Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wet passenger footwell

Hi guys, just noticed ive got a wet carpet in the passenger footwell aswell. Are there any common causes for this? Where is the first place i should look for a leak?

my car : Porsche cayenne 6 cylinder

My 05 cab had that problem a year or so ago. Took it to dealer and they found the drain in the AC evaporator was plugged. Fixed under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Don't know where the drain is, but it took the dealer a bit of time and work to partially disassemble the dash and get it cleared. Had it done under warranty.

After that work was done, a couple of weeks later, I noticed some wet areas underneath the carpet mats - both driver and passenger side. Dried them out, and now watching for it. There was no water on the mats, only under. Mistery so far - has anyone seen anything like that before?

I have a 2004 Cayenne S. Last summer (in North America) after a long freeway drive in very hot sunny (no rain for months) weather the carpet between the driver's seat and door was wet -- soaking wet. And parked in the garage water pooled on the garage floor under the passenger side but not the driver's. Water discharging from the AC drains onto the ground is normal. Took to dealer (CPO) and they said they'd clear-out the vents/drainage. The problem did not return -- I also complained about a super funky mold smell even though I had changed the charcoal interior air filter that summer. (Found the instructions here on Renntech -- super easy.) The dealer said they'd clear it out and add some antiseptic. They did and the smell is better but when switch off/on it's surfaces from time to time.

Now, a year later, hot weather, my wife was driving with sandles on (no socks) and she felt a water dripping on her right foot. I checked it out and found a water-spot under the brake pedal. Not saturated but wet for sure.

So, I will now go back to the dealer next week (still under CPO) and ask them to look it over, again. Will post an update.

We park in a garage so leaves, etc, do not collect on the windshield so I'm not sure what keeps gumming-up the system. I suppose it could be mold which is kind-of disgusting.

• 5 months later...

My passenger side floor, front and back, gets wet as described but only when it rains. Is this the same issue? Is the water getting in from above or splashing up from below. Please help, its smells horrible. Is the drain along the bottom on the side??

Thanks.

The front drains are located in the same area that holds the brake master cylinder and such. There is one left and one right side drain that empties to the rear of the wheel well liner. They are hard to see but just check for standing water in that area. As mentioned above, there are other sources for the water to enter and inspect the condition of the cabin air filter.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

where exactly is the exit of the drain on the passenger side footwell?

do I need to remove the arch liner at the bottom?

I had to deal with this when I bought my Cayenne last year. Water on both front footwells and even flowed to back via the rear floor vents.

There is one screw holding a panel under the glove box. remove that panel (unplug the floorwell light). Then you will see where the AC drain exits under the dash. there will be a rubber collar around the tube where it meets the floorboard. Find something you can run down the tube to remove the blockage. I used a quarter inch wooden dowel. Once the blockage was cleared i never had the issue again. 15 minute job.

Good Luck

• Upvote 2

Hi I was also noticing a wet drivers side flootwell, not during rain. During my trouble shooting I noticed a little water dripping onto the footwell from above, but just a little, and not enough to make the footwell wet. I was worried that a water drain line from the heater/ac unit was leaking and a big job might be required removing the dash and glove box etc. to get at the ac unit. Further troubleshooting revealed that there was some water being pushed out the left rear passenger ac/heater vent at the floor under the drivers seat.

At this point I realized what was happening, and thank goodness it is very simple. The AC water drain was plugged causing the water extracted from the air in the ac/heater unit to backup and for some reason this water was mostly blowing through the left side plastic ac/heater vent lines and leaking at the low point in the drivers footwell with the remainder of the moisture pushing out the vent under the drivers seat. Some have this happen on the passenger side.

The ac/heater water drain is located on the passenger side footwell forward on the firewall. The drain slopes through the firewall and you can see it when you lift the hood and shine a light at the firewall on the passenger side. You can reach for the drain hose. There is a small flap. With my baby finger I lifted the flap and about a pint of water gushed out. Simple as that, plugged ac water drain cleared...no more wet floor.

Cheers Rick

I am able to see the tube. but the tube is a enclosed one, how could you access to the inside of the tube?

do you know where exactly the exit of the drainage hole?

thanks much!

