Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood Release With Flat Battery

Hi

Please can you help me with regard to the above matter.

I have a rhd boxster and sadly my battery has gone flat. The window regulator cable snapped so the car was in the garage whilst a new one was ordered, when I went to fit it the car wouldn't start.

I assume the cable is still on the drivers side of he car even though it's a rhd as this is where the hood release buttons are? the only cable I can feel coming from the cab is solid i.e not flexible and seems molded to the required shape so I cannot pull it through the liner.

I can't even take the wheel off as the locking key is in the hood.

I have tried the battery connected to the fuse but this only sets the alarm off, the key and the hood release do nothing.

Thanks

Carl

The pet on line shows the wire going to the right hand side ofa UK car, page 202 https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...986_KATALOG.pdf . It's a small wire with a loop on the end, silver-al colored. Usually the front of the wheel well liner has to be peeled back and then look inside with a light and find it. If you have not owned the car new you might check the toe-hook opening in the front bumper, some people reroute the cable to right behind the cicular plastic plug on the right hand side of the bumper.

• Moderators

Your profile says you have a 2001, so you have the electric trunk release buttons in the door sill. Which means you have the red thing in the fuse box you pull out and attach 12 volts positive to the red thing, such as from a spare battery and jumper cables. Negative from the spare battery goes to the door striker.

On the back of your fuse cover is a paper diagram that shows how to do this. You can also download the 2003 owners manual on this site that shows you how to do it. The 2001 manual is not on this site, but 2001 is the same as 2003.

The manual says you need to switch off the alarm by locking and unlocking the door with the key in the door lock.

I am in the US and assume it is the same for a UK car. UK cars have an alarm siren, that we do not have in the US. If you disconnect the car battery without first turning the ignition key to the on position, then the siren will go off. I mention it in case you want to remove the car battery for charging or replacement.

Hi

I just managed to open the hood!!! I couldn't see or feel the wire loop through the wheel arch so had a look underneath and there it was, I could just squeeze my hand through the underside hole in the bumber to reach it, gave it a tug and it opened.

I read several reports online about using the fuse and door catch/hinge etc but I could get none of them to work, the car alarm went off but no matter what I did with the key fob nothing would stop the alarm or open the hood.

This whole issue started because the window regulator died hence I didn't use the car for a week, hopefully the worse is over and the window regulator will be an easy fix.

Thanks for your help, would still be struggling if it wasn't for PDF PET thing

Carl

:renntech:

Hi

I recently had a few issues with my Boxster, first off the window regulator died, whilst this was on order the car was left in my garage for a week or 2 without any use, when I went to fit the new part the battery had was so flat I couldn't even open the hood to access the battery, after a lot of searching I found the emergency release cable and gained access to the battery, charged it up and then was able to refit the window regulator hence all is good in the world. NO!

I am now unable to lock or unlock the car via the key fob? I first thought the battery in the key may be low so have replaced it but this has had no effect? I guess this means the alarm isn't working either?

Has anyone else had this issue? I am unsure if it's to do with the cars flat battery or not, after saving the money by fitting the regulator myself I really don't want to go to Porsche.

Please HELP

Carl

• Moderators

Probably the remote system in sleeping mode, after approx. 6 days the system is cut out automatically. Enter the key in the ignition lock and turn the key to the ignition on possition while pushing the lock/unlock button on the remote control for a few seconds. Try to lock/unlock the door with the remote. Rapport back for follow up.

Probably the remote system in sleeping mode, after approx. 6 days the system is cut out automatically. Enter the key in the ignition lock and turn the key to the ignition on possition while pushing the lock/unlock button on the remote control for a few seconds. Try to lock/unlock the door with the remote. Rapport back for follow up.

Hi RFM

Thanks for your post, I just tried that but it made no difference! I have left the car previously for a week or so and the remote locking had gone into sleep mode however all service usually returns as soon as you insert the key into the ignition.

I was wondering if it could be a fuse?

Carl

• Moderators

A blown fuse is possible, check the fuses on the foot area left side and the fuse on the rear side of the alarm control box located under the left seat ( for LHD cars ). Look also if the led is blinking in the remote when the lock/unlock button is activated.

I 'm wondering if your interior lights are working? If not most likely its the fuse.

Hi

The interior lights are working and yes the light on the keyfob still flashes. I checked every fuse in the fuse box by the drivers side footwell and all ok. There are 3 fuses listed as central locking/alarm and when I removed Row C number 3 the alarm went off so it still works, none of the others set it off though.

How do I get to the other fuses under the seat?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Carl

Edited by car1tb

I 'm wondering if your interior lights are working? If not most likely its the fuse.

Hi

The interior lights are working and yes the light on the keyfob still flashes. I checked every fuse in the fuse box by the drivers side footwell and all ok. There are 3 fuses listed as central locking/alarm and when I removed Row C number 3 the alarm went off so it still works, none of the others set it off though.

How do I get to the other fuses under the seat?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Carl

Carl:

There is only one fuse under the seat. It is a 15 Amp fuse and it is located in the back of the central alarm control unit, under the driver's (left) seat in U.S. cars.

Go to this link for instructions on how to remove the seat by Chris in NH and a photo of the alarm control unit under the seat by Tool Pants:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...arm++fuse++back

One more thing. To avoid getting an airbag light, make sure that the ignition is turned off and that the key is out of the ignition before you disconnect the electrical connector under the seat and that everything is back together before you put the key in the ignition again. If you don't follow this caution, your airbag light will come on and can only be reset with a Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS.

Note that it is possible to leave the electrical connector connected under the seat and to still be able to access the fuse on the back of the control unit under the seat by undoing the 4 bolts that hold the seat rails down and moving it aside.

Regards, Maurice.

I am now unable to lock or unlock the car via the key fob? I first thought the battery in the key may be low so have replaced it but this has had no effect? I guess this means the alarm isn't working either?

I suspect the reason is because the alarm control unit needs to be resync'd with the key fob once again. I do not have the information to hand, but it has been covered here in the past.

IIRC, it involved inserting the key into the ignition, turning one position and holding down the remote button on the fob for a few seconds.

Pop

Ps: Just to add that the fact the alarm triggers means that the CU is working fine.

Edited by Popolou

Yup good pointer there Maurice mentioned. I would check the fuse under the seat first,,,

I just did one the other day, usually 9mm? socket will work .if u aint got no torx socket.

I usually leave the seat in the car, just fold it then tilt the back. U will be able to access the alarm module.

• 4 weeks later...

i think we are talking about 2 different cables here. I know many of us has experienced & there are a few methods out there,,, I don't know about many of U out there but I can't never find the emergency cable on mine.

So the easiest way for me is what car1tb mentioned - steer all the way to the left, stick ur right hand into the left fender(US driver'side, pull the quarter inch cable inside the fenderwell.

Hey guys, just had the beeping horn issue and the key in door did nothing, nor did putting key in ignition and turning to on ans pressing alarm, ut my battery was totally dead, window not eben moving. With the battery charger engaged properly, I tried key again, no change, I then removed key from door while alarm was going off, put key in ignition and turned it. I might have pressed alarm button too, ut I can't think with that stupid horn blasting in my gagrage...lol The alarm turned off and I could open the front latch. Yeah. Hope this helps