Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dead Battery

Ok, my Porsche has been standing a lot lately. I have not had the time to keep her battery power charged. SO! I tried to start her yesterday and noticed very little power. I cannot even pop the hood to get to the battery.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to jump the car without accessing the battery?

Loren?

• Admin

Well, the little jumper spot on the fuse box didn't come out until MY01 so I would try a Battery maintainer in the lighter.

All you need is enough power to pop the hood. If that doesn't work you can use the emergency release cable.

Well, the little jumper spot on the fuse box didn't come out until MY01 so I would try a Battery maintainer in the lighter.

All you need is enough power to pop the hood. If that doesn't work you can use the emergency release cable.

Where do I find the emergency release cable?

Where do I find the emergency release cable?

Disregard, I think I found it in the owners manual.

You are the KING Loren!!

Model year 2000 has a pair of mechanical levers in the door sills to open the trunks. Can you pull up on those levers?

I have those levers, but unfortunately they do not move. It's as if they are locked.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get to the battery? I dont want to get the car towed just because of the battery. :huh:

• Moderators

The levers are locked because the alarm was on when the battery died.

There are several methods to get into the front trunk, all of which have been covered here before.

The simple method is to get one of those chargers that can charge the battery through the lighter socket. Since your car sits a lot you can use it later as well.

Hi Tool Pants and Loren,

Please forgive my ignorance. I am strugling with this. When you refer to the right wheel well, do you mean from exterior? Do I have to remove the well liner?

Also, do you know if the CR23 radio will work in my car?

Edited by flyboyshell

• Admin

It will depend on the size of your hand - some folks can reach up from underneath and grab it and some folks take one of the plastic rivets out to slip their hand in (that would be me).

A CDR-23 is a MOST bus radio will only work in a MY03 and newer car.

• Moderators

Like this in a LHD USA car. My fingers are on the loop on the end of the cable.

The wheels were not straight ahead. The head light had been removed. It will not be this easy for you. You will be working blind and the cable is not always where it should be.

post-4-1185743824_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Th emergency release cable is behind the right front wheel well liner. It has been covered many times here. You just need to reach in there and pull the cable.

i had a similar situation.However the emergency cable would not release the hood. The emergency cable appears to be binding.Any other way to access

I have a jump-station on hand (one of those portable battery jump boxes). They are very cheap nowadays, 50 bucks or so. It also has a DC power outlet. Low and behold when my battery went dead, plugging a cable in between that socket and my lighter socket gave juice to the car. It was enough to operate the alarm, which in turn unlocked the levers on the drivers side and I opened the hood.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to jump your car through this configuration. Use it to open the hood and jump directly to the battery.

• 4 months later...

Its pretty tricky , U would have to wear a short sleeve t shirt. So your arm can slide in there almost to your elbow.

pry the cap between 2 thin plastic fender well cover then dig for it - be ready to get some scratches on your arm.

Edited by juniinc

Another way of using a 'jump-station' or extra battery is to connect the negative to the door striker and then apply the positive 12v across both legs of fuse c3 in the fuse panel - this will also give the alarm etc enough power for you to press unlock quickly on the keyfob & pop boot/ bonnet etc.

This worked on my my98 boxster - you will then have to purchase a new battery - lead-acid batteries do not tolerate being less than half-full very well - you will probably have damaged the plates and it will never store the charge it was designed to.

I don't understand

how this can work in minutes unless the minutes number in the hundreds. We are told don't try to jump the battery via the lighter socket because the wiring isn't up to carrying the load. And given that to replenish the battery enough to start the car (at least a seriously down battery) you have to feed in a serious amount of amps, how is connecting a battery thru the lighter socket going to feed power to the down battery fast enough so that you can start in minutes? Wouldn't you burn the wiring up if you tried to do it in minutes? Or depended on the jumper battery for the umph while you cranked the engine?

It doesn't come with a sprinkler system? hahaha

yup starter will draw some serious ampere, cranking AMP should be 500~700 amps. Probably why everything works but the starter doesn't crank when your battery is drained. Another reason why thick #4 AWG WIRE is directly distributed from a battery + terminal. In minutes,or hours I would never try to start my baby with a cigarette lighter booster,,,

BUT IT IS A REALLY CONVENIENT TOOL TO RELEASE YOUR FROZEN FRONT LID, THEN KEEP HER MAINTAINED