Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight Assembly Removal

Nothing is more frustrating than damaging something when you're working on your car. :angry:

Anyway, 1. I cracked the main, inboard, guiding rail on the headlight assembly while removing. I repaired it with an apoxy, but it didn't hold while I was re-installing. It seems to be alright after re-installation. However, has this happened to anyone else? If so, was it an issue? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to replace the unit.

2. How much should the removal/intall tool rotate when locking the headlight into place? I thought my 996 rotated close to 180 degrees. But, the Cayenne only rotated 45 degrees. It also didn't feel like it "locked" into place.

3. How much does a new headlight assembly cost?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by AVIA8R

the movement to the lock position is very small but there is a perceptible click when it does.

This is the first slider I have heard of so I can't help on the price, perhaps Loren can supply the part numbers.

Nothing is more frustrating than damaging something when you're working on your car. :angry:

Anyway, 1. I cracked the main, inboard, guiding rail on the headlight assembly while removing. I repaired it with an apoxy, but it didn't hold while I was re-installing. It seems to be alright after re-installation. However, has this happened to anyone else? If so, was it an issue? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to replace the unit.

2. How much should the removal/intall tool rotate when locking the headlight into place? I thought my 996 rotated close to 180 degrees. But, the Cayenne only rotated 45 degrees. It also didn't feel like it "locked" into place.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for any help!

Did you just break the little guide fin, or is it the whole rail?

I broke just the taller guide fin. The large one that's on the in-board.

I must be crazy. I thought it about this thing all night on Friday. The fact that I broke that fin and that I put a few scratches on the lens drove me crazy (I know better, I should have been more careful). I ended up buying a new unit from Sunset for just under $500.

I've had stuff happen like this before. I do some small damage to a car. Something that doesn't hamper usage. But, it bugs me ever time I look at it for the entire time that I own it. So, instead I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. The old one is still very usable and the scratches are small. I'll probubly buy the old one on Ebay with photos of the small damage to recoup a few bucks.

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't know what I would do without this site. It's saved me much time, energy and money. All of you are great!!!

Matt

I must be crazy. I thought it about this thing all night on Friday. The fact that I broke that fin and that I put a few scratches on the lens drove me crazy (I know better, I should have been more careful). I ended up buying a new unit from Sunset for just under $500.

I've had stuff happen like this before. I do some small damage to a car. Something that doesn't hamper usage. But, it bugs me ever time I look at it for the entire time that I own it. So, instead I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. The old one is still very usable and the scratches are small. I'll probubly buy the old one on Ebay with photos of the small damage to recoup a few bucks.

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't know what I would do without this site. It's saved me much time, energy and money. All of you are great!!!

Matt

I know how you feel. I also hate to break something, even minor like that. I actually broke the same fin while changing one of my side marker bulbs. I put the headlight assembly back in place, and it seems stable so I left it. I haven't had a problem.

I also have a Crystal Silver Cayenne. I'd love to see a photo with the new red badge. I saw a Cayenne in Munich, Germany last month that had a Porsche crest on the rear hatch instead of a Cayenne badge. I thought it looked awesome. I don't know if this was a modification or if this is how it is done in Germany, but it looked really good. Another option to consider.

Matt

I know how you feel. I also hate to break something, even minor like that. I actually broke the same fin while changing one of my side marker bulbs. I put the headlight assembly back in place, and it seems stable so I left it. I haven't had a problem.

I also have a Crystal Silver Cayenne. I'd love to see a photo with the new red badge. I saw a Cayenne in Munich, Germany last month that had a Porsche crest on the rear hatch instead of a Cayenne badge. I thought it looked awesome. I don't know if this was a modification or if this is how it is done in Germany, but it looked really good. Another option to consider.

I have lost a headlamp on the highway totaly gone destroyed HID and all cost 720 for the lamp assembly and 160 for my HID :(

Matt

Ouch! What error message did you receive when the headlight assembly fell out???

I have lost a headlamp on the highway totaly gone destroyed HID and all cost 720 for the lamp assembly and 160 for my HID :(

• 2 months later...
I'm glad I read this forum! I could not figure out why my headlights kept turning off when I went over bumps and stopped abruptly? Turns out my headlights were not locked in place....I was close to losing mine too:>

Yes use a wrench it locks more secure with that

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Porsche headlight removal and bulb replacement is covered in the Owner's Manual.

The post above has had the link removed as it was purely commercial.

If you are unsure, please re-read the board Guidelines/Rules.

"No commercial posting, signatures, or profile statements (including images) are allowed. Please understand "advertisements" will be either edited or deleted, as it's neither "fair" to those who support this site - nor "us", the RennTech.org community."

• 4 months later...

First post for this guy. Loving these forums so far.

About removing/replacing headlights. Once they are removed/replaced will they need to be aimed or are these "guide rails" designed to keep original aiming while removing and then replacing the light cluster? I ask because I took a rock to the front turn signal cover on my newly purchased 08 Cayenne S (w/ the xenons if it matters for my question) and it put a nice little hole in it. I might try the plastic repair kit I have from other fixes on previous vehicles (works good) or might just replace the cover itself. But yea.....w/xenons will I need to re-aim or worry about that if I remove/replace the headlights to fix the turn signal cover?

Thanks.

No need to re-aim, the rails are locked

First post for this guy. Loving these forums so far.

About removing/replacing headlights. Once they are removed/replaced will they need to be aimed or are these "guide rails" designed to keep original aiming while removing and then replacing the light cluster? I ask because I took a rock to the front turn signal cover on my newly purchased 08 Cayenne S (w/ the xenons if it matters for my question) and it put a nice little hole in it. I might try the plastic repair kit I have from other fixes on previous vehicles (works good) or might just replace the cover itself. But yea.....w/xenons will I need to re-aim or worry about that if I remove/replace the headlights to fix the turn signal cover?

Thanks.

There is a very noticeable "pop" when you have successfully secured the assembly. There is a significant amount of resistance too, so don't be afraid if you need to add more torque than expected. I didn't have a meter handy, but I can say it was less than I use to tighten a lug nut on the wheels, but more than I use to open a jar of jelly. (I know that's a pretty unmeasurable amount, but you get the general idea of torque needed).