Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgrading 996 TT in Italy

Hi everybody from Italy,

i have a 996 TT m.y.2001 actually step 1 ECU still with K16 turbos around 490 HP.

Now it's time to upgrade but in Italy it's quite difficult and to get around 600 HP i must spend around 20.000 US$ !!!!!! :censored:

Nobody supplies k24 turbos except Porsche factory but with prices out of mind, so i'm spending my time looking for new parts in USA. :notworthy:

I have read all the topics concerning 996 upgrade in this great forum and now my question is if with the following changes i will get what i'm looking for, 600 HP or around them!

K24 turbochargers

New cooolers (40% bigger than stock)

BMC air filter

5 BAR FPR

Wastegate boost kit (set at 1.0 bar)

100 cells catalitic converters (in Italy almost legal)

New ECU program (this will be a big problem, don't know yet where to find it !!!) <_<

Stronger clutch ???? (any suggestion about the best to use?)

Do you think it's enough or need something more ?

Any suggestions well accepted !!! :thumbup:

Thank you in advance.

Stefano

I would suggest hybrid turbos for less lag...Don't need new IC's for 600hp, Probably do not need FPR unless at altitude. Wastegate kit great...set to 1.2. Definately exhaust, intake plenum and intake/filter..all about the air flow. Yes on the clutch..Sachs stage 2 GT3RS...Must have ECU! May need new suspension as well. Have fun.

Thank you so much, lot of ideas !

Where can i buy clutch stage2 GT3RS ?

If i ask in Italy to any supplier a clutch stage 2 this is the way they look at me ... :eek:

We are 20 years behind you in upgrading cars (except Germany obviously).

Thank you again.

Stefano

P.S. Hey, your car looks great !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, got news in my upgrade but here i have a new problem, hope that somebody had this problem !!!

I have just uploaded new program on the ECU to work with K24 turbos i have just installed.

They have told me that i should have got 1,2-1,25 bar pression but my digital indicator shows pressure going from 0,9 to 1,1 that is just a little bit more then before.

So we were asking the reason of this situation because they were absolutely sure that i should have get 1,2 even because the same map on a GT2 was working at 1,2 correctly!!!

We have decided to check the real pressure connecting an analogic bar indicator directly with the pop-off and it shows what we think is the correct pressure which is going from 1,15 to 1,25 that would be perfect!!!

And really the sensation is that the car is quite faster then before even if i was expecting more !

So my question is, does anybody have had problem with the pressure transmitter, may has it gone out of range for some strange reason showing me a pressure that is constantly 10-15% less then the real ?

Or maybe i should change, with increasing pressure, the OEM pop-off with two forge pop-off, or something else?

Thank you.

Ciao Stefano

did you upgrade the wastegate springs? If not the stock ones will release pressure too early, thus preventing achieving higher boost. You should upgrade the DV, but this is not likely the reason for the difference unless the stock ones have failed. The main reason for upgrading the stock DVs is maintenance, not performance. I'm not sure how accurate or precise the stock pressure gauge is, but I do suspect it is not responding as quickly as the one you hooked up to the DV.

Hi Wross,

no, not yet, the waste-gates are stock at the moment!!!

I'm thinking about this because some people is telling me that upgradind waste-gates is not necessary for some reason i'm trying to understand but i'm beginning to think that it's a must do!!!

Did you have experiences with this ? I mean, have you seen big differences changing from the stock waste-gates to the upgraded ones or you have installed all together with the new turbos ?

Thanks a lot Wross

The improvement in mid-range torque is close to 30% and ability to hold/sustain boost at 1.2 bars...easy. Probably the most noticeable change...if you have the other components to take advantage of it (e.g., will not help stock K16s).