Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tipronic Shift Paddles and tiptronic software

My tiptronic´06 C4S has a multifunction steering wheel and I use the sw controls a lot but I would love to have the added fun of changing gears via paddle shifters instead of the +/- buttons on the sw that I cannot use properly, maybe because my hands are too big or I´m too clumsy.

I looked into the aftermarket steering wheel manufactured by Ruf for tiptronic cars and I liked the paddle shifters and the thick rim but I´ll lose the other SW controls.

Does anybody know if there are some aftermarket Shift Paddles that I can add to my car while retaining the OEM steering wheel?

I think that I read somewhere that the 2009 Carrere with PDK transmission will have proper Shift Paddles, if that happen perhaps the OEM multifunction SW for tiptronic cars could be Back Compatible with older tip 997´s.

Does anybody with more experience in the brand think that this could be possible?

The other matter that I wanted to ask is if it’s possible to reprogram the tranny software to always start in first gear from stand still?

I know that this is not too Eco Friendly but I play around a with the car when I use it and I find annoying that the car has to down gear whenever I floor the gas at a stoplight.

Hi,

Getting a tip wheel with paddles is very hard. You would

need to spend all sorts of money for this.

Here is a tip wheel that has different buttons.

Paul

FVD has some great steering wheels (http://www.fvd.us/), but they do cost some dough. I have their paddle shifter wheel and love it. I do not know if they make a multifunction steering wheel with paddles as well.

Wow, I´d checked the FVD site to look for the steering wheel of my dreams and I saw one with paddle shifters but I did´t noticed one (the most expensive, by the way) with paddle shifter and multifunction buttons. The one they have listed has a leather/carbon fiber combination, I´m going to check If they have one in only leather or leather/alcantara combination.

Thanks for your reply, now I just have to look for a transmission software Patch.

post-31465-1211907977_thumb.jpg

Wow, I´d checked the FVD site to look for the steering wheel of my dreams and I saw one with paddle shifters but I did´t noticed one (the most expensive, by the way) with paddle shifter and multifunction buttons. The one they have listed has a leather/carbon fiber combination, I´m going to check If they have one in only leather or leather/alcantara combination.

Thanks for your reply, now I just have to look for a transmission software Patch.

Excellent!. If anyone made the wheel you are looking for - it would be FVD. Like I wrote before, I love my FVD paddle shifter. Although I do hit the horn button whilst changing gears sometimes. I'm not sure what patch you are writing about, but my install was a complete drop-in - no software changes at all.

What I was talking about is that I´m looking for some kind of transmission software patch to make the tranny start in first gear from stand still all the time, without having to floor the gas or downshift by hand.

What I was talking about is that I´m looking for some kind of transmission software patch to make the tranny start in first gear from stand still all the time, without having to floor the gas or downshift by hand.

Oh, i understand. I'm not sure anyone messes with the TCU. I just stay in manual mode with my tip and downshift, if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the PDK equipped new 997 steering wheel has a new design, to change gears you have to push to upshift and pull to downshift, I´m sure this configuration is going to work much better than the current tiptronic steering buttons.

I´m going to wait and check if the new steering wheel is back-compatible to my first gen 997 tip and if it is I going to put one in my car.

The new wheels are also beautiful as well, I was about to purchase a set of RUF wheels for my car, now I´m not so sure, maybe I like the new wheels better.

post-31465-1212790541_thumb.jpg

post-31465-1212791001_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I think I saw some posts somewhere saying that the PDK steering wheel will not work on Tiptronic cars, is this true? Either the normal new button shift or paddle shift steering wheels for PDK are nice.

My gen 1 997 multi-function steering wheel's shift buttons are almost impossible to use. It will make me a much happier person to either have the PDK button or paddle shift steering wheel on my car.

Please advise if you have any info, I am searching and if I find something, I will post here....

Edited by eso1968