Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

18 inch or 19 inch on my 01 boxster S?

hey guys,

need a quick tip on this. should i put an 18 or a 19 on my boxster S?

I am the type who wants my car to look good but not sacrificing very very much on comfort. we all know the pain of hitting a pot hole with the biggest size of rims on our cars dont we. to make matters worse, our car weight is just too much for the rim and the bearing or shocks.

whatever the inch suggested, should i change the stock suspension/spring and what brand?

i'm sure this tpic has been discussed before but cant find it yet.

share ur experience.

thanks guys ... gals

I have 19" Carrera Classics and love the look, ride and handeling. Easier to clean too, since my hand can reach the entire barrel.

One thing to consider is that there are many more available tire selections, and less co$t, in the 18" size vs the 19"s. Something to consider.

I have 19" on my 2000 Boxster S. I would never consider anything less. The ride isn't much more harsh than with my 17" on winters, but the car does tend to track a little more in road ruts. My 19's do weigh quite a bit, but I'm not exactly on the 1/4 mile track.

I bought mine for around $2000 for the set with rubber from wheel dynamics in LA. The service, price and fit was awsome! I had to use 5mm wheel spacers for the rear which they threw in for free. They even shipped to western Canada in less than a week for under $200

http://wheeldynamics.net/Wheels.html

post-18000-1206636130_thumb.jpg

post-18000-1206636141_thumb.jpg

How rough are your roads?

The more tire and the less wheel the more cushion between the road bump and the wheel. Thus more comfort and less likely to bend that expensive wheel.

In an area with few potholes, maybe the 19s. But get on roads that can have big potholes and you are asking for trouble.

Posted as one who had to get 3 wheels straightened the other week.

Mike

This is Canada......home of the pothole! The frost that we get in winter destroys all roads! I do think the 19's run quite a bit harsher than the factory 17's, but I have no experience running 18's. While I sacrifice the ride for the looks, the 19's have no roll whatsoever in corners. How did you possibly bend three wheels? Baja 500?

To each their own....18's, 19's PLEASE JUST NOT WEINER 17's! (unless it's winter)

Happy Motoring!

man ashleyisagirlsname,

your baby looks great!. is it basalt black?

assuming i dont use my boxster very often (6000km a year). how often to i need to straighten my wheels in 'pothole land'?

from the description, i guess you have not had of your 19s bent. u use your boxster very little?

19's don't affect my speedometer, rolling radius is the same. I use my Boxster as a daily driver, winter and all, putting on about 15,000kms/year. I can't believe some people don't drive these cars in the winter. With my Yokohama winter tires (and NO PSM), mine is a great all seaon car. I love the guys in my city who are rockin' their Turbo's and C4S's all year around, the cars are built in Germany to do just that. I've never bent a rim to date....and yes my car is basalt black, although I'm hoping my next one will be white (easy to keep clean), Jmatta your car looks great! Springs do the car a world of justice. I'm digging the silver engine intake grills.....

Had a can of Arctic Silver spray paint from "Paintscratch"...clear coated over the spray and re-installed. I think it gives a subtle contrast. I have to agree; 17s are too small for the Boxster. I had considered 19s, but settled on 18s. Your's look very good. The funny part is, my car actually rides better, though firm, than the stock setup (car originally came with 17s). But compared to my 911 with a track suspension, anything feels better on the street!

post-10990-1206800998_thumb.jpg

i had 19s on my 986 and for the most part, the ride was terrible. some parts of certain fwys would produce a horrible cowl shake. i had them on the car for about 2000 miles and then took them off. tires were new, size 225/275. i've gone back to lightweight 10-spoke 17" carrera wheels and put the 19s on my 996 C4S with wider tires, 235/295. the 911 rides fine with the 19s, the tire width and profile are the same as stock 18s, so the speedo is a bit off and the car sits higher by a half an inch. getting back to the boxster, i would only go to 18s and not 19s.