Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

water leaks into rear storage compartment

Anyone else having this problem? I get water almost every time it rains or wash the car dripping inside the drivers side rear storage compartment. At first I thought it was the rear window. Its not as I water tested it with a garden hose and it wouldnt leak. Finally I brought it into the dealership and they said it was a clogged drain. So they cleared it claiming it really wasnt something I could do myself. It seemed to be ok for about a year. It happened again and after taking it back this last time it still leaks. Every time it rains even if the car isnt driven. In fact the car has been sitting unused because I just got out of surgery. So it sat for weeks getting rained on. Is there a drain from the roof that can get clogged? If so shouldnt it be fairly easy to blow clear with compressed air? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Thanks Loren....I figured those drains to be where your pics indicate....question is how do I get at them to either check for poor fitting connections or simply to blow them out....Cant see where the tube exits the car. Shouldnt it be in the rear wheel well? Even if its clogged wouldnt the water just remain in the roof rail slots and simply not flow down the tube? I have a feeling its just a matter of poor connections and they are leaking. How do I get at them?

Thanks again

Joe

• 1 month later...

Joe,

I just had a similar issue. I had this problem after rain or a carwash. I thought it might have been the roof rail. I took it off cleaned it & sealed the screws with silicone,no fix. I thought maybe the sunroof but the leak was so far back the position didn't make sense. I decided to pull the headliner and replace the rear hatch shock and find the leak. I found it, it was the sunroof drain tube connection at the left rear of the sunroof. Fixed the connection with silicone, no leak! I hope this helps!

Craig

Anyone else having this problem? I get water almost every time it rains or wash the car dripping inside the drivers side rear storage compartment. At first I thought it was the rear window. Its not as I water tested it with a garden hose and it wouldnt leak. Finally I brought it into the dealership and they said it was a clogged drain. So they cleared it claiming it really wasnt something I could do myself. It seemed to be ok for about a year. It happened again and after taking it back this last time it still leaks. Every time it rains even if the car isnt driven. In fact the car has been sitting unused because I just got out of surgery. So it sat for weeks getting rained on. Is there a drain from the roof that can get clogged? If so shouldnt it be fairly easy to blow clear with compressed air? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe,

You have to remove the 3 panels at the rear opening, take the drivers side rear grab handle off and loosen the B (middle pillar seatbelt) cover. You can then access the drip tube by lowering the headliner 4-5 inches and work on it where the left rear door opening meets the roof. Mine was leaking where the drip tube attched to the sunroof drain at the left rear of the sunroof. Take your time removing the initial three panels. It will feel like you are breaking them but they will pull off. Ease the clips out with a long pry bar. The clips sometimes separate from the panel and end up in the roof. I removed these with a 90 degree bent tip needle nose plyers. Regular needle nose might work also. Good luck!

Craig

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it!....Thanks Craig...it is a lousy connection right at the drain...sort of a loose ball joint affair...very sloppy...just pulled it off and wiped a little silicone sealant on the ball and popped the blue tube back on...over a week now..no sign of leakage....a bit of work pulling those panels off...gotta be careful when the clips pop out of the plastic and stay in the body metal...had to use a flat wonderbar nail puller at each clip location...made it easier...hope this helps anyone else with this problem...hope I dont get the problem on the other side now

• 1 year later...

I just had a similar experience on both rear drains on mine. The dealer claimed the same "clogging" but mine were where the connectors attached to the hoses themselves and not the ball part coming off of the rail assembly. Here's a pic of where I had to apply silicone.

post-35813-1256254647_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Just like the post # 8 above indicates , I followed the directions as instructed on my Gen 1,  and I was able to lower the headliner enough to reach in and remove the drain line from the ball joint connector .. then I reached back in and cleaned and put a good film of silicone around the ball connector and reattached the drain line onto the connector and Volia !! no more water leak. This is one of those jobs that takes more time to carefully remove the panels to get to the drain connector than the actual job to repair itself. Took me 2hrs .. not a difficult job just one where some care needs to be taken to not break the panel clips. If you peek in behind the panel before reefing on it to remove ...you can see and detach the clips with a good set of long needle nose pliers and release the tension on each clip as the panel in being removed. Thanks for the Help ... Excellent repair procedure above !! :notworthy:

• 4 months later...

I am now. In the drivers rear. Peeked up there tonight and man my roof rack looks like ****. Needs some love. Dunno on that one. Wax maybe with Collinite metal polish. Front two holes in rack are rusty and funky looking and have no rubber plugs in them. I take it the roof rack is concealing these drains? I was thinking of using compressor air and a long tube to deliver a blast.....