Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Leak Today!

Well, I joined the "Coolant Leak" gang today,

after reading about such topics around the forums.

I've noticed a little low coolant level past 2 weeks,

topped it up, and it has remained pretty steady, maybe very slight loss.

Temp has been normal, no leaks at all in garage.

Then today, while I was driving, suddenly the "Check Coolant" light came on

and the red light flashed on the temp gauge (even though the temp was at midway).

So I drove slowly for another 3 miles, reached my work place.

Looked at the coolant level and it was way low below min.

2 hours later, I went back and looked under the car, there was a puddle of coolant. My driver's side rear wheel was splashed with coolant on the inside,

There was drips of coolant all over the underside of the car on the splash guards (plastic covers). I couldn't really see much with the car that low, but there were drips everywhere on the rear half of the underside.

I'm thinking if I should drive it home 9 miles when it's completely cooled down

and hose all the coolant off the underside...

then tow it to the shop another time with an appointment.

Or should I just tow it straight to the shop?

Should I be worried with the coolant doing damage to any bodyparts down there? Insulation coating, rustproofing...etc??

Thanks.

Usually coolant tank leaks will be most noticeable when the coolant is hot and under pressure. The tank may not leak at all when cold. No damage will occur to surrounding parts but after your new tank is installed you can hose off the underside in your driveway. I would top the tank off with distilled water and drive to your dealer and watch the temp gauge, if it warms up a bit too much add more water if low. On the other hand if you are not comfortable with have it flatbedded. I'm just the DIY type on most everthing. (I would replace it myself)

Edited by nick49

Thanks for the tip, nick.

I checked the cap and the number on it ends 01, the tank itself has a number that ends in 02.

So probably the cap and tank are both upgraded versions.

After looking at the underside more, it looks more like a hose or waterpump problem.

The engine bay is spotless with not one drop of coolant.

But the underside is "sprayed" all over with coolant, from the center of the car and back.

There are "drops" of coolant "hanging" everywhere like a high pressure leak did a good spray job.

I wish I could lift up the car to have a look, if it's a hose, I could replace it myself.

I've read about simple things like a bad clamp on a hose, etc.

But if it's a waterpump, I'll leave it to the pro.

I topped the coolant with bottled drinking water from work,

it took about 1.5 liters (3 bottles).

Your description sounds more like a hose, generally a plastic reservior leak is a small split that leaks only when hot and drips a small amount onto the exhaust manifold. The first indication is usually a burned coolant smell followed by a small spot on the garage floor. It my be worthwhile to get a light under the car and have a look and possibly jack up the right side. Good Luck.

Your description sounds *very* similar to a problem I had on the way to a hearing. Except I had a plume of steam coming from the rear as well. Turns out that a small plastic fitting near the alternator failed. When the engine was running, it was spraying coolant everywhere, very quickly, and under pressure. If you look for the thread I posted in on removing alternators you can see some of my pictures of the general area. The fitting is about a five dollar part but is not, according to my local dealer, an 'in-stock' item. They had to pull it off of an engine that was shipped in to replace a blown one. I'll see if I can find an appropriate pic.

Bottom line, I wouldn't risk overheating the engine. Get it towed to the shop.

... Except I had a plume of steam coming from the rear as well. Turns out that a small plastic fitting near the alternator failed. ...

Take a look at the plastic fitting that is just right of the idler pulley. See the small hose feeding into it? Its full of pressurized coolant. The fitting failed and spewed coolant *everywhere*.

post-4576-1156364056_thumb.jpg

post-4576-1156364330_thumb.jpg

Edited by viper501

Thanks guys! Here's the update:

First, it's not the cap, nor is it the coolant tank. I checked and the cap has #...01 and the tank #...02

Besides, the engine bay was spotless clean. I suspected it to be either a hose or the water pump.

Well, the independent shop is about 35 miles away. I didn't think I should take the risk.

Had it towed today to the shop, they had the car on a dolly, coz' their flatbeds were being used.

Doesn't make a difference to me, all 4 wheels are off the ground. I haven't got the bill yet,

but he told me it's $3 a mile, and my insurance has free roadside assistance which pays first $75.

Called my mechanic today, he said it was just a bad hose. Pheewww!

But still...he did a pressure test, checked the whole cooling system, flushed and replaced coolant, and replaced the hose. He said there was barely any coolant left!

I suspect it was coz' the car was lifted front higher than the rear on the dolly...I saw coolant dripping as soon as the tow guy finished setting up the car in that angle.

He didn't say how much, but mentioned he spent 3 hours. This is a reputable independent Porsche master technician in my area, which I have just appointed as my mechanic, with strong recommendation from my 2 BMW mechanics. I'm kinda giving him a "test run", like a probation.

Do you guys think 3 hours is fair for this job? I think he charges around $80-$85 (not very sure) per hr. He did tell me he's not known for "cheap" coz' he's only a little cheaper than the dealer, but rather his reputation is "quality".

I'm also having him do a major maintenance *** inspection service on the car since I've just got it for a month. So it will be similar to a 75k service, with engine compression test and all...for about just over $800. Again, I have no idea at all about the $$$. He says the dealer would probably charge about $1300 for the same job, but he also claims he will definitely do a better quality job than the dealer! This is his own business. I was also very frank with him, told him I am a new Porsche owner, looking for a good and honest longtime personal mechanic, and IF at anytime I find out he's dishonest, I'm gone...and would spread the word fast. He laughed and assured me he is the man.

So you veterans with all the experience, for starters, please tell me if the 3hrs labor for the cooling system job, and the $800+ for the service are reasonable.

Thank you!