Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Central locking problem

Hi Guys

Wonder if anyone can help me? I have a '99 996 cabriolet,I cannot lock or unlock my car with the remote key. It is not the battery as I have changed it. The led on both the key and the receiver unit both flash when the key is pressed but the doors do not lock/unlock. The doors lock/ unlock ok by key.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

mostinpowers

I just wrote this and then saw this posting...

I can lock/unlock from the key and the door switch... Is that it, dealer is the only option?

I wanted to post anyway to see if anyone has any ideas about the alarm issue as well.

Thanks,

G

I have two issue that are some what related but not same cause I'm sure.

When I got the car a year ago the remote entry was intermittent, now it is not, it doesn't work 100% of the time. Tried the battery to no avail. I read the DIY about extending the range and I'm tempted to open up the bundle in the pillar just to try something there. Any ideas, suggestions, gotcha's out there?

Second issue, my alarm goes off randomly when I'm parked in the sun even if the windows and sunroof are cracked. I've had the same problem with Audi's and VW's. Anyone else have this issue? Can I adjust the sensitivity or is this one for the shop?

Thanks,

Gary '99 C2 Coupe

Edited by gary996

check the battery retaining clip on your remote, make sure it is tight.

second issue is prolly caused by a faulty interior compartment contact,,,sounds like hot temp is making it expand.

I just wrote this and then saw this posting...

I can lock/unlock from the key and the door switch... Is that it, dealer is the only option?

I wanted to post anyway to see if anyone has any ideas about the alarm issue as well.

Thanks,

G

I have two issue that are some what related but not same cause I'm sure.

When I got the car a year ago the remote entry was intermittent, now it is not, it doesn't work 100% of the time. Tried the battery to no avail. I read the DIY about extending the range and I'm tempted to open up the bundle in the pillar just to try something there. Any ideas, suggestions, gotcha's out there?

Second issue, my alarm goes off randomly when I'm parked in the sun even if the windows and sunroof are cracked. I've had the same problem with Audi's and VW's. Anyone else have this issue? Can I adjust the sensitivity or is this one for the shop?

Thanks,

Gary '99 C2 Coupe

Hi Guys

Wonder if anyone can help me? I have a '99 996 cabriolet,I cannot lock or unlock my car with the remote key. It is not the battery as I have changed it. The led on both the key and the receiver unit both flash when the key is pressed but the doors do not lock/unlock. The doors lock/ unlock ok by key.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

mostinpowers

I have had the same thing with an Audi in the past.

It is possible that your key has lost synchronization with your car and can be reset by doing the following:

1. Manually unlock your car using the key

2. Open the car door (note if your alarm goes off, put your key in the ignition to stop the alarm.

3. Press the unlock button on your remote and the remote will resynchronize with your car.

Note: If you leave your car locked for more than 5 consecutive days, the car will deactive the remote receiver to reduce battery load and you will be forced to use the procedures listed above to reset it.

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK THEN TRY:

With the Audi, you had to use the lock button held down for about 30seconds maybe a bit longer up to a minute. If held within the range of the car

it would work after that time and re-synchronise itself.

OR

Use the key in the ignition and turn ignition on. Switch off, remove key, then operate key within 6 seconds of removal.

I hope one of those methods may be of use to you.

• 1 month later...

My key stopped unlocking the doors and I went through the steps above. Replacing the battery didn't work until I pressed the retaining clip (the metal part) against the battery. I guess the contact was a little loose. Thanks for the great troubleshooting tips!

• 10 months later...

thanks for the tips on this all. I was able to diagnose and correct the remote key not working on my '99 996.

symptoms i experienced were -

- light on key fob was blinking fast (obviously not battery in key fob)

- replaced battery anyway

- doors would unlock/lock by pressing on dash button (obviously nothing wrong with car electrics)

- tried the above "reset" procedures (key fob still didn't work)

- pulled key apart and pressed on battery whilst deprssing remote button (car unlocked/locked)

- tried to gently bend battery contacts in order to ensure battery was making good contact (had intermittent success)

- wedged a small piece of felt inside the key and closed the key (car now remote locks/unlocks like a charm!)

i think i will try to get a small spring to wedge in the key in place of the felt for a cleaner fix.

thanks to all for your assistance.

Brad

'99 996 Coupe