Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water in the car - need help!

Hello

I just purchased a 1998 Boxster some weeks ago. The last few days has been filled with rain and so i discovered that the floor under the driverside seat was soaked. But also the floor infront of the seat was very wet/soaked.

I discovered some holes in the foam-cover in underneath the clamshell and i used silicone and heavyduty steel based tape to seal them temporarily until i can get the cover changed (i need a garage for that and i dont have access to one yet). So far so good, we had rain this night and the tape and silicone kept the water out.

But i noticed this morning that there was more water under my seat. I dried the most out last night when i applied the silicone and tape but this night we had some heavy rain. There wasnt much water, but a little... can this be water that i did not get out last night that has just appeared during the night?

I also noticed today that my front left (driverside) drainhole was full of crap, no water had any chance of getting through it so i cleaned it out. All my other drainholes works totally fine. Can a clogged front (driverside) drainhole result in water under the driverside seat? If not, then i have no idea where the water could come from... I've read about the foam liner drain tray (water drip pan) in the top, and that i need to check this... But to be honest, i have no idea what it looks like. What am i looking for here? Does anyone have any pictures of the foam liner drain tray?

I'm from Norway, so excuse my bad english. But here in Norway we have some serious heavy rain this time of the year, and i need to get this fixed ASAP because i do not have a garage for my car.

Also, what kind of tool do i need to unscrew the seats? I looked at the screws and they looked like big torx bolts??? I have never seen a torx cup available in any store around here... What can i use to unscrew those four screws so i can get the seat out and atleast cover up the ECU/alarm ECU?

Oh my!!!

You have sealed up the drain holes that remove the water from the rear window area? Don't you think those drain holes were designed by Porsche for a reason?

You have actually compounded your problem by doing this. Those holes are to channel water from the rear window area out of the car. If they become clogged you will have water under your seats! They are most likely clogged to begin with and you have made it worse, or maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

You need to search this wonderful website. This issue has been covered again and again and all the data is here. Go search!

Get the black box under your seat out ASAP or kiss it goodbye!! Take it apart and dry it out.

The bolts are torx head I believe, just 4. You need to slide the seat forward to get at the rear bolts and vice versa for the front.

Do your self a favour, drill some holes in the floor pan under the seat at a lowest point near that black box (slop some primer on the bare metal). Then you do not need to worry about wrecking it (the black box) while you sort out the leaks.

Regards, PK

Oh my!!!

You have sealed up the drain holes that remove the water from the rear window area? Don't you think those drain holes were designed by Porsche for a reason?

You have actually compounded your problem by doing this. Those holes are to channel water from the rear window area out of the car. If they become clogged you will have water under your seats! They are most likely clogged to begin with and you have made it worse, or maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

You need to search this wonderful website. This issue has been covered again and again and all the data is here. Go search!

Hi. No i havent sealed up the drainholes :) It was holes in the fabric (foam) around the drainholes that led right into the cockpit/inner fabric on the car. I have ofcourse not sealed up the drainholes :)

I have checked all the drainholes and they all worked (and still work) fine except the front right drainhole which i unclogged (and checked).

My question was if the front right drainhole was clogged could this result in the right side of the car (driverside) carpet to get wet? The carpet seems just as wet in front of the seat as back behind the seat... So im not sure if the water comes from the front or rear of the car...

And yes, my car is starting all fine... It's been like this a few days now. But i have been drying it out every day with several big cloths and stuff...

But what i really need to know is where the water comes from. If not from a clogged rear drainhole, can the water come from the front (the drainhole was clogged there)? And if not, can someone please explain to me what the foam liner drain tray (water drip pan) looks like in the top/roof? I have no idea what it looks like... Or even better, if someone has a picture of it they could show me so i can find out where the water comes from.

Edited by borgein

If those drain holes are plugged yes you will have much water on the floor under the seat. Depending on the amount of rain it could be very bad and many here have damaged their security computer beyond repair. The front would possibly feel as wet as the back due to osmotic creep in the carpet if it got wet enough.

I have some drain hole issues on a Saab that require a check and clean every couple of months as the car sits outside.

If those drain holes are plugged yes you will have much water on the floor under the seat. Depending on the amount of rain it could be very bad and many here have damaged their security computer beyond repair. The front would possibly feel as wet as the back due to osmotic creep in the carpet if it got wet enough.

I have some drain hole issues on a Saab that require a check and clean every couple of months as the car sits outside.

Ok, thanks :) Hopefully the issue is solved now then. I purchased some torx equipment today so that i can get my seat out, and some zip-lock bags for the computer unit that is under the seat. Sadly it is so dark outside now so i have to wait until tomorrow to take the seat out. But hopefully the leak is fixed so more water will not enter the car... But still, the carpet is very wet and i guess it will take forever for it to dry (and i have no garage, and i have to use the car regularely every day...)

