Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Yep I'm doing another engine swap, can we say X-51?

Well you are probably all getting bored with all the engines my poor car has received. But I couldn't resist a good price on a brand new X-51 3.6 even if my current 3.6 only has ~15k miles on it.

post-4060-1188679856_thumb.jpg

post-4060-1188679887_thumb.jpg

It should be here on Friday.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well you are probably all getting bored with all the engines my poor car has received. But I couldn't resist a good price on a brand new X-51 3.6 even if my current 3.6 only has ~15k miles on it.

Todd,

Do you change engines so frequently because it's easier than changing the oil? :lol:

Mental? Nope, just like to tinker, especially when people tell you it can't be done.

Eventually we will get to an X51 3.8. The process of physically fitting the motor is really not much different than any of the other engines that have been in there. The limiting factor on these larger motors is getting a proper exhaust to work with the larger displacement motors as the largest of the aftermarket systems for the boxster are designed for the 3.2. With the X51 I am going to try and modify the stock X51 headers to work.

Todd

• Admin

post-1-1188766877.gif

X51 uses differnet:

Pistons

Inlet camshafts and exhaust camshafts

Valve discs, valve springs, valve guides, valve seats

Valves, valve caps

Dual-chamber suction pump at cylinder bank 4 - 6

Oil suction pipe

Oil pan with partition box

Gasket for exhaust manifolds

Exhaust manifolds

Suction line on AIC compressor

Intake pipes

Intake distributors

The transmission should be fine but you might want to make sure your clutch is up to spec.

Edited by Loren
corrected list

post-1-1188766877.gif

X51 uses differnet:

Pistons

Inlet camshafts and exhaust camshafts

Valve discs, valve springs, valve guides, valve seats

Valves, valve caps

Dual-chamber suction pump at cylinder bank 4 - 6

Oil suction pipe

Oil pan with partition box

Gasket for exhaust manifolds

Exhaust manifolds

Suction line on AIC compressor

Intake pipes

Intake distributors

The transmission should be fine but you might want to make sure your clutch is up to spec.

Is there a diff spec for the clutch? Newbie here and just got a 996 C2 (2002) with X51...having issues with shifting to first gear. Sometimes I can shift to 1st gear with ease, other times it won't go through. Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks.

Loren,

are you sure it replaces the pistons. I was under the impression it is just a top end kit.

According to the Tech Bulletin

-new intake manifolds with modified cross-section and made of cast aluminum

new intake pipe supports

new exhaust manifolds with larger cross section and optimized flow

new cylinder heads with optimized CNC milled inlet ports

new camshafts with larger valve stroke on inlet side and modified inlet an outlet timing

new intake valve springs to account for longer stroke

modified partition box in oil pan

new DME maps

additional center rad

That is why you can add it after the fact to a normal 3.6 motor. It will be interesting to compare as the dyno curve shows you loose some low end torque to gain the top end increases.

And don't worry, it is getting a new performance clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

Todd,

What intake manifold will you use with the X-51? Will the X one fit under the Box sheet metal or will you end up bolting a Boxster piece on?

Are you worried about the transmission at all, or are the Box transmissions good for the extra torque? (I've never been able to find torque limits on them.)

Thanks,

Eric

tholyoak, this post really interests me..... I'm thinking of doing a swap to a 3.6l on my 2000 boxster s but came across a great deal for a 2002 3.6l turbo engine. Would you have any thoughts about installing a turbo engine in the boxster? My real worry is that the engine will be too big for the car and that it won't fit the boxster tranny. PM me if you still have the 3.6 motor available and how much you'd want for it.

Thanks and keep proving all those nay sayers wrong:)

marc

It will use the X51 engine as it is configured. The X51 doesn't add any torque acccording to Porsche, and my trans has had no issues with all the miles with the 3.4 and 3.6 engines already so I'm not worried about it. I am sure if you like to drag race or do smokey burnouts that the trans would have a short lifespan, even with the 2.5 .

Todd

Off the top of my head I can see the following issues with the turbo motor.

1) the turbo block is based upon the aircooled 964/993 engine and as such has a different bolt pattern for the flywheel. You would therefore need a custom flywheel fabricated to mate to the crank of the engine and the trans.

2) Again similar to trying to fit a GT3 engine, the 964/993 heritage of the the engine (dry sump engine) requires an external oil tank that won't fit as configured in the boxster and would need to be relocated.

3) Intercooler mounting, obviously won't fit where it does in the stock car. There was a guy in europe who had a turbo and the intercooler replaced the rear trunk. Anyway the intake and exhaust plumbiing would require some major fabrication.

I'm sure it could be done, but it would be considerably more work than the other engine swap options. I'm not selling the motor, I was interested to see if there was any interest in having me do a swap on someone's car with it. If not I will pick up a car to stick it into.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

1) the turbo block is based upon the aircooled 964/993 engine and as such has a different bolt pattern for the flywheel. You would therefore need a custom flywheel fabricated to mate to the crank of the engine and the trans.

2) Again similar to trying to fit a GT3 engine, the 964/993 heritage of the the engine (dry sump engine) requires an external oil tank that won't fit as configured in the boxster and would need to be relocated.

3) Intercooler mounting, obviously won't fit where it does in the stock car. There was a guy in europe who had a turbo and the intercooler replaced the rear trunk. Anyway the intake and exhaust plumbiing would require some major fabrication.

I'm sure it could be done, but it would be considerably more work than the other engine swap options. I'm not selling the motor, I was interested to see if there was any interest in having me do a swap on someone's car with it. If not I will pick up a car to stick it into.

Todd

Todd,

I am jealous of your technical know-how. I'm very interested in your swap of my 2000 Boxster 2.7 with your 3.6, however, I'm in central North Carolina. Also, to add to the technical difficulty I have a Tiptronic.

To satisfy my curiousity, I will monitor your progress through this forum, since it is a goal of mine to sometime upgrade my engine.

Good Luck! :renntech:

Hoku

2000 2.7 Boxster - Tiptronic

Todd

I think Todd is right. I saw a photo write up a while back of a guy who put a 996TT motor in a Boxter. He gave up his trunk space for all the TT plumbing and intercooler. I never heard how it all turned out though.

Keep it up Todd. The world needs more mavericks!

WOW...beautiful with unseen potential energy just oozing out of it. You will have one Angry Boxster that will shock anything on the road. I can't wait to see and hear the end product.

Best of Luck!

Hoku

2000 2.7 Boxster - Tiptronic

• 7 months later...
No idea. I value my clutch, tires and trans more than I do having a 0-60 time to brag about online. ;)

Cmom dude, all that great work for these engines and you haven't tried some key benchmarks of the car you have created :rolleyes: