what to do with the heat shield. Also does anyone know where to purchase the bumper heat shields that attached to the actual bumper (the n shaped on for the exhaust in the center and the diffuser shields)

Thanks sorry for the long post just trying to finish this thing.

~James~

As one who had a car slide into his (while mine was stopped at a light), I thank goodness for the bumperettes which saved serious body damage. As it was, $3k worth of bumper and bumper structure and muffler work but no damage at all to sheet metal or lights.

I did taken the opportunity to get the bumperettes painted by Eric.

Suggest you reconsider....or pay later.

• Moderators

There is not a true euro bumper cover. All covers are the same. For US cars 2 holes are cut into the "euro" cover to clear the brackets. There are marks inside the cover so the body shop knows where to cut the openings.

A few people have put the 2003/2004 cover on an early car, such as Ian. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...entry4224

I do remember that someone who had the retrofit done had an issue with seeing the heat shield showing through the diffusers. It might have been Ian, but I'm not sure because others have done the retrofit. I do not remember anyone asking for heat shield parts numbers, so I assume the original heat shield was bent. You might ask Ian.

The parts list has a listing for "heat protection." 1997-2002 is 986 505 475 00 and 2003-2004 is 986 505 475 01. I cannot tell from the diagram if it is a heat shield, but I bet it is. The 2003/4 heat shield would not be as tall as an early car. You can see the muffler through the cover on a 2003/4, but not an early car.

The heat shield that goes above the tail pipe is riveted on. 2003/4 shield is 986 505 811 02. The pop rivet is 999 190 463 30. The back-up washer for the rivet is 900 151 028 02. You need 2 rivets and washers, or use standard pop rivets.