The RennTech.org site is Member supported! - All new donations will go towards our 2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Airbag Cover (passenger side) Replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paxralt

paxralt

• Members
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted February 23, 2004 - 04:00 PM

my '98 boxster was broken into and the morons destroyed my passenger side airbag cover. i have purchased a replacement cover and am looking for instructions for the removal of the damaged cover and installation of the new one including whtether or not there is any reprogramming necessary. thanks in advance for any help offered. :help:

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

#2 Tool Pants

Tool Pants

Boxsternaut

• Moderators
  • 5,029 posts
Excellent

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:53 PM

Can't happen on my 1997 since the side air bags started in 1998.

http://www.renntech....ent&code=diy_dp

No need to go to a dealer unless the light is in. Have no idea how far they got into the removal, so have the dealer hook you up to the PST2 and check out the system. Jeff

#3 umn

umn

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 135 posts
Neutral

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:10 AM

Hi Jeff, I think he might be talking abouth the passenger-side airbag-cover as opposed to the passenger side-airbag-cover. :unsure: Cheers, Uwe

#4 Tool Pants

Tool Pants

Boxsternaut

• Moderators
  • 5,029 posts
Excellent

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:42 AM

Oh, that air bag?

Posted Image

#5 paxralt

paxralt

• Members
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted February 25, 2004 - 08:47 PM

thanks tool pants - but the air bag cover i refer to is in the dash - where yours used to be i guess - nice work though - i will save the diagrams and instructions for future reference - if you have a link to instructions and/or diagrams for the airbag cover removal and install that would be great - umn - i have no idea what you mean unless you are trying out some syllogistic humor - but thanks anyway

#6 Tool Pants

Tool Pants

Boxsternaut

• Moderators
  • 5,029 posts
Excellent

Posted February 25, 2004 - 09:53 PM

Umn was just having some fun. I assumed it was the side air bag until I saw his post. The pic is not my car. The mechanics I know at my local dealer send me pictures of interesting things they find on customer cars. Can't look at the shop manual at the moment, so from memory since I have never done this. First, disconnect the battery. Remove the foam cover under the dash held in place with 2 plastic plugs. Look up and you will see 2 bolts for the cover. Remove the bolts and the cover will pivot up like in the picture. The cover is hinged at the top and will look just like the pic except you will not have a mini disc unit behind it. :o Oh, the hinge in the picture looks like a kitchen cabinet item so the hinge you will see will be different. Take some pictures and let us know how it goes. I did not know our cars were a target of air bag thefts like other cars.

#7 dchan

dchan

• Members
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted March 11, 2004 - 08:12 PM

I tried to replace my airbag cover also but could not get it remove. The airbag is in front of the cover and I think I need to remove the airbag first then the cover. Anyone knows the instruction to get it remove.

#8 paxralt

paxralt

• Members
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted March 11, 2004 - 09:54 PM

thanks for the replies - i was going to do the job myself but i took the car into the shop for another issue and the guys there took care of it for me on another issue - are there any sources for parts that are better than porshe dealerships?? o've been contemplating buying online but am wary of quality issues thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org