Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2006 Cayenne Turbo - Rough Idle?

Greetings,

I'm considering buying a 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 27k miles. I've been test driving it for a couple days and I've noticed what sounds like a slight rattle while idling. You can barely hear it when inside the vehicle (and at a standstill), but when I open the hood, it's definitely more pronounced. I have never owned/driven a Porsche before (hell, even a car nearly this fast) so I don't know if this is something that is natural on such a high-powered engine, I don't really know enough about cars internally to even begin to diagnose it (and the engine compartment is so well covered, you can't really even see anything).

The sound *appears* to be originating where the black tubes criss-cross (I know how ignorant I must sound!) in the center of the engine area.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Sounds like the ever popular ignition coil problem. If this TT is being offered at a Porsche dealership, I'd inquire about the coils. Specifically, has it had the coils replaced, and if so, what part number did they use? If the coils have been replaced, you may still have the check to see if any are currently cracked.

There are many posts/threads on this issue and any Porsche dealer will know what to look for.

Good luck.

I agree with pokerjarvis - Have you dealer inspect the coils and update them per TSB 16/07 2820 Bar Ignition Modules (Coils) -- dated Jul 5, 2007

Thanks everybody. Let's assume it *is* this coil problem to which you're referring, roughly what does this repair cost (assuming they need to be replaced)? Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Thanks again!

Rick

• Admin
I agree with pokerjarvis - Have you dealer inspect the coils and update them per TSB 16/07 2820 Bar Ignition Modules (Coils) -- dated Jul 5, 2007

Thanks everybody. Let's assume it *is* this coil problem to which you're referring, roughly what does this repair cost (assuming they need to be replaced)? Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Thanks again!

Rick

If your car is under warranty (and I would think a MY06 is under warranty) it should be free.

US MSRP on the coil packs is $17.70 each (and you likely need all 8).

If your car is under warranty (and I would think a MY06 is under warranty) it should be free.

US MSRP on the coil packs is $17.70 each (and you likely need all 8).

Great, thanks again. Last question, and this is really what's been concerning me about this particular Cayenne -- it has a GIAC chip in it. The person selling it to me (and this is co-worker of mine so I'm not too concerned) has claimed that this chip will only void the warranty if they can show that it specifically is to blame for whatever it is that is malfunctioning. Knowing warranties in general and the way most car companies do business, I find this hard to believe -- I feel like if they know this chip is in there, they can pretty much say it caused just about any damage (that would ordinarily be covered under warranty). I have to imagine the burden of proof would be on ME (to prove that it WASN'T the cause) and not on them to prove that it was...

He is going to sell it to me for under 50k -- which I think is a great deal for this vehicle (27k miles), but I'm very concerned about the chip. What can I expect if I take it in for service for something like these coils?

Thanks again -- I've never seen a forum with such prompt replies!

Rick

That will depend on the dealer.

If you want to be safe - then have them put the stock program back in the car - at least until the warranty period is over.

So this wouldn't require the removal of the chip -- simply flashing the stock program back on it? (I'm wondering if this is something that will be easy to turn on/off in the future for anything else that might come up that's covered under warranty).

Rick

My first thought was the water pump as well - recently had mine replaced

Your friend is correct they would have to prove it if a problem occurred and they wanted to blame it on the flash but that is not to say Porsche won't do it. GIAC is a great company and would be my choice if I had the cash (flashed several Audi's with GIAC), you also need to find out if you can change programs yourself to stock and back using a tool they provide or a PC. Last where does your friend have it serviced now...has he ever talked with his SA about it? As Loren said all dealers are different...some have no problem with it others do, they will let you know if you ask them.

JR