Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Measuring the Turbo Boost!

What would be the best way to measure Turbo Boost? Should it be done gear by gear individually or in a certain gear?

My car is a 2005 996 Turbo S Cabriolet with Tiptronic S Transmission, it has 8K mi on it. I was trying to get some readings on the Turbo Boost earlier today first time ever and my readings were not impressive at all. My 1st gear I was able to see .4, 2nd gear read as .7, 3rd gear was back to .6, did not even try 4th gear. I was getting on it pretty hard too. What am I doing wrong? Or Should I be worried about my car? Thanks in advance…

What would be the best way to measure Turbo Boost? Should it be done gear by gear individually or in a certain gear?

My car is a 2005 996 Turbo S Cabriolet with Tiptronic S Transmission, it has 8K mi on it. I was trying to get some readings on the Turbo Boost earlier today first time ever and my readings were not impressive at all. My 1st gear I was able to see .4, 2nd gear read as .7, 3rd gear was back to .6, did not even try 4th gear. I was getting on it pretty hard too. What am I doing wrong? Or Should I be worried about my car? Thanks in advance…

Hi. I have stock 'Turbo' and those kind of figures seem pretty much like mine. However, you have 'S' so it may well run higher boost (0.9 - 1 bar stock??). In 1st, you wont get as much boost, but the revs increase that fast, the update for the meter wont be as quick as the pressure is rising/changing, so you may just see 0.4. The other gears as i say are similar to mine, 4th incidentally I can regulary see 0.8, but you are doing well over 100mph at that point. The only time i had an issue is when i only saw 0.6 in second and boost slow to come up and that was due to a leaky diverter (stock rubbish). Mine is manual transmission. Still under warrantee????

Using the stock gage...run WOT in fourth and fifth...see what boost is sustained. You should be getting .8-.9 if the car is stock.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, but for give me this may sound stupid, What is running WOT in 4th or 5th gear? How do you do it? Thanks..

By the way Wross996TT this is one mean looking TT you have there, I like your front bumper too. Where did you get it? Thanks...

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, but for give me this may sound stupid, What is running WOT in 4th or 5th gear? How do you do it? Thanks..

By the way Wross996TT this is one mean looking TT you have there, I like your front bumper too. Where did you get it? Thanks...

WOT = wide open throttle...just floor it in 3rd and 4th and watch what bar you hit and sustain (not spikes).

Thanks, it is a TechArt GTS Type II (got from Arling @lucent)...the full description of mods is in the link in my sig.

Edited by wross996TT

Hi. I have stock 'Turbo' and those kind of figures seem pretty much like mine. However, you have 'S' so it may well run higher boost (0.9 - 1 bar stock??). In 1st, you wont get as much boost, but the revs increase that fast, the update for the meter wont be as quick as the pressure is rising/changing, so you may just see 0.4. The other gears as i say are similar to mine, 4th incidentally I can regulary see 0.8, but you are doing well over 100mph at that point. The only time i had an issue is when i only saw 0.6 in second and boost slow to come up and that was due to a leaky diverter (stock rubbish). Mine is manual transmission. Still under warrantee????

Hello FastBoyDave,

I just saw your question, yes the car is still under warrantee for a few more months. Also any advise on items need to be checked before warrantee expires would be appriciated, thanks..

UPDATE!

Today first time ever I was able to see a 1.0 bar in 2nd gear 'what a rush!" and sustained it through out to 5800 RPM in 3rd gear and droped it to .9 towards to end at this point I was already at 125+ and could not try the 4th gear. Tiptronic transmissions have an unbelievable 3rd gear and it scares me. Then I tried to duplicate it and best I was able to get was same scenerio with .8 and .7 so I don't understand, whats going on with my readings.

Cheers

With a Turbo S you should have the K24 turbos. You need to get the car in manual mode; find a long stretch of road; put it in 4th gear; and when you get to around 65mph, go WOT and look at your boost gauge. If you are stock, you should see 1.0 bar. I have a 2003 X50 (with the K24s) and that is what my boost reading was when I did this test. If you're only seeing .7 bar, you might need to get your car checked for leaks, loose hoses, wastegate adjustments, etc. .7 bar is what the K16 turboed cars hit when stock. Good luck.

Dsendag, what Valley996TT says is correct. If your NOT happy with the boost (seems variable although atmospheric conditions do affect it) then you probably have an intermittent issue (hoses, wastegate but more likely diverter valves). The dealer should (if under warrantee) do a full pressure check of the system if you are not happy etc. If they argue with you that it is perfectly fine, ask them for a drive of another X50 to see......... there's no argument then......

Can you continue your warrantee? May be an idea if you are leaving it stock? Each year i have gained my money back and more with the items that have gone wrong. Some that i can remember are: Clutch release baring (common fault), faulty front radiator (centre), alternator, 3x cracked ingnition coils, diverter valve (common fault), clutch slave cylinder and one or two other things i cant remember. Is your coolant level being maintained?? You can have a cracked header tank (quite common), although i dont think this is under the extended warrantee?

They are good cars (driving) but by no means without their faults.......

so the max boost of a 966 tt stock is 0.9 ?

With X50 (or S version) you will get 0.9-1.0, Without you will get 0.7-0.8...some of which depends on environmental conditions, fuel, etc.

Edited by wross996TT

so the max boost of a 966 tt stock is 0.9 ?

With X50 (or S version) you will get 0.9-1.0, Without you will get 0.7-0.8...some of which depends on environmental conditions, fuel, etc.

yesterday i saw 0.8, for a stock not X50 or S is ok ?

yesterday i saw 0.8, for a stock not X50 or S is ok ?

What was the temperature, humidity, barometric pressure? What altitude? What octane gas? Was the .8 sustained or just a spike? What gear were you in? what RPM?

:)) funny !!

temp 20-24 celsius, gas from OMV station 100 octane, the car is tiptronic i dind't see what gear was, high rpm... is ok ?

0.8 is great! Get an ECU flash and see 1.0-1.1! I assume your octane is RON...so it is like ~94 PON (R+M/2)

Edited by wross996TT

:)) funny !!

temp 20-24 celsius, gas from OMV station 100 octane, the car is tiptronic i dind't see what gear was, high rpm... is ok ?

0.8 is great! Get an ECU flash and see 1.0-1.1! I assume your octane is RON...so it is like ~94 PON (R+M/2)

i am from europe and here from the gas station you can put 100octane

I have a 996tt with k24 turbos, normally i see 0,8-1 boost but i have now max boost on all gears at 0,4 . Any suggestions what i have to check?

Get the codes read...you are in limp which could be a number of things...perhaps a leak, MAF,...anyway too many possibilities. Get the codes read.

• 4 months later...

Just some clarification...when folks say they saw .9 or 1.0 or whatever is this sustained? I mean is this what you get in third or fourth WOT? If not it is just a spike and not representative of what your car is really boosting. Stock K16s will get you .6-.7 with spikes above that when conditions (e.g., environmental) are favorable. With a flash you can get much higher...the question is when do the K16s run out of power...most agree it is about 1.0-1.1. So even though they might boost >1.1, the power is not there. BTW it is not all about the boost....

• 11 months later...
I have a 996tt with k24 turbos, normally i see 0,8-1 boost but i have now max boost on all gears at 0,4 . Any suggestions what i have to check?

Have a look at the oil level, when the oil level is too low you can have more than 0.4 bar boost. This is an ECU security.