Any tips for getting the carpet dry as fast as possible? Some friends of mine told me to use the Air conditioning constantly because the AC air is much dryer than regular air... Although i guess that alone will make the carpet dry fast..

The logic is correct on the AC comment, but you'll have to drive quite a bit!

If you do not own a small fan, go buy one, run an extension cord...keep your windows cracked all night and keep as much air as you can circulating through the interior. Air flow is the most important aspect of good evaporation.

water tray(water drip pan?) is #1

Hmm, no, that was not what i ment.

i'm quoting this from Mike Focke's site - http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/drainsdiagram :

As far as diagnosing the water leak problem, fill a quart jar with water and put a pan on the ground just forward of each rear wheel to catch the water as you pour it down each drain hole. The drains exit just forward of the rear wheels. If you have a full quart after it all drains out, your problem lies elsewhere than a clogged drain. Be sure to check each foam liner drain tray for any rips or tears, especially in the area directly beneath the V-levers that operate the pushrods of the convertible top. If you ever had one of those pushrods break and the V-lever rotated with the broken pushrod dangling, it will invariably cause a tear in the drain tray that will in turn cause water to leak into the passenger compartment.

You can buy the drain trays separate from Porsche.

Porsche calls them "water drip pan" .

The part numbers are as follows:

986 561 805 03 (Left side)

986 561 806 03 (Right side).

So apparently the water drip pan (in the roof/top) is something else.. Porsche calls them "water drip pan" but people seem to call it foam liner drain tray also and they are supposed to be located in the top/roof itself if i'm not mistaking?

Edited by borgein

This night we had alot of rain here again, and there is definately more water inside the front drivers side floor now (behind the seat and in front of the seat).

I took out the seat today and put the alarm unit in three zip-lock bags, all three sealed with lots and lots of ductape, so i guess that should keep the alarm unit dry. The weird thing though, is that the compartment with the alarm unit was totally dry, but behind and in front of the alarm unit (where the carpet is) is totally soaked.

My problem is that i have no idea where the water comes from. All my drainholes works perfectly (tested on dry concrete and poured water through them all). My top seems fine, no water comes in nowhere as i can see... not by the windows, not in the back, nowhere. But still there is water inside the car that has to come from somewhere! And since it is on the driverside it is not the AC unit/drainhole for the AC unit that is clogged.

Does anyone have any idea? Where is this so called Foam Liner Drain Tray that i am trying to look for? What does it look like, and where in the top is it? Is it the "carpet looking" thing that sits between the bottom of the top and the clamshell? That looks kind of like a raincoat when the top is up that goes around the back of the top?

My english isnt perfect so i might just be misunderstanding what the a foam liner drain tray is.

Just got my new (to me) 1999 Boxster a week ago, and I too discovered the carpet on the drivers side was wet today when I went to install new alu pedals. I found the copmartment on the passenger side of the batery under the hood was flooded. I flushed out the drain hole and now all that water is gone, but I'm not 100% comfortable that this was the issue. The inside was dry on the passenger side. :huh: I hope the car is okey.. I'm still waiting for some papers from Porsche so I can get it approved (I've imported a US car to Norway), so I have not really had a chance to drive it much yet..

Atle

• Moderators

The foam liner/drain tray is under the top. You have already tried to seal the foam liner with tape and silicon. This is a picture of them removed from the car.

Some time ago there was a mssage from someone with a similar problem. The drains under the top were clear and water flowed to the ground, but water still entered the cockpit. Maybe someone can find the message. From what I remember. The drain tube had hole in it.

The drain tubes do not go straight down to the ground. If you shove something down the drain hole, like a coat hanger, you can poke a hole in the tube.

post-4-1220023354_thumb.jpg

The foam liner/drain tray is under the top. You have already tried to seal the foam liner with tape and silicon. This is a picture of them removed from the car.

Some time ago there was a mssage from someone with a similar problem. The drains under the top were clear and water flowed to the ground, but water still entered the cockpit. Maybe someone can find the message. From what I remember. The drain tube had hole in it.

The drain tubes do not go straight down to the ground. If you shove something down the drain hole, like a coat hanger, you can poke a hole in the tube.

Thank you so much for explaining and for the photo!

Yes that is what i used silicone and ductape on. I talked to Autotuning today (Porsche/RUF authorized service shop here in norway) and they also told me to check under the convertible top. I guess i just have to order these new, they wheren't any expensive, just a pain to put them in. Even if there wherent any holes they said that after many years the thing could start deteriorating/molding and cause leaks anyway and they had exchanged many of these and it was the most usual reason for leaks.

