Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster RS 60 Spyder

Yet another limited edition from Dr Porsche:

RS60 Spyder

Nick this is an impressive car to say the least!!!

Any idea of when it is going to be released in the US or a ballpark of the MSRP

Man...This is the car I want!

March 2008 is the global release date and the only MSRP on the press release is 63,873 Euros , the S base price 53,500 Euros (pre-tax). You can do the sums the base S price in the US is $55,700. My 2008 LE S was $59,900 MSRP. So I would expect this to come in between $62-64K.

RS60 Spyder

Gandrade1, what part impresses you the most? Thanks!

The color combination - Carrera Red on GT Silver is amazing + the details - sport seats with the back in GT silver, silver accents in the inside, roll-bars with red padding and roof matching the interior, sport seats...and the performance goes without saying...

Ah tail lights are also amazing!!!

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

RS60 Spyder

Gandrade1, what part impresses you the most? Thanks!

The color combination - Carrera Red on GT Silver is amazing + the details - sport seats with the back in GT silver, silver accents in the inside, roll-bars with red padding and roof matching the interior, sport seats...and the performance goes without saying...

Ah tail lights are also amazing!!!

Gus

Gus, you just about order this car righ now with a custom order through the dealership. I think you can get just about every option except the 303 HP. You can only get 295 right now. All of the other stuff is ready now.

Gus, you just about order this car righ now with a custom order through the dealership. I think you can get just about every option except the 303 HP. You can only get 295 right now. All of the other stuff is ready now.

Thanks White987S,

I kind of realize that...

However...when any OEM manufacturer packs all the optionals in a car the price tends to be lower than when a customer does so through a custom order...Plus, the limited edition status helps substantially when the time to sell the car comes...Just my 2 cents

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

i have the 2004 550 SE

the package price was significantly cheaper than if you optioned it, there were a few extra HP, and there was a unique color interior and top (at that time, cocoa was unavailable)- exactly like this new model

it was kind of a "last hurrah" for the 986 before they came out with the 987- i wonder if this means a new Boxster or at least a direct injected/facelifted version?

you are kidding yourself, however, if you think the "limited edition" status will make it a lot more desirable or more valuable on resale

compare the production numbers of the "limited edition" to the rest of the model year, the number is about 15-20% i think

so buy the car if you like the color and the options, and if you were going to price a 987S in the approximate price range, i say go for it, but the car is only a little more "special" than all the rest of the 987S built that year (which are already pretty special cars)

just my 2 cents from one of the people who got the 550 SE

aloha

steve

Thanks White987S,

I kind of realize that...

However...when any OEM manufacturer packs all the optionals in a car the price tends to be lower than when a customer does so through a custom order...Plus, the limited edition status helps substantially when the time to sell the car comes...Just my 2 cents

Gus

I don't see the 2004 550 SE's selling at a premium price in the aftermarket. Nor do I expect to see the current Orange Boxsters sell for a price premium in the near aftermarket future.

I'm not selling mine anyhow nor do I expect a premium. I am not one of those lucky aka greedy people who bought a GT3 or GT3 RS and then sold it back to a dealer plus a tidy profit.

You should always buy a Porsche to own and enjoy, speculate on the stock market and not the future resale value of a Porsche.

I don't see the 2004 550 SE's selling at a premium price in the aftermarket. Nor do I expect to see the current Orange Boxsters sell for a price premium in the near aftermarket future.

I'm not selling mine anyhow nor do I expect a premium. I am not one of those lucky aka greedy people who bought a GT3 or GT3 RS and then sold it back to a dealer plus a tidy profit.

You should always buy a Porsche to own and enjoy, speculate on the stock market and not the future resale value of a Porsche.

Right...especulate on the resale value of a new Boxster :lightbulb:

Any car loses 10 to 20% of its value as soon as it is driven out of the dealership...Unless we are talking about rare instances, a Porsche is no exception - it is nearly impossible to make money by buying new and selling used, especially considered how much money we spend maitaining our Porsches appropriately...Trust me I also do it for the pleasure of it.

