Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric

amegarth

Hi

I just got a 1997 Boxster with 70k miles, silver with red leather and I love it! . I consider it a classic as it is one of the earliest ones made. July 07 in Stuttgart. Its our first Porsche and we wish we had got one years ago.

I purchased the durametric cable and software and am learning about the car and how to use this tool. I was getting O2 sensor faults so I read as much as I could online and mike.focke's page explaining O2 sensor operation was a great help. I was able to use actual values to watch the readouts of the precats and see that one was dead and the other was very slow so I swapped them with the post cats and found that the post cat ones weren't much better just different, I ordered new sensors. When I install them (still waiting for the Parts) I'll run another test to see what they look like.

My question is what do all the actual values subjects mean? Is there an online source, diagnostic manual that outlines the use of these actual values in tuning and troubleshooting? I have Bentley's manual. I'm a little disappointed Durametric dosen't document this a little better perhaps copyright law prevents it.

Any guidance much appreciated.

regards

Garth Harrington

Silver Star Mountain BC Canada

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered a Durametric also for my 98 Boxster and understand most of the values but not all. Did you find anything that might be a help???

Loren told me there is no "manual" but the OBDII manual for the particular DME in my case the 5.2.2, is a good source of info along with the service manuals. These are available from Sunrise imports. Check out the link at the top of the page, "Porsche parts at dealer cost" they have a good deal on boxster manuals and the 5.2.2 OBD manual.

Garth

BTW I used the Durametric to troubleshoot a check engine light. The codes said all the O2 sensors were faulty, the actual values showed the sensors weren't working as described on one of Mike Focke's webpages, http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/oxygensensors, I tried switching the precat sensors and the aftercat ones and that didn't work, they were just not changing voltage. I replaced all the O2 sensors and the engine likes it! Actual values shows the precats voltage fluctuating as described! I am a happy!

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered a Durametric also for my 98 Boxster and understand most of the values but not all. Did you find anything that might be a help???

Loren told me there is no "manual" but the OBDII manual for the particular DME in my case the 5.2.2, is a good source of info along with the service manuals. These are available from Sunrise imports. Check out the link at the top of the page, "Porsche parts at dealer cost" they have a good deal on boxster manuals and the 5.2.2 OBD manual.

Garth

BTW I used the Durametric to troubleshoot a check engine light. The codes said all the O2 sensors were faulty, the actual values showed the sensors weren't working as described on one of Mike Focke's webpages, http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/oxygensensors, I tried switching the precat sensors and the aftercat ones and that didn't work, they were just not changing voltage. I replaced all the O2 sensors and the engine likes it! Actual values shows the precats voltage fluctuating as described! I am a happy!

I bought this manual on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996...1QQcmdZViewItem

It has all of the Porsche 996 ODBII fault codes.

TDK

Garth

I bought this manual on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996...1QQcmdZViewItem

TDK

That's a good deal!!

I am going to search ebay for an OBD manual for a DME 5.2.2 for my car!

Garth

• Admin

Garth

TDK

That's a good deal!!

I am going to search ebay for an OBD manual for a DME 5.2.2 for my car!

Garth

Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) has it:

WKD 483 821 996 OBD II Manual (DME 5.2.2) Was $895.90 -- Now $55.00

Thanks Loren,

I knew that but Sunrise dosen't like to deal with Canadian sales and wants mailed in copies of my Credit Card and driver's licence so ebay would be much easier. Or someone could scan and post?

I found the manuals online (not as good as Hardcopies which are much easier to use) so now I just need the OBD2 manual.

Garth

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Enthusiast Package, wahoo!! :D

I changed out the battery and now have an "Airbag Failure" light. The night before I ran the passenger seat all the way forward to vacuum under the seat. So not sure what triggered the light. If somehow by running the seat forward I broke a wire or if it had to due with disconnecting the battery.

I changed out the battery and now have an "Airbag Failure" light. The night before I ran the passenger seat all the way forward to vacuum under the seat. So not sure what triggered the light. If somehow by running the seat forward I broke a wire or if it had to due with disconnecting the battery.

The wire harness that runs under the driver's side seat (left side for U.S.) with the large connector for the seat belt/airbag connections is long enough to allow you to unbolt the seat and place the seat next to the car without unplugging the harness. So, I doubt that is what caused it, unless you accidentally pinched a wire by pushing the seat all the way forward.

Regards, Maurice.

The wire harness that runs under the driver's side seat (left side for U.S.) with the large connector for the seat belt/airbag connections is long enough to allow you to unbolt the seat and place the seat next to the car without unplugging the harness. So, I doubt that is what caused it, unless you accidentally pinched a wire by pushing the seat all the way forward.

Regards, Maurice.

I didn't force (or push) anything, both seats are electric and adjusted them that way. I'm just tracing my steps as to what I did before I got the airbag failure light. I'm thinking it had to do with replacing the battery.

Either it'll reset with the software or I'll get a code if something needs to be replaced. I noticed that the wires for the buckles are raped rather tight around the edge of the seat frame. Which over time I would think could create a possible problem of chaffing of the wires by movement or vibrations. Hopefully I can clear the fault and all will be good.

It's a 2002 Boxster S. Been a great car, I have 59,000 miles on her. This is the first fault I've had, so no complaints.

Many thanks for the info Maurice, I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

Cheers,

Keith

Regards, Maurice.

I didn't force (or push) anything, both seats are electric and adjusted them that way. I'm just tracing my steps as to what I did before I got the airbag failure light. I'm thinking it had to do with replacing the battery.

Either it'll reset with the software or I'll get a code if something needs to be replaced. I noticed that the wires for the buckles are raped rather tight around the edge of the seat frame. Which over time I would think could create a possible problem of chaffing of the wires by movement or vibrations. Hopefully I can clear the fault and all will be good.

It's a 2002 Boxster S. Been a great car, I have 59,000 miles on her. This is the first fault I've had, so no complaints.

Many thanks for the info Maurice, I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

Cheers,

Keith

Took about 2 minutes to hook up cable and open software and clear the airbag fault. So far I'm impressed with Durametric Diagnostics and half of it's paid for already by avoiding going to the dealer. :D