It next to impossible to access from under the truck. I cant remember how I opened up the tube in the car. it was a year ago. I had to peel back the rubber boot around the tube on the floor. It looked intimidating but once i did it it was easy.

You absolutely can reach the ac/heater drain tube on a 2008 V6 Cayenne from the top. Lift the engine hood and reach for the tube which protrudes from the engine firewall ( passenger side top of the footwell ). Use a flashlight to help locate it, then reach for it. I did and the water came gushing out!

Cheers Rick

Today, I found tube is not an enclosed one. there is a soft rubber tube around an inclined hard tube from the top.

I accessed to the opening of the soft tube by slightly bending it.

Then I used a wire to run down the tube (not sure I cleared the blockage or not)

Will observe whether the problem persists or not.....

Just from memory (didn't take any photos) - I seem to recall when changing the HVAC filter that the drain tube is readily available at the top - with a plastic fitting coming out of the evaporator box, and a rubber funnel shaped tube going down through the firewall. Would seem rather easy to clean out from inside the car (you only need to remove one Torx screw to remove the panel under the glovebox..)

That's from memory, so I could be all wet (pun intentional..)

Hi guys, just noticed ive got a wet carpet in the passenger footwell aswell. Are there any common causes for this? Where is the first place i should look for a leak?

my car : Porsche cayenne 6 cylinder

Possible a/c drain, or clogged water drains. A/c drain/line could be pinched, grommet at firewall could be not fitted correctly, if veh is under warranty I would take it to a dealer it's not a fun job. If it is water drains clogged remove front cowl, or just gain access pour some water down into cowl if you see it draining onto floor, no clogged drains(note: should come out at a decent pace not a trickle) if not clean out under cowl, blow compressed air into drains to clear debris then recheck.

Can someone clarify this thread? I'm confused. I have the same issue on my 04 CS Driver's side. I called dealer to ask and they said its the AC drains and is accessed from under vehicle. I assumed its the rubber nipple-like drain so i ran a coat hanger up there and got nothing.

What is the drain mentioned above regarding the engine bay/firewall? Everywhere I look I get a different story.

TIA!

Can someone clarify this thread? I'm confused. I have the same issue on my 04 CS Driver's side. I called dealer to ask and they said its the AC drains and is accessed from under vehicle. I assumed its the rubber nipple-like drain so i ran a coat hanger up there and got nothing.

What is the drain mentioned above regarding the engine bay/firewall? Everywhere I look I get a different story.

TIA!

As far as I know (and thats not terribly far so don't take it as gospel) - the AC evaporator (which makes the water that needs draining) is on the right side of the transmission hump... as is the drain.

There may be a cowl (the plastic bit below the windshield with an air intake grille in it) drain on the left side, but I can't imagine it running through the passenger compartment. Might be a sunroof drain that if plugged will overflow and run down into the passenger compartment (very common on BMWs that have a very similar sunroof.. cure is push weed-wacker line through the drain..)

Also - FWIW - I spent some quality time with my CS over the weekend, picking munge (leaves, twigs, those dangly things oak trees send out in great abundance this time of year) out from around the hinges on the hood. Turns out there is a sort of recess that the hood hinges pivot in, and mine (both sides) was full of this crap in various stages of decomposition.

I started out with a long needle nose pliers, grabbing and yanking, next came a set of forceps (getting deeper in) and finally a needle hose nozzle on my airgun off my compressor, seemed to blow the final layer out. There was a LOT of this crap. I was concerned about it plugging up any drains that happen to be in that area, and with it causing corrosion or rust since it traps moisture.

It was a semi-satisfying job, I knew it was done (satisfying), but couldn't see anything new on the CS (semi-satisfying..)

I'm definitely going to check other drains as s preventative measure.

Regarding my issue, it only happens when the AC is on and comes out on the driver side by the gas pedal

Just for info - I have had to unblock the drain plugs under the front wheel arches every winter (2003 turbo) due to leaves etc, this year I cut the drain plugs in half to allow larger object to get out and so far no problem.

Edited by LCE

I couldn't get a thing out of them. They seemed totally clear. Which is why I'm confused about this thread topic...what are these particular drains for? I'm trying to clear whatever drain is causing water to dump in my driver's side footwell when the AC is running on hot days