Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instrument Cluster LCD not illuminated in 986

• 6 months later...

The digital readout on the center gauge of my '99 Boxster was not illuminated (rather it was very faint). Took it to the dealer, he banged on the top of the cluster with his fist, and it started working again. He told me that this is a common problem with Porsches were the LCD "wears out" and that I would eventually need a whole new instrument cluster.

After reading some posting here, it sounds like individual bulbs can be replaced to solve my problem. Is this true because bulbs will be a heck of lot cheaper than the whole instrument cluster.

Thanks.

Let me clarify, this is the speed and temperature LCD display on the bottom of the tackometer gauge.

This is NOT the row of status lights below the three instrument gauges.

I would be surpirsed if the LCD display could be controlled by a single bulb.

Are you sure it is an LCD problem and not one of the backlight bulbs?

I am having a similar problem where the SPEED and TEMPERATURE LCD display is very faint. If I hit the top of the dash with my fist, the display will come back to normal intensity.

Is there a single bulb that is used to illuminate this part of the LCD display?

ps. Dealer suggested I need a whole new instrument cluster.

Thanks.

Tim,

There are 3 bulbs that supply backlighting to the display on the ic. Using a flashlight shine it into the area of display and you should be able to read the lcd's and shows you that the display is still working and that backlighting is out. Many times when removing the cluster those bulbs burn out and need replacing, so order more than one before removing the cluster. I always forget which bulb is the correct one when looking at parts catalog but I think it is 999-631-303-90 (1.5 watt) The other choice is 999-631-302-90 (1.2 watt). svansyoc

Tim,

There are 3 bulbs that supply backlighting to the display on the ic. Using a flashlight shine it into the area of display and you should be able to read the lcd's and shows you that the display is still working and that backlighting is out. Many times when removing the cluster those bulbs burn out and need replacing, so order more than one before removing the cluster. I always forget which bulb is the correct one when looking at parts catalog but I think it is 999-631-303-90 (1.5 watt) The other choice is 999-631-302-90 (1.2 watt). svansyoc

Thanks.

I spoke to the Porsche service department again this morning, and they stated that they did not know anything about just replacing a bulb to fix this problem (but then again why should they when they can charge me 100's of $$ to instead of replacing a $10 bulb).

Each of th 3 LCDs has its own bulb.

Thanks. I mentioned replacing the bulb to the Porsche service department, and they acted like they never heard of such a thing (they suggested replacing the entire instrument cluster).

Any ideas as to why the bulb would be intermittent. The display has not been illuminated three different times now after I start the car (in a timeframe of 24 hours). If I hit the top of the dash with my fist, the LCD becomes illuminated. Appears as if it might be a loose connection rather than a bad bulb?

• Moderators

1997-2000 used bulbs. 2001-2004 used leds. You service guy may not be up on the old cars.

Hitting the top of the instrument cluster sometimes makes it work if the bulbi is not burned out. You can clean the contacts for the bulb, but since you have to remove the cluster to do this you might as well replace them at he same time.

The replacement bulbs come in the plastic holder and the holder is tan.

post-4-1222274585_thumb.jpg

1997-2000 used bulbs. 2001-2004 used leds. You service guy may not be up on the old cars.

Hitting the top of the instrument cluster sometimes makes it work if the bulbi is not burned out. You can clean the contacts for the bulb, but since you have to remove the cluster to do this you might as well replace them at he same time.

Thanks much. I printed-out several of the threads here on RennTech on this subject. I think it's something I can tackle. I'm sure the service dept. won't even think about opening-up the instrument cluster and replacing a single bulb.

Do you recommend replacing all 3 bulbs since when the instrument cluster is out and opened?

Tim,

Here's a thread that covers opening the instrument cluster to change light bulbs:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry22673

Hope it helps,

Bill

Any writeups on how to change "all" of the LEDS (IC, A/C, Windows, etc) from amber to something else? I haven't really seen anything other than people saying "it's going to be difficult... you need to solder stuff... etc"

just curious

Tim,

Here's a thread that covers opening the instrument cluster to change light bulbs:

Hope it helps,

Bill

Any writeups on how to change "all" of the LEDS (IC, A/C, Windows, etc) from amber to something else? I haven't really seen anything other than people saying "it's going to be difficult... you need to solder stuff... etc"

just curious

I've been browsing this subject and I did not see any comments indicating that soldering was required.

Not sure about changing the color. I would assume the bulb is clear (at least it looks clear) and the color (amber on my 986) is from the plastic covering on the instrument cluster.

Tim,

Hope it helps,

Bill

just curious

Well, I know i've seen mention of people wanting to "change the amber" color on their A/C displays, window buttons etc, in the car... but I haven't actually heard of anyone actually doing it, or seen a writeup. My A/C display is starting to go as is, so replacing the LEDs would probably be in my best interest anyways.

I've been browsing this subject and I did not see any comments indicating that soldering was required.

Not sure about changing the color. I would assume the bulb is clear (at least it looks clear) and the color (amber on my 986) is from the plastic covering on the instrument cluster.

I'm a little confused as to how many bulb there are per LCD display. I see it mentioned that there is one per LCD display (total of 3), but the pictures indicate there could be more. Without having opened-up and instrument cluster, its hard to determine exactly how many bulbs there are.

This picture looks like there is only one per LCD display: post-1862-1222282273_thumb.jpg

But in this picture there appears to be 3 bulbs just for the center LCD display: post-1862-1222282409_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

This is being made way to complicated for the LED disply bulbs. Part number is 999 631 303 90 and they are 1.5 watts.

There are 3 bulbs for each LED, and I have 3 yellow lines going to them. They are on the back of the cluster and the cluster does not need to be opened up to replace them.

There is a row of 1.2 watt bulbs in black holders on the outside of the cluster, but they are for the idiot lights.

There are also bulbs inside the cluster, but they have nothing to do with the LEDs.

post-4-1222286703_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
yes, indivisual bulb can be replaced.

I hate the factory amber, so I'm doing a cluter LED swap next week

So obviously to replace one bulb you needed to remove the instrument cluster. I can see from the photos that you can replace them without seperating the cluster. How do you get the instrument cluster out of the dash? I have a bulb out on a 98' Boxster, specifically the one that illuminates the clock and oil pressure, which I want to replace.

Edited by rapisano

• Admin
yes, indivisual bulb can be replaced.

I hate the factory amber, so I'm doing a cluter LED swap next week

So I assume to replace 1 bulb you needed to remove the instrument cluster? I have a bulb out on a 98' Boxster (specifically the one that illuminates the clock), how do I get to it?

See the two previous posts...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd tag onto this one.

My instrument lights (not the LCDs) have suddenly gone out. I doubt three bulbs could all go out at the same time. I've checked all the fuses. All external lights work fine. I've turned the little knob to increase intensity, but it does not work at all beyond resetting the odometer. Where and how would I look for a short in the wiring?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just FYI, I just replaced the one of the bulbs in the instrument cluster. The left most bulb, which illuminates the odometer, went out a few weeks ago. The rest of the instrument panel lighting was OK.

I used this link for instructions to separate the instrument cluster from the car. I actually did not need to remove all the wire connections to completely remove the cluster from the car. There were four wire connections to the cluster.

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/cluster.htm

I didn't have to open up the instrument cluster. I just used a flat head screw drive to remove the bulb in the back of the instrument cluster, then put in the new bulb. That's it.

This is a 99 Boxster. Hope this info helps.

tomas