Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Snapped Crankshaft (with pics)

I'm about to replace my clutch and probably my flywheel. I'm considering using a LWF but this is the first I've heard of a balance issue. I have some questions. Please excuse my ignorance, I'll try to be concise. (this is for a daily driver thats only driven hard about 1% of the time)

Doesn't the factory balance cranks and flywheels separately so that any pair would be balanced as a unit?

If they balance the whole assembly together then wouldn't replacing the stock factory flywheel with an identical OEM flywheel be just as bad as an aftermarket flywheel? (balance wise not considering any dampening effect)

I see some aftermarket flywheels advertised as checked for "zero-balance". Is that true for OEM replacements?

Does the dual mass flywheel dampen vibration to the point that no balancing is required? Even at the factory?

One thing I can tell you is after I had my aftermarket flywheel installed the transmission is noticably louder on acceleration and at idle. On the positive note the car appears to reach the higher RPM's faster.

What clutch did you use? The OEM unsprung or an aftermarket sprung-hub clutch? I'm also wondering if the clutch in the OP was sprung or not. This could make a significant difference.

Forget all that I say Bravo! 12,000 track miles, operating beyond the engines manufactured capacity. That is amazing pure and simple, I have not seen 12kmiles track racing and you don't want to know the failures I've had! This should not come as a surprise, but unless you're gonna break the engine down and inspect it after every race as the pro's do then you couldn't hope to know about it and I would have to say that even with an inspection you would not find it. :D

Amen! If you're gonna race, stress, push, and abuse it; be prepared to pay to play.