Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery Maintainer

Battery Maintainer...

With my Cayman S literature there was a mail in form to order a Battery Maintainer…not talking about the Maintainer/Charger (this item I understand). I’m sure every other Porsche owner got this as well.

Has anyone used this Maintainer for long-term storage? I don’t know why this item exists; the manual clearly illustrates how to remove the battery for long-term storage.

Is the idea behind this product to save the work and efforts of battery removal and re-installation?

Does anyone use this Maintainer? Have you used for short-term storage (couple of weeks)? Is there a serious battery draw concern if idle for a couple of weeks? Or have you used for long-term winter storage (few months)? For those in the North.

Many questions…I know.

Thanks

Airharvey, I also think it is a warranty issue too. Read your warranty info. For the 987 it states in my book on pages 10 and 11:

"YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR NORMAL VEHICLE USE". It states in here that you need to drive the car at least 6,000 miles per rolling 12 months. If not, they highly recommend using a battery maintainer.

Battery Maintainer...

With my Cayman S literature there was a mail in form to order a Battery Maintainer…not talking about the Maintainer/Charger (this item I understand). I’m sure every other Porsche owner got this as well.

Has anyone used this Maintainer for long-term storage? I don’t know why this item exists; the manual clearly illustrates how to remove the battery for long-term storage.

Is the idea behind this product to save the work and efforts of battery removal and re-installation?

Does anyone use this Maintainer? Have you used for short-term storage (couple of weeks)? Is there a serious battery draw concern if idle for a couple of weeks? Or have you used for long-term winter storage (few months)? For those in the North.

Many questions…I know.

Thanks

Greetings:

I have a 2006 C2S 997 with very low miles and it is a weekend drive only. I was told to do two things by my dealer. 1) Always use a battery charger/maintainer ( trickle charger ) and ALWAYS lock the car. This puts far less drain on the battery. Porsche batteries by the way ( 997 and other newer cars ) are not maintenance free. They need water. It's cheap insurance..ever price a Porsche battery??

Good luck.

Chromedome

The porsche battery maintainer is make by CTEK, you can buy the exact same item from them for half the money porsche ask. try looking on e bay.

I have a 987 also used weekends. The maintainer is worth while as it stops the battery plates sulphating up and prolongs the battery life. You are also always guaranteed a full charged battery when you come to start the car.

• 4 weeks later...
Will any maintainer work/not cause damage? I've seen them for less than 1/2 of what Porsche sells them for. Our dealer said it has to be Porsche.

Thanks

For me it is not worth the potential risk. You can get a Porsche maintainer for about $55. So what if you can get one for 1/2 the price. Like I am going to just plug any old charger into a $67K car! NOT!

Porsche dont make the parts for their cars like Ferrari, they use sub contractors. The PORSCHE battery maintainer is made by CTEK , providing the charger you buy has self cut out and top up trickle charge there should be no issue. since porsche will not give you the spec on their unit , take a look at the CTEK site for the 3600 XS unit (the same device). Just make sure you get something that matches the CTEK spec.

• 2 weeks later...
Porsche dont make the parts for their cars like Ferrari, they use sub contractors. The PORSCHE battery maintainer is made by CTEK , providing the charger you buy has self cut out and top up trickle charge there should be no issue. since porsche will not give you the spec on their unit , take a look at the CTEK site for the 3600 XS unit (the same device). Just make sure you get something that matches the CTEK spec.

I have had great success with the Battery Tender. I have used it for about a year - hooked up the harness to the battery terminals - plug in the charger through the front lid when I'm not going to drive the Cayman for a week or so.

Bob

• 3 months later...

porsche chargers are made by ctek who also supply to ferrari, aston martin and mercedes... buying the ctek one at half the price is not scrimping on quality, just shopping smart by buying the same charger for less

porsche chargers are made by ctek who also supply to ferrari, aston martin and mercedes... buying the ctek one at half the price is not scrimping on quality, just shopping smart by buying the same charger for less

Minny:

I agree wholeheartedly. This is the same issue as buying an O2 sensor from Porsche with the Porsche part number as opposed to buying it for less than 1/2 the price from Bosch, which actually manufactures the O2 sensors that are sold by Porsche.

It just takes some research to buy "smart" as opposed to buying the "marketed" name.

Regards, Maurice.