Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight Bulbs

Hi,

I have a UK spec (C16) '98 996 C2 and have noticed the lights arent up to much on the dark back roads (non Xenon)

I was hoping to be able to get a higher wattage main lights - but does anyone know the type and wattage of the standard bulbs? And what you can go to for a bright light while staying legal?

Hi,

I have a UK spec (C16) '98 996 C2 and have noticed the lights arent up to much on the dark back roads (non Xenon)

I was hoping to be able to get a higher wattage main lights - but does anyone know the type and wattage of the standard bulbs? And what you can go to for a bright light while staying legal?

You are right, the usual lights are not great, but I don't know of a solution. Hopefully now that you've raised the question in this forum I'll benefit as well (2000 C4).

well, on my last car I just bought some X-white bulbs from Japan - okay not 100% legal (not EU approved) but made such a difference...

I just need the type/wattaged etc of the standard lights to try and find brighter bulbs (and know if there is any melting issue with the headlights?)

I use PIAA xtreme white plus (same wattage as the standard) in my other cars and they're great. They're DOT approved so they're legal in the US, not sure about in EU.

Philips Vision Plus claims to produce 50% more light but have not tried it personally. Not sure about UK spec'ed cars but in US, '99 uses H7 55W for low beam.

- Ahsai

I use PIAA xtreme white plus (same wattage as the standard) in my other cars and they're great. They're DOT approved so they're legal in the US, not sure about in EU.

Philips Vision Plus claims to produce 50% more light but have not tried it personally. Not sure about UK spec'ed cars but in US, '99 uses H7 55W for low beam.

- Ahsai

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

- Ahsai

Thanks for your help!

I had the same "problem" in my -99 Carrera 4. Switching to Philips premium bulbs made a big difference. I choose "Vision Plus" for high beam and "NightGuide" for dipped beam. H7 55W all around.

Another tip is Philips GT150 "PowerNight".

The "Night Guide" has differentiated color for left and right. I don´t know if there is a version available for LH traffic. The theory is: Left side - yellow, for less glare for oncoming trafic. Right side - blue, for better reading of signs. It works.

Philips topped the first five places in a bulb test published in the swedish Auto Motor & Sport last year. Test ranking below.

Place and Average light strength

1. Philips GT150 PowerNight 100%

2. Philips Vision Plus 96%

3. Philips NightGuide 95%

4. Philips Premium 93%

5. Philips Blue Vision (blue) 88%

6. Ring Xenon Plus 30% 87%

7. Philips Long Life 86%

8. GE Megalight plus 50% 82%

9. Osram Silverstar 50% 81%

10.Osram Standard 79%

11.Philips Silver Vision (blue) 79%

12.GE Standard 76%

13.Osram All season (yellow) 74%

17.Osram Cool Blue (blue) 64%

And no, I´m not affiliated with Philips in any way... :)

Edited by BjornH