Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Diverter Valves or a Blow off valve?

I was just about to order a pair of Forge diverter valves for my 2002 996 TT when I came accross an ad for an Agency Power blow off valve. It seems to accomplish the same thing as the diverter valves, but by a different method. In my research, I dicovered that people often change thier diverter valves, not because they've failed, but to prevent potential damage to the turbo if they do disintegrate. My questions - Does anyone have any experience with these blow off valves? If I install the blow off valve, should I replace the DVs anyway, or does the BOV take the place of the DVs? Thanks!

Edited by waymegelli

• 1 month later...

Diverter Valves and blow off valves are the same. I believe the only difference with tha Agency Power is that their blow off valves/DV is they divert the air to atmosphere as opposed to blowing back into the intake. This valves are the ones that give of the swoosh sound when you shift. I personaly like the ones that flow air back into the intake. On my other turbo charged cars I have the purge to atmosphere type BOV.

Ed C.

Wm, did you ever replace the diverter valves? Seems I need to replace mine. Bought the Forge also.

Thanks,

I haven't replaced the DVs yet, but that's my next step. I installed a Europipe exhaust and just did the Softronic chip last night. I makes quite a difference! I want to do a 60-130 run before I tear the car up to put in the DVs. Ask me in about a week and I'll tell you how difficult - or easy - it is. Here's a question for you - which spring do you intend to use? My Forges came with three springs and two spacer plates. The instructions on the Vivid site explain the differences, but don't make any recommendations. I'd hate to install one type and then decide to change it to another - I don't think changing springs will be any easier than doing the install.

Diverter Valves and blow off valves are the same. I believe the only difference with tha Agency Power is that their blow off valves/DV is they divert the air to atmosphere as opposed to blowing back into the intake.

So how are they the same? They both perform similar duties in that they prevent damage to the the compressor. The BOV exhausts to atmosphere where as the DV recirculates the charge. Bosch programming is not set-up for BOVs (the car will run rich).

Diverter Valves and blow off valves are the same. I believe the only difference with tha Agency Power is that their blow off valves/DV is they divert the air to atmosphere as opposed to blowing back into the intake.

So how are they the same? They both perform similar duties in that they prevent damage to the the compressor. The BOV exhausts to atmosphere where as the DV recirculates the charge. Bosch programming is not set-up for BOVs (the car will run rich).

What hes saying is they perform the same function. The only different is where they send the excess air. The stock valves do fail a lot but they definitely dont send junk into the turbo. The stock piece is a simple valve with the vacuum diaphragm that tends to crack internally and therefore leak vacuum. There is an updated part that has proved much more robust.

Edited by PTEC

I replaced the stock DV's with the Forge ones but unfortunately, it did not fix the problem - hesitation post turbo engagement; the car lurches for a minute or so after a full acceleration. Time for a shop visit.

What hes saying is they perform the same function. The only different is where they send the excess air. The stock valves do fail a lot but they definitely dont send junk into the turbo. The stock piece is a simple valve with the vacuum diaphragm that tends to crack internally and therefore leak vacuum. There is an updated part that has proved much more robust.

The stock valves do fail a lot but they definitely dont send junk into the turbo.

You know this for a fact? I have seen pictures of the damaged compressor after a dv fell apart and went into the compressor.

While I cant say that its never happened, I can say that I've never seen or heard of this happening while working in a shop for since 2003. Having replaced plenty of stock DV's and tearing them apart after they set check engine lights, it would seem very hard to imagine unless you knowingly drove with faulty ones for a long, long time.