Anyway, my point was that IMMO it helps to have a desirable model when trying to sell the car - hopefully for an upgrade. It saves some of what for me is still - unfortunately, perhaps - a factor under consideration - $$$.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Unless you are considering buying a 987S and want GT silver and a Red or grey Leather Interior , I cannot see the point in speccing a special edition. It costs more than the standard 987S , so the options are not free , just discounted. In the case of the orange special editions , a lot of the colour options and alcantra are part of the exclusive range , costing more to spec at time of order. In the Uk the RS60 has a premium of about 10k USD or 5K uk pounds , unless you order it in the red colour interior I just dont think it will stand out enough as a special edition to make it worth paying the premium for a number of options you may not want. Certainly the sports exhaust is not the same as the one fitted as an option at the moment , as it has no quiet mode and cannot be switched. The few extra BHP are not likely to make any real world difference in terms of performance either. If the spec fits what you would order as options , then the car makes sense, otherwise buy a standard boxster S and save your money or spec the options that make better sense to you personally. Silver is also one of the most common colours for a boxster.

A new limited edition... How many limited edition boxsters will they make? I gladly purchased an orange Boxster because of the limited availability. I thought this car will someday be worth a lot. Well there goes that... the new limited edition also has the aero kit, and its grey...

Tantrum aside, this new limited edition has a couple more ponies... Here is a question...

The orange Boxster S accelerates to 60 mph in 5.1 secs, as opposed to the regular Boxster S (5.2), the orange S has the sports exhaust, but is listed at the same hp... That said the RS 60 is listed as 303 Hp and has the same acceleration figures as the Orange Boxster S...

Could it be the Orange Boxster S also has 303HP??

If not... how hard can it be to achieve 303 or even 310hp in the Orange Boxster S???

I've just specced one. Over here the RS 60 costs 90,900 euro incl taxes. Same options but normal order would be 103,600 euro. If you're in the market for a 987 S it would definitely worth it to consider a RS 60. Almost sold out over here though.

• 2 months later...
Mine is built and is expected at the dealer by mid March...pictures will be forthcoming upon arrival

You are very lucky. If you like the normal options that are standard on this car and would have ordered them anyway, then the car is a real bargain. Add to that the exclusivity, the potentially significant extra HP, the cool instrument pod and its a no-brainer if you have the money.

Regards,

Alan

Mine is built and is expected at the dealer by mid March...pictures will be forthcoming upon arrival

You did order the red interior and the red top didn't you.... please tell me you didn't go red with black top or the grey version.

Berty987, I agree with a lot of what you stated.

FYI, the PSE on the 987 is in fact switchable.

Its a different exhaust system on the RS60 I beleive , hence its not switchable , and gives more power.

Not sure about power but am sure that it has a switch.

Edited by Nick_USA

You did order the red interior and the red top didn't you.... please tell me you didn't go red with black top or the grey version.

Order is

GT Silver Metallic

V1 Red Top

37 Carrera Red Natural Leather

P12 Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor

P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package

342 Heated Front Seats

573 Automatic Climate Control

680 Bose High End Sound Package

639 Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM

692 Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)

XCZ Sport Shifter

551 Porsche Windstop (Deflector)

CDM Trim Strip Painted Ext Clr

CMC Door Opener Painted Ext. Clr.

P01 Adaptive Sport Seats

My understanding is the RS60 exhaust is not the same as the PSE option and is NOT switchable.

It the RS60's exhaust system that mainly gives the additional 8 bhp, I believe.

Berty987, I agree with a lot of what you stated.

FYI, the PSE on the 987 is in fact switchable.

Its a different exhaust system on the RS60 I beleive , hence its not switchable , and gives more power.

Not sure about power but am sure that it has a switch.