Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Tiptronic Shifting Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 djmads41

djmads41

• Members
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted October 25, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Recently bought a used 2002 Boxster S and really love the car. I have a question about the tiptronic transmission. When in drive mode and in 5th gear the transmission seems to kick down slightly when accelerating, but does not shift into 4th. Likewise on shifting up it appears to go into a bit of an overdrive. Is this normal? Doug

#2 Opposite Lock

Opposite Lock

• Members
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted October 25, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hello, djmads41. I have the exact same problem (if it is a problem), but it happens in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. The revs kick up about 200rpm. This usually happens on a light throttle going uphill. I had the transmission oil and filter changed, then Porsche reprogrammed the transmission. There was some improvement, but it's still doing it. It's quite annoying.

First Porsche: 1999 Boxster S Tiptronic

#3 djmads41

djmads41

• Members
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted October 26, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hi Opposite, Actually mine does the same thing in the other gears as well. Not a big deal, but I did call my service tech and he said it was normal???

#4 Beelzy

Beelzy

• Members
  • 169 posts
Neutral

Posted October 26, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Mine exhibits a shift phenom once in a while as well. Mostly when I'm driving the twisty foothill roads. They should call it the Trip-Tronic tranny. Trippy alright. :P:lol:

I lke to drive fast....and have the tickets to prove it!

#5 djmads41

djmads41

• Members
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:23 PM

Talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he indicated it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. Seems to make sense to me. Doug

#6 dragonwind

dragonwind

• Members
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted November 14, 2008 - 02:06 PM

djmads41 is correct. Years ago I had a Buick and learned a lot about automatic transmissions. Torque converters work off of hydrolic fluid with one set of blades pushing the fluid that moves the other set. At certain points (only one on my old Buick) a direct connection is made. The surge you see in the RPM is when that connection turns off. If it didn't you would stall out at a stop sign because when it's like having a clutch. Chris

#7 rudysvar

rudysvar

• Members
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:51 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I have a 2002 boxster S as well and have noticed the same problem. I did change the speedo though and since then it stared. Im not sure if one has anthing to do with the other but can someone help??

Hello, djmads41. I have the exact same problem (if it is a problem), but it happens in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. The revs kick up about 200rpm. This usually happens on a light throttle going uphill.

I had the transmission oil and filter changed, then Porsche reprogrammed the transmission. There was some improvement, but it's still doing it. It's quite annoying.

#8 rudysvar

rudysvar

• Members
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted January 10, 2009 - 02:56 PM

Talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he indicated it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. Seems to make sense to me. Doug

I have a 2002 s model doing the same thing, did you find out any other information on this issue?
pls help
thank you
rudy :D

#9 RFM

RFM

• Moderators
  • 3,362 posts
Excellent

Posted January 11, 2009 - 01:07 AM

All Z.F. make Tiptronics have this in greater or lesser range, you can feel the lock working to eleminate slip between the engine and the gearbox, depending on load and RPM. Nothing to worry about.

Life starts @ 7.000 RPM

#10 the-goose

the-goose

• Members
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted July 10, 2009 - 05:44 PM

This sounds awfully similar to a problem I'm experiencing with both my 2.5l Boxter Tipronic and the 993 Tiptronic. It is less pronounced in the boxster but in the 993 feels like a slipping clutch - extremely annoying. I initially thought the rpm changes was associated with the variocam change, but it happens with almost every gearchange. I feel the "slipping" sensation more on upchanges, but on downchanges the sensation is slightly different. For example, when I going around a tight corner at around 20mph, I lift the throttle, rpm drops, go round the corner and then press the throttle to get out of the corner there is a distinct "void" or "neutral" feeling of half a second before the tranny engages again and jumps into action... I know the fluid has never been changed because the seal is still on the plug - the car is due its 60k mile service. Is there an easy fix out there? Thanks!

#11 Beelzy

Beelzy

• Members
  • 169 posts
Neutral

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:14 AM

The fix for the rounding the corner issue is to "Goose It". :P Or downshift with the paddles and the tranny will keep the RPMs consistent through the turn.

I lke to drive fast....and have the tickets to prove it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org