The drain tubes... Are they difficult to replace? Sounds like it... They are probably cheap aswell, so ordering them and just changing them at the same time might be a smart thing to do. Does anyone know the part # for the drain tubes?

Hi,

Also check the bottom of your door panels for water. I am experiencing wet carpet and found the base of door panels to be wet. I suspect the vapor barrier needs to be resealed behind the door panel. Check that...

Chris hewett

2000 Boxster

162K miles

Hey CHRIS, your window working ok?

usually water seeps thru the rubber gasket in the door jamb, until they ruin everything.

Hi,

Also check the bottom of your door panels for water. I am experiencing wet carpet and found the base of door panels to be wet. I suspect the vapor barrier needs to be resealed behind the door panel. Check that...

Chris hewett

2000 Boxster

162K miles

Hi,

Chris hewett

2000 Boxster

162K miles

Thanks for pointing that out. But i have checked that and the doorpanels are completely dry.

Thank you so much for explaining and for the photo!

Yes that is what i used silicone and ductape on. I talked to Autotuning today (Porsche/RUF authorized service shop here in norway) and they also told me to check under the convertible top. I guess i just have to order these new, they wheren't any expensive, just a pain to put them in. Even if there wherent any holes they said that after many years the thing could start deteriorating/molding and cause leaks anyway and they had exchanged many of these and it was the most usual reason for leaks.

Hey, that's so funny. :lol: Did you see my post? Guess it was the same Nowegian rain that wet our floors. :) Hope you figure it out.. I'm praying that it was just the flodded compartment under my front boot that was causing my leak. I've ordered a (used) 4-frame top w/window and wonder if what you are undertaking would be a good idea to do at the same time. Let us know what you find out.

A.

Hi,

Don't mean to hijack this thread.. Seems though the symptoms were the same we're experiencing different issues. My leak is through the door, - thank you Chris! I could tell the previous owner has removed the door panel (and broke one of the clips on the bottom - are these replaceable?). Have to take it apart some other day to inspect the seals. Must be something catching the rain and forcing it out the carpet as the drain hole in the door seems to be working fine.

A.

1999 Guards Red/Black Boxster

Edited by atta

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem with water in the cabin, but the cause of mine was from a leaking hardtop. The locator in the hardtop that engages with the top of the windscreen is adjustable, which allowed me to tighten the gap between windscreen top frame and the hardtop. No more water inside. :D Hope this helps.

:renntech:

hi, i have the same problem as you with water coming in the passenger side. At first i thougth it was the foam drip tray at the back but am pretty certain its coming from the front and ending up in the back due to the crazy amounts of rain we get in Scotland. I've also checked the drip tray and drainage holes but to solution. Next step for me is to take the seat out. I've spent hours and hours trying to slove this and has really put a downer on owning the car. When i eventually find out the problem i'll post it. Good luck!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well i've replaced the drain trays and the door seals... Still leaking.

I have no idea where to start. My "Black box" is probably messed up because of this now too. I noticed suddenly after i locked the car that the passenger window had gone down in "top down" position... During the winter, while parking at a roadside parking! not good...

And my central locking/alarm stopped working a while ago. I have to lock the car with the key now (triple turn to the right = one beep, unlock = two beeps). None of my remote keys will work. Suspiciously enough they started to not want to work right after i changed the batteries in the remote keys...

I've had several months of soaked carpet now... Not good i guess. Any ideas? Anyone?

Well i've replaced the drain trays and the door seals... Still leaking.

I have no idea where to start. My "Black box" is probably messed up because of this now too. I noticed suddenly after i locked the car that the passenger window had gone down in "top down" position... During the winter, while parking at a roadside parking! not good...

And my central locking/alarm stopped working a while ago. I have to lock the car with the key now (triple turn to the right = one beep, unlock = two beeps). None of my remote keys will work. Suspiciously enough they started to not want to work right after i changed the batteries in the remote keys...

I've had several months of soaked carpet now... Not good i guess. Any ideas? Anyone?

hi

was wondering if youre not the first owner on the car then maybe the front windscreen was replaced by someone due to crack stone chip etc and the fitter who replaced the screen did not do a good job sealing it when fitting the screen ???

what you need to do is have some one sit inside the car on a dry day and go over certain areas with a hose pipe concentrating on one area at a time and see if you can spot wher the water is comiong in from have a torch inside the carto shine up behind dash etc ....

you might find it has nothing to do with drain holes or any thing else just a bad fitted screen

good luck

cbr786 (UK 996 C4 Cab)

• Upvote 1